Consequences without after-school detention?

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by msb0913, Jul 14, 2008.

1. msb0913

msb0913 Rookie

Jul 14, 2008

Hi all,

I am moving to a new school next year at which the majority of my students are bussed. The bus leaves within 5-7 minutes of the dismissal bell.

In my previous school, I used 15 or 20 minute after-school detentions as a level 3 or 4 consequence. At this school, I won't have that option.

I teach 7th grade (middle school). I am wondering who has some ideas for a consequence as unpleasant as after-school detention but that doesn't require students to miss their bus. (I never really enjoyed the detentions myself, to be honest. lol)

Please advise. Thank you!

Ms. B :)

3. Edelweiss

Edelweiss Rookie

Jul 14, 2008

I don't have any alternate suggestions, but last year I taught at a school like yours. We couldn't hold students after class because most of them were bussed from 30-45 minutes away and the busses left minutes after school was over. Our solution was to plan detentions 24-48 hours in advance. We'd send detention slips home to be signed and returned, and parents would have to arrange alternate transportation for their students.

Just an idea...

4. MrsTeacher2Be

MrsTeacher2Be Companion

Jul 14, 2008

My high school holds detention every Wednesday morning at 6:45. That way kids and parents have notice of it beforehand, it's still a pain in the butt for students and parents, but parents don't have to take off work to come get their kids. Though, if it were just me and not the whole school, I don't think I could get myself up early enough that one day a week

Maybe you could have them copy sentences like "I will not ... in Ms/r __________'s class anymore because it is disrespectful and it disrupts learning for myself and the rest of the class" like 25 or 50 times? I do know that when I was in school there was one class I was made SURE not to chew gum in after I spent an evening doing this :lol:

5. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 14, 2008

I'm pretty sure you can't do this anymore because this is considered corporal punishment.

We had lunch detentions when I was in middle and high school.

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 14, 2008

Find out if your school has "lunch detentions". This is where the student gets his or her lunch as fast as humanly possible, and then is forced to eat apart from his or her peers. Some schools make the teachers sit with the offending students, other have a volunteer or an aide.

7. MrsTeacher2Be

MrsTeacher2Be Companion

Jul 14, 2008

Thanks for pointing that out! I'm assuming some (or many) states have outlawed corporal punishment, but in Mississippi principals/teachers are still allowed to paddle. However, if a parent specifies that their child is not to receive corporal punishment, she school has to abide by it.

8. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 14, 2008

I have done lunch detentions...students take the lunches back to class. I personally hate it because I cant enjoy my lunch and have a pet peeve about manners on top of it. I decided I, too, would not hold lunch detentions anymore, but they do work.

I don't think this will help you, but I have duty once a week in the morning and the afternoon. Last year, I had duty in the pickup area. So, I held my detentions on that day. I was "nice"--The students could come in the morning or afternoon, but they HATED it because when friends came up to talk to them, they had to tell their friends they couldn't talk because they had detention. It was just enough so they didn't want to have detention with me again. Plus, I wasn't stuck in my room holding detention when I needed to make copies or go home and have a life.

Our school has a list of consequences we must follow including:

Discipline essay
    Calls home
    parent/teacher/student conferrence
    talk with coach/activity sponser

9. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 14, 2008

Almost forgot: When detentions are in my room I have the students write lines, but I choose a positive quote or statement. I've even overheard the students discuss which ones they had to write which I was shocked that they remembered them and even thought of them.

I can choose to change.
    A true friend lets you learn and grow.
    I am better than my actions show.
    etc.

Perhaps you can have them write these during class or for homework.

I can't see why this is corporal punishment. It would mean writing an essay would be too, wouldnt it? I believe Texas still allows corporal punishment anyways. (At least they did in my former school a few years ago.)

10. eman_ekaf

eman_ekaf Rookie

Aug 4, 2008

Try lunch detention. Tell the student(s) to get their trays and bring it to your room. Spread them out and have them eat in silence. No talking whatsoever. Trust me, it works. If you have to, go to the lunchroom with them, take them through the line (the monitor should let you in front of the line), and make sure they only talk when getting their tray.

11. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Aug 4, 2008

I have found the following even more effective for me than the long lunch detention:

First offense= a three minute lunch detention.

No more than two serving at a time. During the lunch detention the student will repeat your classroom rules over and over. Explain the detention is for three minutes worth of rules. If they do not repeat them then the detention can last for all of lunch.

Second offense= Five minutes of detention like the above.

Third offense= Power Detention. Five minutes of detention as above with rules being repeated, but the students "get" to listen to music while they do it. I find really obnoxious opera, or poor bagpipe music works well.

They will pretend at first that they like the music, but they will work hard to avoid going back to another one.

12. touchinglives

touchinglives Companion

Aug 8, 2008

I love the awful music idea!! I'm so glad I read this thread because I've found my answer. I'm going to combine the writing a positive phrase over and over with a 5 minute music "festival" for first lunch detention! Love it!