Context Clues for first graders

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by bah, Mar 26, 2003.

1. bah

bah Guest

Mar 26, 2003

Hi, I teach first grade and am in need for some resources on reinforcing context clues. We teach this concept in our reading program; however, I wondered if anyone had any resource book titles and/or center ideas to review this skill. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, BAH

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Apr 1, 2003

I use big books with great success, by covering some of the words, to make it into a cloze activity. The children love it and are actively engaged. It allows them to use prediction and their prior knowledge of language.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Apr 1, 2003

Thanks for your idea. I'll give it a try!
    BAH

5. karyn

karyn New Member

Apr 1, 2003

You can teach context cues through read aloud. Ask the kids to make predictions, make text-to-self connections, text-to-ttext connections and text-to-world connections. The whole purpose of reading is comprehension, and when you model your thinking through read aloud, you model what you want your students to do. You do have to make this explicit, and tell them that that is what they need to do during independent reading or guided reading. I highly recommend the book "Mosaic of Thought" for summertime reading. It changed my whole perspective on reading and comprehension! Good luck finishing this school year!

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Apr 3, 2003

Context Clues Teaching Chart Idea

My first graders are very motivated to pay attention if they see their names printed. I often make charts and cover a word with Post-It notes to play "Guess the Covered Word." (I think idea comes from Patricia Cunningham's "Four Blocks Model" resource book??) Students try to guess the covered word and tell what the "clues" were in the sentence that helped them:

Alexis sees her dog _____ its tail. (wag)
    Hope will wake up in the _____. (morning)
    Austin hit the ball with a ____. (bat)
    Jimmy ran to first _____. (base)
    Blake went down the _____. (slide)
    Liam and Rachel like to dig in the ____. (sand)

Etc.! Good luck!

TB in MD