Cops tackled (in front of us) and arrested a guy at my school today--- how to deal

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Peachyness, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 10, 2013

How do I handle the trauma that my kids went through? A burglar was running from the cops (car chase) got out of his car and ran through our school with the cops after him. The chase ended right in front of us as we were heading to the classroom (I teach an afterschool program and we were on our way to start homework hour). I got my kids into the closest classroom, but they had seen enough to terrify them. I ended up having two kids go home (they just couldn't calm down and stop bawling).

My question is, how do I deal with this tomorrow. They are all aware of what happened in Connecticut and were crying about that incident... now this! I don't know how to handle this sort of thing. Personally, I tend to shut down. I don't feel equipped to be there for my kids tomorrow. I did my best today and told them they did a great job. I told them we all work hard to protect them.... But I still had many kids worrying about their safety. 90% of my kids wanted to stay in the classroom for recess (which we did). I had a handful who said they were over it. My kids wrote in their journals about what happened and I could tell it really affected them.

Any good ways to go about this and talk about it?

3. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jan 10, 2013

I would ask my school counselor to come speak to the class.

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 11, 2013

This is why doors should be locked, even after school.
    I would also ask a counselor.

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 11, 2013

You might also want to make arrangements for a resource officer or another uniformed officer to come to your class to talk. They should know that the police were protecting them and others, and the sight of them should not be a traumatic one. Putting a friendly face on the police could be a big help.

6. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Jan 11, 2013

I agree with others that trying to find someone with qualifications would be important - someone with a mental health background or specific training in this sort of thing. It may not require much intervention, but the right way of responding to kids' questions can make a difference. For example, while answering questions about the incident can be okay, it's good to focus more on how the school is safe and changes have been made to prevent further incidents, as opposing to dwelling on the situation itself. Also, it can be helpful to highlight the elements of the situation that showed positive response, control, and safety, such as the fact that the police officer was available and helpful when he needed to be, which shows that our officers are responding how they should be and keeping us safe. Little ways of phrasing things help kids form their thoughts about the situation, which can lead to more or less anxiety.

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 11, 2013

We actually do keep doors locked. We were on our way to the classroom when this took place.

Or did you mean the gates to the school? This is an issue I plan to bring up at today's meeting.

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 11, 2013

What's sad is some of these kids see the cops and DON'T associate them with being helpful. After the incident, some of my kids shared somethings with me about prior experiences with police officers in their journals..... :(

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 11, 2013

Yes, thank you. It'll be interesting to see how today goes. I wonder how many kids came to school and will be in our program afterschool...