Cooperative Preschools

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by eternalsaudade, May 23, 2014.

1. eternalsaudade

eternalsaudade Companion

May 23, 2014

So I am being considered for a position in a cooperative preschool for the Fall and the program seems amazing, but I am definitely nervous about the cooperative component as it'd be a new experience for me and the thought of being watched by parents is a little scary, although I am pretty confident in my teaching abilities.

Does anyone have experience working in a coop preschool? How was your experience? Did you find it difficult to adjust to having parents in the classroom?

Alternatively, has anyone ever participated in a coop preschool as a parent? Do you have any advice/words of wisdom for a potential teacher?

Thanks!

3. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

May 23, 2014

I LOVE teaching parent participation preschool. The key is to keep them busy, have guidelines and respect everyone. I have done it for almost 20 years and think I have the best job in the world.

4. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 27, 2014

I have both taught and been a parent of a co-op preschool. As a teacher, I had no issues. The secret is to keep them busy.

I found as a parent, I was not given enough to do.

5. DiscoveringMe

DiscoveringMe Rookie

Jun 11, 2014

I was a parent at a co-op preschool for three years, and I just finished my first year of teaching at a co-op. LOVE it! I will echo what the others have suggested... Keep the parents busy. We have job cards. On average there are four working parents each day, and there is a job card for each one. It gives a detailed list of what needs to be done and when. I also have a list of extra projects that can be done, time permitting. Those might include refilling paint containers, cutting easel-sized paper, organizing books, etc.

Honestly, I was so focused on the kids each day that I never really noticed if I was being watched or not. If I have a child who developmentally is not ready for circle time (or a child who just decides "no" on any given day) I love being able to have a parent keep that child busy elsewhere so I can focus on the story or whatever we're doing.

I learned so much this year about teaching and classroom management. Next year I'll definitely communicate much higher expectations to the parents so they don't think circle time and snack time are their breaks to check their phones. They are there to help, but don't know how unless you give them specifics.

6. brightstart123

brightstart123 Rookie

Jun 11, 2014

I have not experienced the things of cooperative preschool. But I think it would be easy to handle parents are kids if they are divided in groups. As if you divide responsibilities for an hour or two to parents for helping the kids in their studies or homework it would be great. You can also take the help from the parents in arts and crafts lessons in preschool. They will help the kids to paint or make any model.