Completely random question...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by girlblue16, Jul 18, 2007.

1. girlblue16

girlblue16 Rookie

Jul 18, 2007

Not sure where to post/ask it.

Just curious if there are any teachers on the board who have IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) and how you deal with it when you're teaching, the only one in the classroom, and you HAVE to go. Sorry for such a personal and possibly disgusting question, but I want to know I'm not alone. :eek:

I work as a Para now and will continue in that position until I get a permanent teaching job. So, I can leave the room whenever I want...for the most part. But as a teacher, that's not always an option.

Anyone have any insight into this?
    Thanks!

3. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 18, 2007

I would talk to a teacher next door to you or across the hall from you and see if they could watch your class when you have to go. More than likely they would do it and would also ask you to watch their class when they have to go.

4. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2007

I don't have IBS, but I drink a TON of water and always have to pee. Good thing my kids I student taught with had breaks every couple hours! I subbed in a junior high class where the teacher had 4 classes straight with no break-and it was finals week so the classes were even longer. I had to pee so bad when the 4th class go out!

I would ask another teacher like Proud2BATeacher suggested, or if it was really bad and you couldn't see anyone else-I would call the office and see if a secretary could come in for a minute. I would probably explain my situation before, in case you ever really had to leave.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2007

I agree with the other posters: talk to a nearby teacher and see if they can cover for you in an emergency.

In our district and per our contracts, we're not allowed to leave students alone ever. I would have to call a hall monitor or an administrator to come to my room if there wasn't a teacher on his or her free period available.

Have you talked to your doctor about other treatments to better manage your IBS?

I was on medication for another medical issue and it caused the same sort of problem. Ultimately, I had to stop taking that medication because it was completely impractical for me to stop teaching to race to the bathroom. My doctor and I are still looking for a better treatment.

6. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Jul 19, 2007

yup, ibs with constipation! ypu cant hold it in, just not fair to your body.
    zelnorm worked great BUT i believe they may be taking it off the market

7. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 19, 2007

I had a friend deal with this. She would call an aide to come to her room.

8. girlblue16

girlblue16 Rookie

Jul 19, 2007

9. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2007

I agree, ask another teacher to look in on your room. If you have older kids, it is usually not a big deal!

10. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Jul 19, 2007

The teacher next door to me suffered something similiar to this. She would look in my door and when I noticed her she would wave and be off. So, I would watch both classes until she returned. I didn't care...because sometimes I needed her to return the favor!

11. tiredteacher29

tiredteacher29 Rookie

Jul 19, 2007

I feel your pain! The first few years I was teaching I dealt with what I thought was IBS very frequently. I usually poked my head into another teacher's room, one time I got the librarian, one time I called our reading coach. Usually I would have to take immodium, which would then back me up for days!!! It's such a horrible situation to deal with, but so many teachers have bathroom emergencies.