Crazy girl....

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by skittleroo, Sep 2, 2009.

1. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Sep 2, 2009

I have a girl that is smart and sweet ----- most of the time. However, when she receives an answer she doesn't like, she pouts BIG TIME! She turns around and starts making noises and then she crawls around room, under tables and continues to pout. When I tell her to return or go sit at seat she REFUSES to move. Then she makes a scene.

I ignore it and most of the time that works and she returns to the group. However, it didn't today. She wouldn't even move when our counselor came in to get her. It took about 2 hours for her to finally return to class - of course then she was fine the rest of the day.

This has happened multiple times since last week (school started). Parents warned me she had been kicked out of daycare and that she does this at home. They said her tantrums last up to a couple of hours at home.

What do I do??? It's one thing to ignore and let her act like a tantruming 2 year old, but I can see this behavior bleeding over to others (you know the look like - Hmmm she does it, so can I?)

Ideas, suggestions???

3. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Sep 3, 2009

Is she ready for K? She does not sound as if she is ready emotionally.

4. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Sep 3, 2009

I would be getting with the counselor and administration and setting up a plan (and the parents afterward).

But - for some in class intervention - so you can say you've tried things in the room, have a "cool-off box" ready for her. Have some think papers in there along with some crayons, a pencil, some play dough (to squeeze and let out anger), a mirror (to look at her own facial expression), ....and I forgot what else I had in the box. Whenever she feels herself needing to cool off, she can go to a special spot in the room and do something from her 'cool-off' box and return to class when ready.

Document every time she throws a tantrum and what you try to do to help.

5. AFWifeNGermany

AFWifeNGermany Rookie

Sep 4, 2009

I must have her twin! Mine also was asked to leave day care. :)

Today she threw herself on the floor when she couldn't get her binder in her backpack. So fun.

I have been trying to ignore or be VERY stern with the bad behavior and over praise the good choices. Seems to help but we just aren't there yet!

It's gonna be a long year!

6. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Sep 4, 2009

Have you tried the Love & Logic approach?

7. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Sep 4, 2009

I would work out something with the counselor- if you document when she has these tantrums, maybe you can find a pattern- are they happening after a certain activity, a certain time of day? For instance, if she seems to be fine in the morning but has trouble in the afternoon, see if the counselor can come pick her up to take a walk just so she gets a little break- it might help just for her to be out of the classroom for a little while!

8. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Sep 5, 2009

I do document and yes I do use love and logic. I have spoke to parents and admin, counselor. Things are going better. But I feel she is a ticking timebomb that could explode at any moment. I am going to try the personal place where she can go and get out her anger and see if that helps. Thanks everybody!

9. Mrs.Z.

Mrs.Z. Companion

Sep 5, 2009

Makes you wish SUPERNANNY worked Kinder classrooms!

10. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Sep 5, 2009

:lol: I have thought that a few times!

11. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Sep 5, 2009

LOL- I always think that when I see the show!!! Maybe that should be the next reality TV show!! :haha: