Crazy Parent

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by ChildWhisperer, Sep 12, 2016.

1. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Sep 12, 2016

School started last week for us, but I had a girl start today. She's 4, will be 5 next month. Dad dropped her off, seemed really nice, made conversation with us, etc etc.
    First thing I thought was weird was while playing in Dramatic Play, she came up to me with a toy popcorn bucket and said she had to throw it away because it was dirty. I told her okay because I thought she was playing, but she ended up throwing it in the real trash can!
    Second thing - she was adamant about not wanting to play outside. I told her she had to come outside with us because that's part of our day. She even suggested we go outside while she play inside. She was super cautious outside, walking slowly, including up the stairs. One of the other kids was impatient so rushed past her and bumped into her a tiny bit. So small, she moved maybe an inch! But she held her cheek, looked at me, and made a small crying sound. I told her she was fine and she moved on.
    Third thing - during snack, one of the kids opened his chip bag and his juice flew and spilled all over her pants. She started saying "my mom's going to be so mad at me" over and over again. I kept reassuring her it was okay, it was an accident, accidents happen, etc. And then she turned to the boy and said "you need to apologize to me"
    This was at the end of the day so about 5 minutes after the spill, her dad came in to pick her up. HE even started saying "my wife is not going to be happy, she's going to cuss me out". He seemed so worried!
    An hour later, I got a phone call.
    Guess who.
    Mom.
    She yelled at me for 13 minutes (I kept staring at the timer on the phone screen (land line)) about how she sends her baby to school for one day and she comes home with a bruised cheek and soiled pants. Why are we having them brush their teeth at school when she brushes at home. Why didn't we move her before the other kid spilled his juice. Why didn't we call them when she got "hurt" on the playground. Why did we let her sit in wet pants. Why don't we use straws at school. Why didn't we let her stay inside when she had told us she didn't want to go outside. Then she went on to ask how old I was and if I had any children and said she's raised 3 kids so she knows more than me (even though I had told her she didn't need to know my age or if I had kids). She said when she starts feeling better, she's going to start going to school with her daughter and stay with her, but until then, it'll be her dad staying with her at school. She went on and on. Wouldn't let me talk. I started interrupting to give her answers but she spoke over me. At this point, one of the teachers got our supervisor, but she was not as nice as me and told her what was up lol.
    This is my 7th year of teaching and I've never had a parent yell at me or get angry with me. So this was all new to me!
    Now I'm nervous about tomorrow. Luckily, dad is really nice, but what am I supposed to say knowing how his wife is? You can tell he is scared of his wife

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 13, 2016

Have the office screen calls and do not talk to her if she is going to scream at you.

4. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 13, 2016

I would have ended that conversation after 3 minutes.

"I'm sorry, I have work to do. If you have further complaints please contact my administrator. Good day."

5. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Sep 13, 2016

She ended up talking to 3 different people from admin and they were all so upset with her.
    Daughter didn't come back today; Mom is going to homeschool her until she's required to start school at age 6

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 13, 2016

Sounds like you have dodged a bullet!

7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 13, 2016

Maybe the mom is OCD.
    I was thinking the same thing.

8. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Sep 13, 2016

Some parents are annoying... I would say, "Please direct further concerns to our complaint department."

[​IMG]

9. Gimet

Gimet Rookie

Sep 15, 2016

That poor little girl; that's so sad.

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 15, 2016

Some people seriously should not breed. I feel sorry for the kid and the husband (although he might not be too bright if he got mixed up with her in the first place).

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 15, 2016

Awesome. Pity her kindergarten teacher!

SpecialPreskoo likes this.
  12. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 16, 2016

No school can make a mama like that happy. She'll homeschool her for now on more likely.