Common Core Math!

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by HufflePuff, Jan 15, 2013.

1. HufflePuff

HufflePuff Cohort

Jan 15, 2013

How are you all doing with this? We are struggling immensely!

3. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jan 15, 2013

What are your struggles? What are the successes? We are starting to incorporate some common core, but we will go full steam ahead next school year.
    We are spending a lot of time this year making our kids explain WHY the process work, and HOW they found the answer.

4. HufflePuff

HufflePuff Cohort

Jan 15, 2013

Just a lot of gaps. Lots of expectations and the kids don't have the basic background down.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 16, 2013

Was your district using the common core standards last year in 4th grade?

We sat down together at the end of last year and looked at the prerequisite skills for each standard and where we currently teach this (or how our students come to us on these skills). Then we planned units adding in the prerequisite skills that we knew we would need to teach.

6. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Feb 9, 2013

HufflePuff, I think it is a struggle this year, but should be much better next year. That is my hope at least! I feel like I am teaching OLD fifth grade material PLUS Common Core to get them up to where they need to be. I think after this year though it will be somewhat easier. I'm hearing lots of parents of 3rd and 4th graders talk about how much math their kids are doing and I've seen some of the problems they have which makes me think it'll be a bit easier in the next year or two. Certainly hope so! :)

7. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Feb 9, 2013

This is our first year usng the Common Core and the P has not put much pressure on us. I have enjoyed teaching math with the Common Core, and I think there is a lot of potential with these new standards. I do find that I am catching them up on some old standards, so it has been a very busy math year. If your P and team are realistic, then I'd just relax and dive into the new standards and don't let it worry you too much. It is a change and it will take time.