Constantly repeating myself

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by CDOR79, Jan 9, 2019.

1. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

Jan 9, 2019

Is it just me, or do you find yourself having to always repeat yourself to your class?

I feel like students are so “checked out” and detached from the moment, they don’t hear what is said and ask it to be repeated a thousand times. This goes for directions, to questions I’m asking them, or even with daily routines. My class switches to other classes (rooms) in the morning. It’s now January and they still come back in the room, plop down at their desk, and chat with a peer instead of unpacking their books and getting ready for the next lesson.

I’m by no means a pushover and they know what the routines are, but yet I still have to repeat. This is my first year in 5th grade. I taught 3rd for 8 years before. I’m trying to figure out if it’s just this group of kids (not all- but many), if it’s their age, if it’s me, or what! Lol

3. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jan 10, 2019

I had this problem in the past. I realized that I was TRAINING the kids to not listen by continually repeating things. First, use a phrase and hand signal that is the same every time. At my school, everyone uses the phrase "______ grade, may I have your attention please." The teacher raises her hand. Kids are to look at the teacher and raise their hands also. Those who don't catch it will eventually realize all their classmates are waiting for them and will comply. It takes some time to get this training done but it is sure worth it.

Another way would be to write the directions on the board and when a kiddo wants to know what is going on, just point to the directions. I also would teach them to observe what their classmates were doing if they needed to know what was going on. And I did allow them to quietly ask a classmate.

MissScrimmage and readingrules12 like this.
  4. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 10, 2019

I have to repeat myself to ADULTS! Educated adults who teach students.

I even notice that when I'm at meetings with my colleagues, many people are on their devices answering emails or having side conversations. Then, they complain that they don't know what's going on.

5. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

Jan 10, 2019

Lol @YoungTeacherGuy! Yes- many adults seem to be just as bad!

Thank you for the reply, Bonneb. I’ve actually tried similar approaches to what you mentioned. It’s seems to be effective at first but quickly wears off. More and more students just seem to be developing poor habits when it comes to paying attention! I blame technology. That’s for adults as well. These iPhones are the death of society! Lol

6. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jan 10, 2019

This is great advice and what I do daily.

It can also help to keep a very quick pace. Let's say they're slow at taking out their notebooks:

Give the instruction - "Class, please take out your notebooks and open to a clean page."
    Count down - "We're going to get started in 5-4-3-2-1."
    Start - "Okay, let's begin. At the top of the page write the title: World War II. Today we're going to be using Cornell notes, so divide your paper into two sections..." (just keep talking, keep your pencil moving if you're projecting with a document camera or keep the powerpoint going if you're projecting something, and don't slow down).

Chances are, about 1/3 of them will take out their notebooks when you first say it, 1/3 will take it out when you count down, and the other 1/3 will scramble to get their out when they see you actually start and realize they now need to rush to catch up.

7. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2019

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  8. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

Jan 16, 2019

Yes!!!! So very accurate! Hahaha!

9. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jan 16, 2019

After a while they get with the program and start following directions a bit better when they know you'll only give them once! But there are always the couple who act personally insulted when you won't stop your lesson to find them a pencil, even though they only realized they needed it two minutes after everyone's already started writing :confused:

Leaborb192 likes this.
  10. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2019

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019