Cold Emailing

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MissScrimmage, Feb 9, 2018.

1. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Feb 9, 2018

As school districts get their budgets soon and start preparing to hire, I was wondering if anyone cold emails principals before the hiring season starts?

I have cold emailed in the past, without any success, so I may not be doing it well. Does anyone find emailing principals directly to be helpful? Do you have a general template/outline you use to write your emails? How do you make yourself stand out in a cold email?

I'm finding all my drafts are missing something that will make me memorable.

Let's share our best successes & tips for contacting principals and landing interviews!

3. Teacher234

Teacher234 Comrade

Feb 9, 2018

What exactly is a "cold email"?
    I would like a little information about it, so I can find some way to help you.

4. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Feb 9, 2018

If you're going to do it at all, I'd recommend waiting until jobs are posted, apply, and then email the principal a personal note to let them know you've applied, you really want to work at their school for xyz reasons, etc. I've never done this myself, but I have a friend who swears by it. On the other hand, last time I was on the interview committee with my previous P she told me she was annoyed by it, so it seems like it's hit or miss.

I would guess you'd have the best chance for success if you can find some sort of information about programs or philosophies the school uses from their website, and mention your experience in that specific program or philosophy in your email.

I don't see any point in emailing prior to jobs being posted. IMO, principals have too much going on to remember some random email they got weeks or months prior to even knowing what their openings are.

5. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Feb 10, 2018

LOL I've done that before and the P responded with a rather tepid email that said, "You need to apply through the district and follow the procedure.''
    Sorry!
    :rofl:

6. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Comrade

Feb 10, 2018

I think you need to know your local conditions. Where I work emailing the P would be of no use because of how applications are structured.

7. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Feb 10, 2018

Interesting feedback! Maybe this is why my emails haven't been effective in the job hunt!

8. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Feb 10, 2018

Cold emails are when you email a principal about possible job openings. We are going to be starting our hiring season in the next few weeks and I'm asking about people's experience with emailing ahead of time to get your name in there early.

9. Teacher234

Teacher234 Comrade

Feb 10, 2018

thank you for telling me.

10. miss-m

miss-m Habitué

Feb 11, 2018

I would be sure that the district allows it, along with the other advice given. The district near me states very clearly that applicants are NOT to contact principals.

11. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Feb 11, 2018

What is your certification in? In my area (CA) most teachers have no trouble getting jobs. In fact, they’re having a very difficult time actually filling certain positions (SPED, Math, ESL, and foreign language). Though, I have seen a fair few elementary and middle school teaching jobs advertised on Edjoin.

12. Teacher234

Teacher234 Comrade

Feb 11, 2018

I am certified in Special Education, Elementary Education, and K12 General Education. I also am certified to become an English teacher

13. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Feb 11, 2018

Ooh, fancy! You’re one hot commodity. I’m sure you’ll get a job in no time. ;)

14. Teacher234

Teacher234 Comrade

Feb 11, 2018

No, no...I am already a teacher and have been for 20 years. I apologize for the misconception and/or loss in communication. I have taught many different settings, though. I teach special education currently.