Clearing my Credential

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Lunarium, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Lunarium

Lunarium New Member

Sep 25, 2014

Hello,

I am currently taking the online Clear Credential Program through UCLA until March 2015.

However, my credential expires a month prior in February 2015.

Would I then need to first file for an extension and THEN file for a clear credential through my UCLA supervisor?

I've heard there are hidden consequences to filing for an extension, and a CTC official once told me it's safer to just let it expire.... I'm confused. Any suggestions? :/

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 25, 2014

I see you're in South Korea. Your best bet might be to see if someone you know in California can put this question on your behalf to the credentialing people at a California county office of education.

4. El sol

El sol Rookie

Sep 25, 2014

UCLA should advise you on this. If needed, they can help with a speedier extension.

5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 27, 2014

I am teaching down here in Mexico and am in the same boat. I too was advised that it was just better to let my credential expire, but I also don´t know when I will be going back home. With my master´s degree, I can still teach internationally, so that´s what´s most important to me right now.

6. Lunarium

Lunarium New Member

Sep 28, 2014

My adviser at UCLA just emailed me with:

"Yes, you can let it expire if you’re unemployed because you’re not using the credential. Only employed teachers need to file for the extension. I’m not sure if you told the CTC your employment status and it also depends on who you spoke with. We have candidates finish the program with expired credentials all the time and it is renewed with the Clear status when they successfully complete the program."

So I guess, letting it expire is the best option...

7. kristinedz

kristinedz New Member

Aug 24, 2016

Hello, I'm hoping that you may still be an active member. I am looking into clearing my credential through the UCLA extension. Would like to know how you liked the program. How was the workload and anything else you may have to share. Thanks in advance

8. mrs_teachertob

mrs_teachertob New Member

Feb 15, 2017

Hi Kristinedz,
    Since your post, have you began the program? If so, can you share your experience? I am registering for Spring 2017. Thanks in advance.

9. Thismare89

Thismare89 New Member

Mar 16, 2017

I am not sure about that.