Color/graphics in resume?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by curiouslystrong, Apr 20, 2019.

1. curiouslystrong

curiouslystrong Companion

Apr 20, 2019

Is this a good way to stand out (if done tastefully and professionally, of course), or is it just a good way to end up in the automatic "no" pile?

I'm talking something like these:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Apr 21, 2019

Whatever you choose to do, take it to the nearest conventional black and white printer and see what it looks like done on a very common black and whit printer, printed on both sides, on no more than 20 lb. copy paper. That is how it will be seen by everyone other than the one person who opens the envelope it arrives in. The original may be seen by someone higher up the food chain, but probably will only be seen by the secretary in HR. The black and white copies on routine copy paper, printed on both sides, is how everyone else will see your example. Why not save the fancy version to take with you on interviews? It will have more impact there, but remember to take enough for every one at the table.

CherryOak likes this.
  4. curiouslystrong

curiouslystrong Companion

Apr 21, 2019

Thanks for the insight - I didn't even consider that!

Is this also likely to be the case in very large districts where principals are in charge of hiring decisions? I was under the impression that resumes and cover letters are typically seen digitally - often via mobile - first.

5. CherryOak

CherryOak Companion

Apr 21, 2019

Mine has a tiny bit of color, but I don't know how common it is. I did check to make sure it looked good in grayscale first. That's good advice!