Coaching and exhaustion

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pi-R-Squared, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Mar 7, 2019

I’m a first-time assistant coach and I’m tired as heck. Baseball season started in January but the games are just now being played. I feel my teaching abilities are slipping mainly from stuff not being graded in a timely manner. Ia anyone here a seasoned coach who can guide me on how to maintain my teaching responsibilities while also coaching? I now see why coaches show movies! I won’t do that, I promise!

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 7, 2019

My husband went in an hour and a half early most days to get his teaching responsibilities taken care of when he was teaching a tested social studies class.

4. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Mar 7, 2019

Pi-R-Squared, I wish everyone would read your note before they enter coaching. I love that students can play sports, and some teachers handle both teaching and coaching well. For most though it is so overwhelming.

5. tchr4vr

tchr4vr Companion

Mar 8, 2019

I'm not a coach, but I ran a theatre program for a number of years. Full teaching schedule of AP/DE and 5 shows a year, so rehearsals every day after school starting in September-May, a weekend a month, plus late nights every few months. It is exhausting. I got really good at scheduling the really big, time consuming grading (paper, etc) for in-between shows. My kids do a lot of independent work, 20 minutes of direct instruction, then students working, so I have time to so grading, etc. Not that I'm not available to help, but I'm not directly teaching all block. It is exhausting, and not everyone can do it, but I find if you love it, it makes it bearable. I also did a lot of peer conferencing, peer grading, and a lot of small, short assignments that could be graded during a break in rehearsal, or in 30 minutes while i'm waiting for dinner to be finished. BUt sometimes, it just doesn't get done--that's the way of it.

6. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Mar 12, 2019

I coached middle school, high school and college basketball. It was too much for my family. I was giving my family the least of me. I now am much healthier, watch every one of my own kids games, play more basketball, eat better.