Cold Reads for 5th graders

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by kburen, Oct 10, 2006.

1. kburen

kburen Cohort

Oct 10, 2006

Does anyone know a good site to get cold reads for 5th graders from? Preferably a free site. I'm not sure if everyone calls them "cold reads" or not so I'll explain. Basically a passage that the students have never seen before with a number of questions following the passage. These questions are based not only on the reading itself, but also on reading skills, (ex: cause and effect, authors purpose, sequence and other skills like that). I know the ABC teaching site (I think that's what it's called) has them, but you have to pay for the site or else the questions aren't all the types of questions I need.

Thanks!

3. Raising3boys

Raising3boys Companion

Oct 10, 2006

I am glad you asked this one! At our school, we use cold passages a lot. Most of the time, we have to be creative and come up with things on our own about what we are studying. We include a cold passage on almost every written assessment. We are required to do it because of all the "testing" protocal. Most of the teachers have lots of resources to use, we just have to have "standards based" questions. Hopefully, someone will come along and give us some great sites to use!

4. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Oct 10, 2006

We have DRA kits that the students read from.

5. Raising3boys

Raising3boys Companion

Oct 11, 2006

In the past we had DRA . Now, our district uses Dominie and MAP testing in its place. Using those really isn't what "cold passage" means for our district. We actually have to do a cold passage each assessment. There has to be a paragraph or two and then questions about the paragraph. The students must read this on their own. We usually cover different types of questions including open ended.