conflicted and torn

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by teachertalk13, Jan 16, 2019.

1. teachertalk13

teachertalk13 New Member

Jan 16, 2019

Hi everyone, I'm having a little bit of a moral dilemma. I am a new(ish) teacher. My first year upon graduating was spent in an extremely stressful and toxic work environment. It changed me in ways I never thought teaching could, and despite the miserable working conditions, the kids touched my heart. However, as a newbie, I was slightly scarred from the way I was treated. I decided to take a break and take a part time teaching position for the year to focus on myself. Turns out, I didn't need as much time as I thought I would, and wound up being bored teaching preschool only twice a week.. so I took a job as a substitute teacher (per diem) on my days off from my other job. Now the per diem sub job wants me as a leave replacement, and keeps mentioning it might be a good idea to take it because there are many full time classroom teacher positions opening for the next school year. I feel like they are trying to set me up for something, but I don't want to get my hopes up. I'm not unhappy teaching pre-k part time, but feel like I'm now in a position to possibly move on to bigger and better things. My thing is, how do I leave my students in the middle of the year? I have such an amazing connection with the kids, their families, and my co-workers. It makes me feel sick to think about leaving, as I hate to let people down and don't want to disapoint anyone. I also know it's going to be extremely difficult to find a replacement, because other staff members have quit this year as well and it was a mess trying to find someone to cover. Despite all this, I still feel like it would be silly for me to pass up a better opportunity, but don't know if it's the right thing to do. The kids are young and I know they'll get over it, but how pissed off will the parents be? Everyone has been so great and coming from a situation that was so awful makes me feel like I owe the school I work at currently my loyalty until the end of the year--but I don't want to miss out on the possibility of something better that could develop from a leave. Sorry for ranting, I am just so torn and need opinions and advice. Deep down I feel like I know what I have to do but just don't want to do something wrong. I guess my long-winded question is just basically...how horrible is it to leave in the middle of a school year? Even though it's part time only a few days and hours a week, I'm wondering if it's as bad as it seems and feels. Any comments or help would be greatly appreciated! I am such a mess over making important decisions!

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 17, 2019

I don't think you owe the school anything. A better opportunity came along. Sometimes you need to do what's best for you. I'm not one to advocate changing jobs willy nilly but if you need to do something that will benefit your future then do it.

4. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Jan 17, 2019

:yeahthat: