Copies - Need answers

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by JLT63, Oct 28, 2010.

1. JLT63

JLT63 Rookie

Oct 28, 2010

I would like to ask everyone a question. Does your school/district impose a copy limit?

If so, what is your limit and do you feel you get enough with which to teach?

Many of my teacher friends just roll their eyes when they hear that I have a copy limit at my school, because they think it's rather absurd.

I'm sure other schools impose copy limits, and I'd love to know what they are.

My school gives us 1,000 per month (per classroom, regardless of the number of students we have).

I feel like I barely have enough to get through my lessons (about 2 copies, per child, per day), and that doesn't include homework, extra sheets for students who need to redo, etc. I find SOOOO many good ideas online, but so many of them required me to copy something. Since I only get enough for one math sheet and one Language arts sheet per day, I never have enough for writing, social studies, science, health, etc.

Copy paper isn't the issue, they just won't give us access to more than 1,000 copies per month. They don't roll over either, so I have to be on the ball to copy for the next month during months like December when we have a few extra copies to spare because of the holidays.

I really hate the limits imposed on copies, and I just wondered if others have the same struggle and if you've found a way around it besides spending your own money at the copy shop.

I am a tree lover, so I myself don't want to go "hog wild" on copies, but there are times I wish I had more that just 2 per student, per day.

I do lots of hands-on games and activities, but many times even those require a few copies. I can barely spare them.

Just wanted to commiserate! :)

3. ami6880

ami6880 Companion

Oct 28, 2010

Ugh, we don't have a copy limit, how ever if you copy what they think is too much you get an angry e-mail from administration. We do have a print shop where we can either send our requests or transfer a file, which is great, but there are many times where you have to make copies at the last minute.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 28, 2010

Our graphics center has limits on how many copies we can make at a time. It's usually 50 copies of anything, i.e. a class set. If we want to make copies for individual students, we need special administrator approval (which they usually give). As long as we aren't abusing the system, everything is fine. When you start making 25-page packets for each of the 200 kids on your roster, that's when you get a talking to....

We also get two cases of paper per year, one at the start of each semester. We can use that paper to do whatever we want, including making our own copies, however many we want.

I don't make tons of copies, mainly because I prefer to avoid lots of unnecessary consumption. Whenever I do copy, I try to make my stuff fit on a half-sheet and I always use front and back. That way I only use about 1/4 as much paper as I would otherwise.

Does your school provide printer cartridges? It's probably not the greatest idea, but you might be able to print out copies just using your printer. You'll go through toner a lot faster, obviously, but it might be a solution to consider.

5. Momma C

Momma C Comrade

Oct 28, 2010

We do not have a limit on copies -- we also don't have a graphics center or photo shop. We are given a case of paper each 9-weeks, which is to last that session. However, we are also free to get more should the need arise. Our biggest problem is folks waiting til the last minute to make their copies, then they hover around the copier every morning from about 7:20 to 7:45. I have 7:00 AM duty, so I just come in a few minutes early.

6. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Oct 28, 2010

We don't have a copy limit, but they have been telling us for about 5 years that we were going to start having to put our codes in to keep track of our copies.

7. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Oct 29, 2010

I don't have a copy limit, but have you thought about shrinking down some of your worksheets? I have noticed that a lot of worksheets have a lot of unnecessary wasted space. Sometimes I do two math sheets on the same page (so kids get a half-sheet everyday). I like that it is not an overwhelming amount of problems, and saves on the copying.

8. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Oct 29, 2010

Same copy limit as yours. It's not about the paper. It's about the cost of the "clicks". I agree. It's a pain in the neck.

9. mrsleapfrog

mrsleapfrog Companion

Feb 17, 2011

We don't have a limit but are only given a case of paper per nine weeks.

10. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Feb 17, 2011

We don't have a limit per se but just recently we were given sticky notes as to how many copies we had made in a month. 70% of the teachers were at 2000 (we have 30+ kids in our class) and I looked at it and said to myself "so......what" Apparently, that's too many but we don't have a writing, science, or social studies curriculum! Seriously, what do they expect?! Not only that but especially with lower elementary it's not as easy as admin makes it sound to just have them copy everything! It's ridiculous and I'm done worrying about it.

11. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Feb 17, 2011

We don't have a copy limit or a code. I just walk into the copy room and make as many as I need. I have never heard of a limit.

12. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Feb 17, 2011

same here . . .

13. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Feb 17, 2011

oh, and one thing we discovered as teachers is that even though we double side our paper it's still counting as TWO copies.

14. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Feb 17, 2011

Do you have a printer in your classroom? Do they limit your ink? I would make multiple copies that way.....we're not limited but I know teachers do that at my school to save time...its more expensive in the long run though.

15. jsgirl

jsgirl Rookie

Mar 5, 2011

We have to use a code but have never been told how many our limit is - weird! Also, one thing I do is laminate some copies of papers that I can use repeatedly and they use a dry erase marker on them. This works well for practice pages or in guided reading groups, etc. but doesn't work for a paper that you need to grade b/c it will rub off easily.

16. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Mar 5, 2011

At my first school 5 years ago we had a limit of 500 per month. We were given exactly 10 reams of copy paper per year and that was all we were allowed to get.

That year I got so used to cramping as much as I could on a sheet and I thought very carefully what I wanted to be copied. I would copy tests and tell students not to write on them so I could reuse them with other classrooms. This was a huge challenge considering that we were departamentalized and I taught 5 classes. The poor students had to copy a lot of problems from the projectors and I also gave a lot of quizzes from the projector.

At my current school we have a limit of 1000 copies and double sided count as two. So, it's a little better.

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 5, 2011

We have no limit, but we're asked to "be green" as much as is reasonble: to use half sheets when possible, and to recycle.

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 5, 2011

19. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Mar 5, 2011

It's ridiculous that some districts complain teachers make too many copies. With preparing our students for the "big test," we have to make a lot of copies!

Our district gives a certain amount of clicks. I bought my own copy machine!!!!! It's crazy!

20. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Mar 5, 2011

Last year, we had copy limits of 1500 per month, and admin told us they'd roll over each month. So for the first few months, we all scrimped and saved, thinking ahead to our semester exams. And then admin decided that, you know what? Copies DON'T roll over after all. We were so mad! If I'd known that, I would have copied weeks ahead to make sure that I didn't squander any of my allowed copies.

Also, our copy code was FIVE DIGITS of our SSN. To me, that's entirely too personal.

At that school, we were provided with a laptop, but no printer. I paid for my own printer and ink, and it saved me (and several other teachers) many times when our ONE off-brand, no-name copier went down for days at a time.

This year, we don't have limits, per se, but we were told that when each department is out of paper, that's it. Our paper budget was cut in half from what it was last year. It must have been HUGE last year because the math department alone makes an insane number of copies. We have textbooks, but we don't use them. There are days where each kid (I have 100) gets three worksheets!

The best part about my school is that we have a copy room aide who makes all of our copies for us. She's taken a shine to me for some reason, so I always get my copies super fast, and oftentimes, she'll have one of her TAs deliver them right to my room! It's awesome, but I'm afraid that's a position that might be cut due to budget constraints next year. Then again, I might be gone too, so...nevermind.

Also, this year, the school provided the printer AND extra toner! I've made it through this whole year so far with the same toner that the teacher before me used last year. I'm about to have to change it out, but I've tried to be as frugal as possible with my toner settings.

This is really long. I guess I get really excited about making copies.

21. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 5, 2011

We have a copy limit for the year, which differs by department, and if we go over it we have to pay for the rest of them. Our copies on the riso are "free" but you have to make at least 75 to use it.