community college adjunct

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by megan, Nov 29, 2017.

1. megan

megan Rookie

Nov 29, 2017

Will community college adjunct pay more than 5k by one 4 months course?
    Is it hard to get a full time community college position?
    Do you have to have a PhD in order to be an assistant professor?

3. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Nov 29, 2017

Most likely not. I was an adjunct for a couple of semesters, and the pay was honestly abysmal. I make significantly more tutoring, which is why I stopped. It was something like $700 per credit. So a typical 3-credit course (which met twice a week for around 1.5 hrs each meeting) only got me $2100 before taxes.....and I live in NJ, which probably pays more than many places.

I was able to adjunct with just my masters degree. I am not sure about being an assistant professor though. I think all of those had Ph Ds where I was. I know full time faculty members made significantly more, but just being an adjunct was hardly worth it.

4. megan

megan Rookie

Nov 29, 2017

thank you so much for your quick reply.
    Wow, that is really low. 2100 for a semester.
    Adjunct at all Community colleges in NJ are paid the same,like 700 per credit?

5. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Nov 30, 2017

So this was around 5 years ago so I'm guessing the pay is slightly higher now. I was also brand new at the time, so I'm guessing more experienced people get paid a bit more. That said, I've met a couple of people who adjuncted as their sole source of income, and they had to work at multiple colleges to earn enough to get by. For example, I met one lady who was teaching like 12 credits per semester (and 6-9 credits over the summer) at the college I taught at, and she needed to teach the same number of credits at another community college in order to get something like a full-time teaching salary.

The one perk in comparison to high school was I didn't have to deal with parents, I could end class a little early if necessary, and the students were more mature. If I could earn a decent salary through doing that I would, but you either need to teach a ton of courses or become an actual professor before that could happen.

6. tchr4vr

tchr4vr Companion

Nov 30, 2017

Where I am in VA, it's about $500/credit, so with teaching one class, which is what most adjuncts do, its $1500 a semester. And we have a limit in how many credits you can teach as an adjunct. Around here, you have to do at least six years as a full-time adjunct to be considered for associate professor, but adjuncts are always the first to go--they teach all the 100 level courses, and maybe a few 200, but if enrollment drops, you don't get a class. That's why I stopped. I worked for 4 semesters, and then wasn't given a class for two-no enrollment. Was dropped from payroll. I get the perks of being an adjunct by being a DE instructor in my high school--I still get the full salary, but get to be a professor and have better quality students.

7. megan

megan Rookie

Nov 30, 2017

thanks for your reply.
    Another question, will adjunct get discount if they want to take some courses for themselves at CC?

8. AllCreatures

AllCreatures Rookie

Nov 30, 2017

I taught as an adjunct in multiple colleges and I found there is variation between advanced universities and community colleges and between different disciplines. When I taught at higher level universities I was paid $4000 per course, and I have heard of adjuncts being paid $15,000 per course, but at community colleges and most colleges I was paid $2500 per course. In literature and the humanities I was paid $2500 per course, but in economics, I was paid at some universities $3500 per course. And at a couple community colleges, I was only paid $2100 per course, so that was quite disappointing. More recently, I was told by a community college that their wages were "competitive" but after three rounds of interviews, when I was offered the job, I was only offered $18 per hour in the classroom. That was ridiculously low even for adjunct work, and I rejected that job, and I told my interviewers to stop advertising the job as "competitive pay" since it definitely wasn't for my area.

9. megan

megan Rookie

Nov 30, 2017

wow, AllCreatures, from all the places you worked, it seems the rate really depends on the college.
    I heard as adjunct, the college will waive you one credit course, is that true?

10. AllCreatures

AllCreatures Rookie

Dec 1, 2017

In general I haven't heard of adjuncts getting free credited courses, but there are many graduate students in MA and PhD programs who get hired to teach as adjuncts by their own universities, and so some of these students are also getting tuition reimbursements as accepted graduate students.

11. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Dec 1, 2017

Just curious - if you have a masters degree and are working at a community college, what kind of courses (since they only offer lower undergrad levels) would be of interest to OP? As for NJ and adjuncts, the pay is still lousy. Maybe a little higher than $2100, but not by much. I always wondered how desperate one needed to be to work for that money. I do understand that if you need the money, it can be a godsend, but when the cost of gas was sky high and they had to drive to and from the class site, I wondered how much they cleared.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  12. Bioguru

Bioguru Companion

Dec 1, 2017

I teach adjunct for a community college in Texas; this particular school limits adjunct to only 2 courses per semester. Since I instruct biology courses that involve labs, I get paid a bit more for the extra hour: $2000 per course each semester. I have an M.S. and there are only a couple of full-time PhD's at our community college, the vast majority hold an M.S.

13. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 1, 2017

I'm also interested in finding out more about this. I'd love to teach just one course at a community college, just to get my foot in the door. The pay is not really the issue for me. I actually looked it up before, and here they pay hourly, the close by college says $45-50 / per hour, which also includes some office hours. That's about what I make as a teacher, so it sounds good to me.

My issue is with the qualifications. I could teach lower level English courses. However, the requirements don't all match mine, they're close or mixed, but mine actually don't fulfill them 100 %. I have a Bachelors in Linguistics and Masters in Education. This is my 6thyear teaching. The requirement are a bit different, mine are close, but not the same (I don't remember exactly what they are).
    Would I even have a chance?
    What I would love to teach is classes about teaching (teaching credential courses). This close by college doesn't offer anything like that, the one a bit further (which is still ok) offers prep-for major courses like that but I never see any openings. At the university I'd have to have a PhD. Would I ever be able to teach classes like that with just a Masters?
    I would have thought National University would hire someone without a PHD but with enough experience, but it says PHD required.
    Disappointed :(

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 1, 2017

I've been an adjunct. With a Masters degree. Resume building. Not so much bank acct building.

15. AllCreatures

AllCreatures Rookie

Dec 2, 2017

My question for the adjuncts who teach in public schools is this: how many years of teaching experience on the salary schedule do public schools count for teachers who have done adjunct college teaching work beforehand? If a teacher with a MA taught as an adjunct 4 -5 courses per semester for 5 years at colleges then started to teach at public schools, how many years (or any) would public schools count for the adjunct teaching on the salary schedule?