Contacting administration after an interview...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ArsenalFan, May 29, 2018.

1. ArsenalFan

ArsenalFan Rookie

May 29, 2018

I went on an interview this morning, and I would like to send a follow up e-mail thanking those involved for their time and the opportunity. However, I was not provided with any contact information; therefore, I was wondering if it would be appropriate to use the e-mail addresses posted on the schools website to contact those individuals?

Thanks for any and all feedback, I appreciate it.

3. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

May 29, 2018

Absolutely fine:)

4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

May 29, 2018

I've done it before. I think it's totally fine to do.

On the other hand, it's kind of weird to be on the receiving end of those emails, if you're not the principal. I was on an interview panel a few weeks ago. We went home knowing who we wanted to hire and leaving our feedback with our principal. The next day, all involved received an email from a candidate who we had immediately ruled out. It was strange to get the email knowing that his follow-up-thank-you-email truly made no difference in my decision about whether or not to recommend that the principal hire him.

I know it's recommended to send thank-yous after an interview, but I think it's typically a waste of time for most teaching positions. Most decisions are made immediately following the interview, before anyone goes home. If you are going to send a thank-you, I'd limit it only to administrators. I wouldn't bother including teaching staff on the email.

Anyway, the bottom line is that what you're thinking of doing is totally fine, but it isn't likely to make a difference for you.

greendream and pommom like this.
  5. ArsenalFan

ArsenalFan Rookie

May 29, 2018

Thanks for the honesty. If I'm trusting my gut, the interview did not go as well as it could have. I improved greatly upon my last interview a week ago, but I forgot to mention a few things I wanted. I had a lot going my way, too; it seems my nerves are causing me to error in ways I have not experienced in the past.

If it makes any difference to your opinion, both principals were in the room during the interview. Thanks.

6. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

May 29, 2018

Go ahead and email the two principals. Just don't bother including anyone else who was at the interview. Again, your email likely won't make a difference for this position, but perhaps a thank you email will entice them to bring you again to interview for a future opening.

7. ArsenalFan

ArsenalFan Rookie

May 29, 2018

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. Since you have been included in the interview process, any advice you can give on that end? I have killer references, but I am obviously not very good at interviews in this field.

8. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

May 29, 2018

It really comes down to your competition. I've been on several interview committees, and I've interview some stellar candidates. But, in the end, the number of positions are limited, and we can't offer every great candidate a position.

You really can't control some aspects, like what the team is looking for at that specific time. For example, we just interviewed a woman who was very strong in social-emotional learning, which is a big initiative for our school, but she was so much like a person already on our team. We didn't "need" another person like her, and we were looking for someone who could fill a void, rather than duplicate what we already had. We may have offered her a job had we needed what she was offering.

You also can't control the personalities in the room. Often, we look for someone who we think we'll get along with personally - someone who will mesh with us. It doesn't mean that the others are bad candidates. It just means that we don't see them fitting with our team as it exists currently. Two years down the road or two years prior, and the candidate we turn down today could be or could have been our first choice, given the changing make-up of the team.

What you can control is this: Give specific examples of what you would do in your classroom. Don't be vague or generic. Interview committees can see right through that. We need to be able to visualize how you would set up a classroom community and what the instruction would look like in your classroom. If we can't picture it (and our picture of you should mesh with our school's philosophy and initiatives - so do your research), then you aren't going to get past the interview. Also, present a well-rounded picture of yourself. For example, if you are some strong areas of expertise or are very knowledgeable about something, like project-based learning, find a way to bring it up in the interview. But don't only focus on that. We also want to know that you can deal with parents and that you can build relationships with your students. We need to know that you can do it all, more or less.

Finally, this is especially true if you're new to teaching. Present yourself as open to learning, but absolutely don't present yourself as someone who will need hand-holding. I've ruled out more than one person, not because there was something innately wrong with them, but because I just don't have time to walk them through every single thing. I appreciate questions and eagerness to learn, but I need to know that you can manage your classroom and lesson planning on your own without my constant help. I don't mind a brand-new-to-teaching teammate, but I want someone who has had strong pre-service experiences and already knows how to handle themselves with reasonable supports in place.

I hope that is helpful to you!

greendream likes this.
  9. ArsenalFan

ArsenalFan Rookie

Jun 6, 2018

Thanks for your advice, I really appreciate it. I've had four interviews since you posted this, and zilch. I honestly don't understand what I'm doing wrong. I think I might just sub for a year.

10. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 6, 2018

I'm sorry to hear that. Just remember that you might be doing nothing wrong at all. It could just be that you have steep competition. I know that doesn't make it any less frustrating to not have a job, but, hopefully, it makes you feel better about yourself.

ArsenalFan likes this.
  11. ArsenalFan

ArsenalFan Rookie

Jun 6, 2018

Well, what I can say is that they are getting better. If I'm being objective, though, I'm still making mistakes and have yet to put together the "perfect" performance, so to speak. Your advice has calmed me immeasurably, though.

bella84 likes this.
  12. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jun 6, 2018

Don't think about subbing. Keep applying and interviewing. Late summer is easier to get hired. It's still early now.

ArsenalFan likes this.
  13. ArsenalFan

ArsenalFan Rookie

Jun 6, 2018

Actually, late this evening an administrator reached out and said...none of your references answered the phone today.

At least I know I can wow a committee, as this is an affluent district consistently at the highest level of our state. I thought I had no chance.

14. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 7, 2018

That’s great! Will he be trying them again? Did he ask you to have them get in touch? If you’ve made it that far, hopefully he’ll be willing to give you a day to have them get in touch with him.

15. ArsenalFan

ArsenalFan Rookie

Jun 7, 2018

I have been given personal numbers for two references, although it appears my big fish is on vacation, as the phone is going to voicemail, and e-mails are getting no response. I am at a disadvantage with references, because 8/10 are from one district with heavy policies about writing or providing any work-related references. He understands that, though.

16. ArsenalFan

ArsenalFan Rookie

Jun 7, 2018

I GOT THE JOB!

MrsC and bella84 like this.
  17. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Jun 7, 2018

Good for you! Congrats.

18. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 7, 2018

That's great! Congratulations! What will you be teaching?

19. ArsenalFan

ArsenalFan Rookie

Jun 7, 2018

Elementary SPED, mild/moderate, cross-categorical.

Thanks again for all you advice, it really helped! I hope others looking for answers see what you posted, because it is gospel.

bella84 likes this.
  20. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 7, 2018

Glad to have helped. I’m excited for you!

ArsenalFan likes this.