Convocation

Discussion in 'General Education' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Aug 10, 2018 at 5:21 PM.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Aficionado

Aug 10, 2018 at 5:21 PM

Does your district do any sort of convocation where all teachers get together for a kick-off/pep rally before school starts? Just asking because we had ours today.

3. Aces

Aces Companion

Aug 10, 2018 at 5:25 PM

Yes – my district is having a BBQ tomorrow to welcome everyone back.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  4. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 10, 2018 at 5:27 PM

We do. It used to be fun with a section of the HS marching band or jazz band or a capella group and a speaker. Now it is five minutes with the Board president and Superintendent.

5. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Devotee

Aug 10, 2018 at 5:28 PM

We have in-service where all the teachers and administrators gather together in the auditorium, but that's about it.

6. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Aficionado

Aug 10, 2018 at 5:39 PM

Maybe I wasn't clear: ours is for the entire school district (all 18 schools and their employees). It's a huge event. It last 2 hours because they invite motivational speakers.

It turns into a reunion because you see people you usually only run into once/twice a year.

7. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 10, 2018 at 5:40 PM

Not really but usually lunch is provided one day and that kind of serves as a little kick off. I like the idea a lot though!

8. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2018 at 5:54 PM

Yep, every year. We always have a huge luncheon at a nearby restaurant and then go bowling — all paid for on the school’s dime! It’s great and last year I got four strikes in a row. ;)

9. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2018 at 5:54 PM

That’s doesn’t sound very exciting...

10. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Devotee

Aug 10, 2018 at 6:03 PM

Yeah, never said I worked at Chuck E.Cheese.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  11. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 10, 2018 at 8:51 PM

Yes, we have a full district kickoff. All of the districts I've worked in have done this. My current district is really small and we all fit in the HS auditorium. The band plays and they do a little presentation about the district with different celebrations for each school. A really annoying thing they started doing a few years ago is having each principal come down and personally introduce new staff members. They're obviously trying to play into the "small district" feel- but it still takes like 30 minutes and seems like a big waste of time to me.

The superintendent also makes what's supposed to be a motivational speech- my last super was way better at this than my current one. The gist of this year's speech was great job teachers on this growth that we're making, but many of our kids aren't meeting standards and you need to work harder for those kids :rolleyes:. After all of that we get some sort of catered lunch, which is usually really good.

12. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 10, 2018 at 9:32 PM

Mine does. It’s very similar to what youngteacherguy described. The band greets us, a local bank sponsors breakfast, the superintendent gives a “State of the District” presentation, we have a motivational speaker, and service awards are given out.

13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Aug 10, 2018 at 10:41 PM

Everyone in the district meets. There is breakfast, then time to visit vendors and community partners, and then there is the meeting. This year we had a board member say a few words, then the superintendent spoke briefly. After that, we watched skits by each school. There were some songs performed. There were door prizes. We had our picture made and posted to the district FB page. Once we finished there, we went back to our schools for meetings.

DH’s district is much larger. They don’t always meet as a group before school, though. This year he thinks they might because they just got a new superintendent. They don’t start until the 22nd. We had opening day Monday. Kids were postponed until the 13th due to construction.

Everyone in my district fits into the high school auditorium, but DH’s district meets at a nearby university.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018 at 10:54 PM
  14. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 11, 2018 at 5:31 AM

My current distict does this. We’re a relatively small district with only one building per level (early childhood, elementary, middle, high). We all get together for a themed kickoff celebration, complete with costumes (if people choose to participate). They serve us breakfast, new staff are introduced, and we hear from both the school board president and the superintendent. Then we play games as a whole district. It lasts roughly 2-2.5 hours. Then we head to our own buildings for meetings.

A former district that was much larger in comparison also did a kickoff. However, it didn’t involve breakfast, costumes, or games. It primarily involved speeches from the same people, plus a district graduate and the teacher of the year. There was usually an emotional slideshow as well.

15. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 11, 2018 at 8:45 AM

We have in the past, but teachers felt like the time and money involved would have been better spent in their classrooms. We don't do them anymore.

16. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Aug 11, 2018 at 10:13 AM

I work in one of the largest districts in the country, so there's no district-wide one, but we do meet as a regional pyramid (so the high school our kids feed into plus the middle school and ten feeder elementary schools).

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2018 at 4:09 PM

We have a district brunch on day 1. Followed by ‘trainings’. Hardly inspirational but the bagels are good and nice to see colleagues after the summer.

18. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 11, 2018 at 4:21 PM

Yes, we have a divisional day together. Everyone from teachers to bus drivers to librarians attends. It's for each and every staff member. We have a PD session, usually focused on wellness. The superintendent gives us a pep talk, usually a board member brings greetings. We do the years of service awards. Lunch is catered and it's a great chance to see everyone after the summer. There's always a lot of internal shuffling in our division, so everyone knows everyone. I wouldn't say it's like a pep rally, though. Unfortunately, due to budget cuts, it won't be happening this year.

19. Aces

Aces Companion

Aug 11, 2018 at 4:25 PM

Ours today was fun. They showed a slide show of pictures and stuff from last year which was comical. There was a picture of me from band camp last year showing up our tuba players.

20. ssgirl11

ssgirl11 Companion

Aug 12, 2018 at 9:34 AM

I work in a small district, and all of the staff gets together for a convocation. Basically, the superintendent introduces the new teachers, gives us a funny story about his summer, and talks about expectations for the upcoming school year. Before the assembly, we mingle with one another over coffee and donuts.

Our end of the year celebration is a much bigger deal, with an elaborate theme and catered food.