COPIES

Discussion in 'General Education' started by lucybelle, Feb 18, 2013.

1. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Feb 18, 2013

How does your school handle copies?

My current school has turned making copies into such a freaking hassle I can barely stand it. At the school there is only 1 copy machine and 1 guy who operates it. In order to get anything copied you have to give what you want copied to a superior who will go to get it copied for you. Right now we don't have science books so I went to get some pages copied for the kids and they won't let me do it. Of course the lady I'm supposed to give them to is busy. :|

3. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Feb 18, 2013

We can use the copy machine whenever we want. We have a password so they can see how many copies each teacher makes. If $$$ gets tight and too many copies are being made according to the P, we are then put on limits on how many copies we can make.

I can see why you don't like your system. I wouldn't like it either. I am not sure if there is much you can do about it, unless you think you can get the P to change his/her mind.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 18, 2013

One of our aides used to do copies but the turn around time varied...teachers weren't allowed to make more than ingle copes on a small machine. We brought our questions regarding PTO volunteers were using the big copier for their flyers but that teachers weren't allowed to our administration. Now we can all make copes.

5. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Feb 18, 2013

We can all make copies. We can send them directly from our computer if we want. We can also go down and make copies with our password. There's no limit.

6. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Feb 18, 2013

Same. Before I worked at my school, they had to submit their copy orders to a central copy office and wait to get them back.

7. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Feb 18, 2013

We have 7 or 8 copiers in our HS, and no passwords or anything so we can make as much as we need. We also have a secretary who handles copies as her full job so if we have very large jobs, we can leave it with her.

8. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Feb 18, 2013

We have one big machine without a code that's supposed to be used for really big jobs (like copying for a whole grade level instead of just one class), but most people use it whenever they want.

Each teacher is also assigned to a smaller machine. We have a code for that machine, but no limit for black and white copies. We have a set number of color copies on that machine also- I think it's 500.

9. bison

bison Habitué

Feb 18, 2013

I've seen this done in different ways. Luckily, where I work, anyone can just go down and make copies. As an aide who runs copies for several teachers all the time, this makes things a LOT easier for me! It'd be a nightmare to keep track of all the various limits. The same applies to lamination.

10. ktdclark

ktdclark Comrade

Feb 18, 2013

We have one copier for the entire staff. We all have codes and the amount of our copies are monitored. Our machine breaks down about 1x /week which is infuriating!!!

11. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Feb 18, 2013

We can copy whatever we want but we have to type a code in. People who are using "too many" get "spoken too." If we want something in color, we have to submit it to admin and if they decide we need it, they'll print it in color for us. I've heard it's not worth it and haven't even tried. We have a "print shop" that will do bigger jobs for us and we can send things that we know we use (tests, etc.) there about 6 weeks in advance. One of my grade level teammates sends our reading tests and weekly homework (we have a reading test once a week). We used to send more but everything has to be approved by admin and we got accused of sending too much.

12. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Feb 18, 2013

Our school/district goes crazy about copies also and they try to put as many roadblocks in our path as possible.

Usually once a year, they pull the "No paper left" for the copier or budget to buy paper routine for one, two, or three weeks. After a period of time of us telling the kids outright that we're unable to give them outlines, reviews, or supplemental reading material, a few parents call to complain and then paper magically appears again and the administrators shut up about the copies.

;)

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 18, 2013

Would the problem be solved if you turned in your copy requests earlier, like a week before you need them?

Why wouldn't they copy the science pages you wanted? Was it a copyright issue?

14. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Feb 18, 2013

I did turn them in a week ago. They haven't done them yet. Today I had to teach biology without all the things I needed for the class I planned. For the books I was told they would be in today, and of course they weren't.

I think the purpose of the getting a supervisor to "authorize" copies is to cut down on the amount of copies teachers make.

15. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Feb 18, 2013

I am blessed and I know it. We have 3 copiers, can use them whenever we want, and I have a very fair amount. I think it's 15,000 for the year. I hardly ever have to make a copy for Math unless it's an assessment or something a little different than what the district supplies for us. My first 2 years teaching we had to give our copies to a TA at least 24 hrs in advance and we were very limited. It was awful, I DO feel your pain.

16. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Feb 18, 2013

We make our own copies.

Where I attended school (and a neighboring district I student taught in) had copy rooms in a particular building. You sent it out.

17. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Comrade

Feb 18, 2013

We have one copier for the building we can use whenever we want. This is the first year we don't have codes and limits. However, they have a tendency to lock the copy room when the last bus leaves (that's when our day is over) so staying after school to make copies for the week doesn't always work out. I figured that out the hard way.

18. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Feb 18, 2013

It's a nightmare. We have 1 copier for a k-8 school . We do our own copying. Many teachers come in on Saturday (if the building is open) We have to buy our own paper, I got $250 dollars at the beginning of the year.

I am lucky as I have my own printer through my sped department. They supply the ink for the printer. I often find work online and print it out in my room to avoid the copy room.

19. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 18, 2013

We have several copy centers on campus. We can copy whenever we want. Thankfully we don't have to get it looked at and improved before copying like at my old school. We do have to use our ID, but that's so they can keep tabs on how many copies are being made. It's a very simple and easy process for which I am very thankful.

20. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Aficionado

Feb 18, 2013

We make our own copies and copy whatever/whenever we want.

If we're making huge packets (for example, each year we make packets with CST Release Questions) we send those off to the district Print Shop. It takes about two weeks to get our order in, though, so we have to plan ahead.

21. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 18, 2013

Almost the same...we don't have a password.