Comfy Seating

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mathmagic, May 17, 2017.

1. mathmagic

mathmagic Connoisseur

May 17, 2017

Any suggestions for some "relatively" inexpensive comfy seating (i.e. cushions, beanbags, etc...) for the classroom library part of my room? Bonus points if blue...haha...

I'm trying to find something that is washable (because kids...) and I figured I could utilize a good portion of the $150ish I have left to spend in the next couple weeks, even though it'd mean that those items would stay with the school if I ever left.

3. MrTempest

MrTempest Companion

May 18, 2017

LoveSac knock off

4. otterpop

otterpop Fanatic

May 18, 2017

Exercise balls and stability cushions

5. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

May 18, 2017

I buy the dorm style pillows when they're on sale at target. I teach HS and my kids love them. Storage though....

6. mathmagic

mathmagic Connoisseur

May 18, 2017

A couple kiddos use some stability cushions on their chairs -- never had thought about using them as seating in the library...I guess I could try it out with those that the other kiddos are using! The exercise balls are another interesting thought, but I might wait on those for a couple years: I'm extremely short on space in the portable and a large class size!
    That's my one bit of comfy sitting in there right now -- thankfully it fits right up against the wall and is relatively flat-ish. Too bad they're not out again yet, because I'd grab a couple more while I can spend the money! Will have to get them in fall. The nicest part is the fact that you can easily remove the outside and wash it.

(Well, I also had a moon chair, but kids started pulling out stuffing, and it got a bit messy...and I just had enough with it :))

7. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

May 20, 2017

Storage cubes?

mathmagic likes this.
  8. mathmagic

mathmagic Connoisseur

May 21, 2017

Possibly, though that part of the room would be nice to keep more floor-seating space (cushions/pillows/etc...)

9. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 21, 2017

I got these ottomans and they are fabulous. They're not washable, but would be easy to spot clean. They're comfortable, extremely sturdy, don't show dirt, and they double as storage. I'm bummed that I purchased them with school funds because I'm leaving, but I plan to buy them again myself for my new classroom.

I have lots of flexible seating options but I'm just going to be real here - I CANNOT STAND pillows in my classroom. I just can't anymore. Never again. Storing them is so frustrating - they always look messy, even when the kids put them back correctly - and they're just mostly gross. If you do want pillows, though, Ikea is the cheapest option I've found. I have a futon, too, but I'm leaving it behind because it just takes up too much dang space and my class is always way too big.

I usually pick up a couple $15 beanbags from Walmart around back to school time - I like those, but I can't stand the Big Joe ones that are shaped like a chair - that shape lasts about 2 weeks. I've never had them, but other teachers in my school have. Wobble cushions are great for the floor or on top of chairs - love those. I have a couple of those.

Another option for floor seating would be bleacher seats - those cushiony seats that fold open. Kids can use those to sit on the floor, and they wouldn't take much room to store.

You may already have one, but what about a rug? Or a second rug if you have one?

mathmagic likes this.
  10. mathmagic

mathmagic Connoisseur

May 22, 2017

Yeah - that big downside with the long pillow is that while it's able to have the outside taken off and cleaned (i.e. thrown in the wash), it still gets messy really easily. And many pillows don't even have that outside that can be washed that easily, which is why I've hestitated so much!

I agree with the big beanbags with the shape -- and the other downside is that it's really limiting (I stopped using my moon chair because it was getting messy...and too many kids were worried about who was sitting in it / getting there first).

I'll have to look at Walmart come the new school year. Part of me wants to just wait it out a bit, as we'll have a new school after a couple more years, thus the style of what I'd want could vastly change. I may even have to move classrooms before then - and inside the building vs. in the small portable I'm in would have a huge difference!

Thought about a rug, but just been turned off because of the huge price, and not being 100% sure of it. I'd definitely get a blue one, though :) I've seen some at Target I might get...haha