Crazy field trip!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by FourSquare, Jun 7, 2013.

1. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jun 7, 2013

Real Things That Happened Today At Our Navy Pier Field Trip:

• I am forced to intervene when a group of unsupervised children begins arguing and one throws a water bottle across McDonalds. NOT a group from my school.
    • My student forgets his money for the rides and I remind him that he refused to use his agenda to write down that he needed money. Daily. For two weeks. He proceeds to have a curse-filled meltdown in the middle of everyone.
    • A chaperone sidetracks 4 of my kids to the bar for a much needed rum and coke. :eek: She responds to my surprised face by asking if I'd like one. If only! :rolleyes:

It was actually a good trip overall, but very dramatic! Any field trip horror stories? :lol:

3. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Habitué

Jun 7, 2013

Yikes! :)

The best I can do is a trip to the park with a Kindergarten kiddo with diarrhea and at least 20 trips to the restroom. :)

Of course, years ago, I also had the joy of taking two groups of 18 Head Start kids through a WalMart while holding a rope....that was some special fun. :D

4. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Jun 7, 2013

Oye vey!

The only field trip mishap as a teacher happened while on maternity leave-one of the teachers scheduled a bus for the wrong day! Not sure how it was fixed.

As a student, I remember taking a bus to San Diego for a band performance and one of my peers got car sick in the back of the bus while we were driving downhill..gravity brought it up to the front. :( Needles to say it was pretty gross!

5. AHS_Fan

AHS_Fan Rookie

Jun 7, 2013

I had a parent chaperone who "got bored" and decided to leave suddenly with her child AND 2 other children.

The icing on the cake? She didn't see fit to tell anyone she was leaving. We spent the next 30 minutes frantically searching and calling until we finally found out what happened.

:rolleyes:

6. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jun 8, 2013

A student's parent fell asleep at lunch on one of our field trips a few weeks ago. Said parent has also dosed off in the classroom before though, so it wasn't that much of a difference.

7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Phenom

Jun 8, 2013

The rum and coke takes the cake. Wow.

8. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 8, 2013

Okay, now that's just funny about the rum and coke! Love that the chaperone asked if you wanted one too!

9. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 8, 2013

My school took our students on a field trip downtown on Thursday -- open to the public. My principal made us take EVERY student. Working in a school where every student has severe behaviours, this is not the order that we like to receive.

I had a student (the one I would have left behind) start giving everyone the finger and trying to run away within 2 minutes of getting off of the bus. About 15 minutes later while looking at the displays he threw something at one of the presenters and started swearing. I had enough and sent my class with my assistants and sat him on a chair away from the public but beside a security guard -- I told him that if the security guard tells him that he has to go then he has no choice but to go back to school.;) We then went for lunch and we sat at our own table beside another security guard :lol:. It didn't stop him from swearing and self-harming himself for a few minutes though. At our first 40 min. presentation, I had to carry him out within 5 minutes of it beginning (swearing and self-harming). He was able to be in the room for about 8 minutes in total. After 2.5 hours of our lovely fieldtrip, he finally sat quietly for a play but he decided to give kids the middle finger and attempted to attack them on the way to the bus. I had to restrain his arm (behind his back), while we walked past 2 police officers.:whistle:

10. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jun 8, 2013

:lol: rum and coke.....

I once had a kid run from me in a museum type setting. I had to chase him up several flights of stairs.

Another time I had a parent curse at a student and scream at them for misbehavior. :eek:

11. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Jun 8, 2013

Wow! It sounds like you really could have used a rum and coke. :angel:

12. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 8, 2013

Unfortunately this wasn't my worst field trip memory. :lol:

I once took my mild autism class on a social skills field trip to the Dollar Tree about 20 minutes from school in another county. They had to pick one item within a certain price limit, go to the cash register to pay for it, accept the change and wait for the cashier to place it in a bag before taking it. Well, this student didn't want to have his item placed in a bag and when I told him that he needed a bag, he lost it! It all happened in slow motion -- he ran down an aisle in the store, screaming at the top of his lungs, I was chasing him down and then a customer pushed her cart in front of him slowing him down just enough for me to catch him. I had to carry him (he was about 80 lbs) out of the store into the bus while he was screaming at the top of his lungs. The class had to wait in the store for about 10 minutes before he would calm down. To top things off, I went to the lunchroom the next morning and one of the lunch ladies says,"I saw you with your class at the Dollar Tree yesterday..." - I quickly paid and got out of there ::lol:

13. lbradley1718

lbradley1718 Comrade

Jun 8, 2013

:lol::lol::lol:

14. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jun 9, 2013

Ohhhh, Special Ed field trips! :wub:

I didn't even mention...one of my girls tried to pay for lunch with a pile of change. Now, my kids are learning, but they're not the greatest at counting money. :| :lol: I felt so sorry for the eleven people behind us in line. :whistle:

15. blazer

blazer Groupie

Jun 9, 2013

Was it the Billy Goat Tavern? The beer in there is good!

When I was over at Easter the one day we went to Navy Pier it was absolutly over run with Elementary schools!

On our very first field trip to Chicago with High Schoolers from the UK we had spent the week 'dry'. On the last day we went to the Pier and after setting them free my colleague said that she was desperate for a drink and took us to a bar. We chose the Billy Goat because it is at the back of the pier away from the stuff the kids like. We were just putting the glasses to our lips when one of the students put her head round the door. She was the only one in the group that was over 18. She was really disappointed that because in the US you have to be 21 to go in a bar that she couldn't join us (In the UK it is 18)

16. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 9, 2013

Oh my gosh yes it does.....

17. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 9, 2013

:spitwater:

18. Rox

Rox Cohort

Jun 10, 2013

I had to take my special ed students to a museum once. We requested a bus with wheelchair access. When it arrived, the bus driver didn't know how to make it work. My student had to be carried onto the bus. When we arrived, our principal was there, so I apprised him of the situation (he was the one who forced us to set up this field trip), and he had no choice but to carry the kid off the bus himself. While he was (awkwardly) carrying the kid, the kid sneezed the biggest sneeze ever and his shoe somehow flung off into the crowd. He hasn't made us go on a field trip since :thumb:

19. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Jun 10, 2013

I have a doozy.

I was a chaperone on a high school trip to Europe. Our group was so large that they split us into two groups for flights. In my group it was me and another chaperone plus 10 kids - 6 were under my "jurisdiction" and 4 were under the other chaperones.

Because we were taking 3 flights, I gave the 6 girls in my small group only the boarding pass they needed for the next flight. I kept the others. This is important for later.

It began in Amsterdam, when we were boarding to come back to North America. We were going through security, where they scan our carry-ons. Well, the kid in front of me apparently had water in his bag. They told him to drink it or throw it away. He drank it. They re-scanned. They told him again that he had fluid in his bag, so they searched it and found a half empty bottle of Sprite. He looks at them plain-faced and said "I don't know who put that in there" Are you kidding me, kid??? Extra search for that one.

We boarded the flight and it was fine. 9 hours to Washington Dulles. 8 hours in, they give us customs forms to fill out. Great. We depart and all 12 of us are standing in a group. The other chaperone starts walking away and most of the kids follow him. Except for two boys who hadn't filled out their customs form and were doing it there. I didn't want to leave them, so I hung back with them, expecting to catch up with the others.

When they were done, we walked down a hallway and were greeted by a very nice airport employee who asked "Just arriving in Washington?" Sleep deprived me said that we were (not recognizing the difference between "arriving" and "transferring"). He ushered us onto a tram. We noticed that the others in our group were not there. I figured they were on another tram and that we would meet up later. Nope.

We arrived at the other terminal and when we exited we were on a walkway that overlooked a large room filled with people waiting in line. We didn't see our group, so I told the boys to wait there while I ran downstairs to check. I knew things were wrong when I saw down escalators, but no up. I turned and saw a security guard speaking with another man. As I approached, I heard the man say to the security guard that he had gotten on the wrong tram. The security guard was very nice to him and pointed out the employee he needed to talk to. The man walked away and I approached the security guard. I said "I think we may have done the same thing" Well, the security guard YELLED at me. "What are you waiting for!!!! You need to follow that guy!!!!" Freaked out, the boys and I go running after the other man.

We get to the employee and I explain that we got on the wrong tram. We were supposed to transfer to our flight to Chicago. He was really nice and told us we would have to go through customs and then re-enter security. He pointed us to the only short line in the room - for American citizens only. When I explained that we were Canadian, he then pointed us to the LONGEST line in the room. I had to BEG him to help us cut line. Our flight was in an hour and 15 minutes. So he did, much to the anger of the 300 people in line ahead of us.

So, that done, we go and speak to ANOTHER employee who tells us that we need to wait for our baggage and then re-check it. He tells me that this will be about 45 minutes. Great. I send one boy to one baggage carousel, I stay at another and I get the other boy to try and reach someone in our group by cell phone to tell them what is going on. No luck.

40 trying minutes later, we get our luggage. We follow the signs for baggage check and hand it over to the handler. He tells us to exit to the right. I look around and see...a square room. "Exit to the right" he says again. I see nowhere to exit. "To the right! To the right!" and points to a nondescript metal door. The two boys and I start walking and we hear a loud cackle behind us followed by "Y'all better run!!!!" That was enough to scare us into a run.

We burst through the metal doors to find that we are in the open part of the airport. We find security and stand in line. By this point, one boy has gotten in contact with the other chaperone and I am able to talk to him. He tells me he has everyone else and that they're waiting at the gate, despite my girls not having boarding passes (remember those? Yeah, they were in my bag). Fine. I tell the boys to take off their jackets and belts now, to get ready to go through security so we can get through as quick as possible.

Finally it's my turn. I hand over my passport and my boarding pass. As the guy is looking at it, I notice that I had handed him the boarding pass of one of my students (yep, they come into play AGAIN). I tell him so, then try to rummage around 21 boarding passes to find the right one. The dude notices and says "Ma'am...that's a lot of boarding passes" and looks to me and the two kids with me. A lot of explaining later gets me to the scanner thingy.

The woman who puts me in the scanner is super friendly and is chatting away with me the whole time. My two kids are past security at this point. Suddenly, she puts her hand to her earpiece and gets SUPER serious, all while staring at me. At this point, I FREAK because I'm trying to figure out how to get the boys to the gate without me, in 20 minutes, if they decide to search me more. Thankfully, they just needed to see my watch, which I neglected to take off.

So, they boys and I are running for the train. As we get to them, there is an announcement about which train goes where. I couldn't understand it. They boys just run onto the train. So, here I am, yelling at them that they just can't get on a train without knowing where it's going - that's how we got into this mess in the first place, yada, yada. Never in my life has a student shut me up like Elliott did that day. He turned to me, as I stood on the platform yelling at them and said "Mrs. Shanoo, GET. ON. THE. TRAIN!". I was so shocked, I did what he said. It was a good thing he knew what he was doing.

We made it to the gate with MINUTES to spare.

So, flight to Chicago made. Everything was fine. We get off in Chicago and are standing there kinda looking around. I was talking to the other chaperone when we noticed that one of our boys (the one with the water issues in Amsterdam) was talking with the gate attendant. The other chaperone goes to see what the issue is. As we're waiting, I see the chaperone getting angrier and angrier. He calls another boy over. There is a lot of hand-waving, and suddenly the two boys go running.

The other chaperone comes back and I ask him what happened. Apparently the first boy's carry on was too large, so they put it under the plane. He boy failed to take the claims tag, so the bag was sent to unclaimed luggage, and he refused to leave his address to have it sent to him. He wanted to run to unclaimed baggage to get it (keep in mind, we have an hour to our next flight). I guess the chaperone was so mad, he told the kids to do as they pleased, but if they missed the flight he was leaving them! That he got them back to the continent, they could make the rest of the way on their own. So, they ran to get the baggage.

I FREAKED. So, now I'm having a panic attack. I tell the other chaperone that we CAN'T leave two minors in a foreign country alone. He knew. He was freaking, too. He said that he was just so frustrated at the kid, he blurted it out and they took him up on it.

As the minutes rolled by, we were both sitting there mumbling to each other "What do we do? What do we do?" With five minutes to spare, the boys show up with the bag and on we board.

Finally, I thought. Next stop will be home. By this time, we had been travelling for 16+ hours. I was tired. I was hungry. I wanted my own bed. We get back to our home city, wait for our luggage (which, in this city, for international flights was in the secure area), only to find out that one girl's luggage didn't make it. So, there was ANOTHER 20 minutes spent helping her fill out the paperwork as her parents couldn't because we were still in the secure area.

I haven't chaperoned another school trip since.

20. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Phenom

Jun 10, 2013

I remember very much appreciating that when I was 20 and in the UK.

I have yet to find a pub anywhere in California that matches the quality of the ones in the middle of nowhere villages I lived in.

21. blazer

blazer Groupie

Jun 11, 2013

Yes, we are very big on pubs in the UK although they are currently closing at a rate of 1 per day!

I have to say though that the quality of American beer has improved beyond recognition in the 20 years I have been visiting the US. No longer is it just budwater. Most bars have several (sometimes over 20) micro brews available. The only dissapointing place is the United centre (Chicago) where it is still bud/bud light!