Coaching

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by JimG, Oct 13, 2018.

1. JimG

JimG Comrade

Oct 13, 2018

Long story short: I would like to express interest, to our AD, in coaching football next season if the right position for me opens up. However, I wonder if it would be unfair to my family (wife and toddler with one potentially on the way) to take on such a time commitment. No, I would not make any commitments without talking to her first.

I am not sure I have an actual question to ask other than if anyone has thoughts or experience with a similar dilemma. It never hurts to get honest feedback from people of varying mindsets.

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Oct 13, 2018

My husband is a football coach and works 85 hours a week.

Do you have experience? If not, you’d probably be put on sub-varsity duty so the time commitment may not be as immense.

4. JimG

JimG Comrade

Oct 13, 2018

Thank you for the reply. Yes, I do have some experience playing and coaching. However, out of college I wound up at a non-football school and any thoughts of coaching sort of fell by the wayside. I am at a football school now and am doing some work for the team once a week solely on game nights. The itch has been growing for me to want to get more involved.

I am aware of the time commitment in-season. On top of the normal 7:30-3:30 teaching schedule, there are practices, games, and usually a Saturday or Sunday meeting for film and game-planning. For you, when DO you see your husband during the season? I guess my main concern is spreading myself too thin between teaching, coaching, and family time.

Unlike in Texas, football is typically not a year-long grind here with the exception of coaches who run off-season strength and conditioning and of course the head coach. We don’t have spring football, and except for a couple weeks of camp in the summer, practice cannot start until the first week of August. The state championship is the weekend immediately after Thanksgiving.

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Oct 13, 2018

I’m referring only to the August to November-ish schedule. My husband leaves at six in the morning and gets back at eight thirty that night on Monday through Wednesday. On Thursday, he leaves at six thirty and may get home as early as nine or as late as midnight. On Friday, he leaves at seven a.m. and gets home between eleven thirty and two. On Saturdays, he’s usually home by four. His current AD does not have Sundays as a work day, but he’s had to go in in the afternoons with other ADs.

I see him on Sunday other than a little bit on Mondays through Wednesdays and Saturday evening. I think the lower level assistant coaches work about four to five hours a week less, but it’s still a lot. Little ones often go to the field house on Saturdays so they get to spend time with their daddies, but not all ADs allow that here.

6. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Oct 13, 2018

Have you talked to your wife about this? I know all family dynamics are different, but I would be very upset if my husband worked that kind of schedule with a toddler and baby at home without consulting me. As you know, kids are a lot of work, and that type of coaching schedule will put the majority of child-rearing on her.

7. JimG

JimG Comrade

Oct 13, 2018

I did address that in my initial post. As of right now, I am merely mulling over the thought.