Cleaning service (in home) questions

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by bandnerdtx, Feb 23, 2015.

1. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Feb 23, 2015

I've recently signed up to have a cleaning service come to my home, and I have a couple of questions for those of you who use something similar.

1. Do you straighten up/clean a bit before the cleaners come?
    2. How long does it usually take them to clean the house?
    3. If you're home when they arrive, do you stay in the house?
    4. Do they generally move knick knacks off the shelves to dust?

I feel good about the company we've chosen. The workers are all vetted and it gets lots of good reviews. I'm just not sure what to expect and what's expecting too much.

3. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Feb 23, 2015

I've not used cleaners in the USA, but abroad.

1. No. In fact, we always left the dishes unwashed from the day before so the lady helping us could do them!

2. We had a tiny one bedroom apartment and she would take 2.5 hours. She would clean the kitchen, wash any dishes, sweep & mop floors, wash the bathroom, wipe down furniture, shake out rugs, general tidying up and other stuff that maybe wasn't needed every week- like washing windows, cleaning a fan, etc. She was very, very thorough. We didn't ask her to do laundry, that we did on our own.

3. For some of our cleaning ladies I would stay home, the one who we trusted the most we would leave and go to the grocery store or I'd go on a run or something. I always felt really lazy when I'd be sitting around on my butt while our lady was cleaning! Never really "sat" well with me. I tried to be away when I could.

4. They will do what you ask them to do. If you tell them to not move stuff, they won't touch it. If you instruct them to move stuff to dust, they will do it. Just make sure the first day to tell them what you would like them to do. Point out cleaning supplies (unless they have their own) and general layout of the house.

You'll love it! I really miss having a cleaning lady!

4. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Feb 23, 2015

I pick stuff up a little, but I leave dishes and stuff for them to do. It takes about 4-5 hours, but they do the laundry too. I rarely am here, I try to plan things to do to not be here when they clean, I always feel in the way and they feel awkward too. They move stuff to dust and wipe the shelves and counters.

5. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Feb 23, 2015

I straighten up a bit to cut down on the hours needed to finish and so they can focus on the areas I don't want to clean (kitchen and bathroom and floors).

6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 23, 2015

I clean up a bit, but it's very light. Mostly my cleaner comes on Fridays during the work day, so I am not here. However, many times she will come later on Friday and I will be in the house. It normally takes her about 4 hours to clean my house (3 bedroom, 2 bathroom). My cleaner takes it upon herself to move things around and decorate. I imagine that's just her personality though. If there's anything specific you want (or don't want done), it's best to just be explicit about it.

7. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Feb 24, 2015

I have been thinking seriously about getting a cleaning lady. Not sure how my husband would take it though.

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Feb 24, 2015

Me too. I'm thinking she could come when he's at work :whistle: hahaha anyway, I think I make sure there's no clutter and do my own laundry but I would mainly want the floors and dusting to be done. The bathroom too.

9. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Feb 24, 2015

Why would it bother your husband?

I freaking loved our cleaning lady. She came once a week and got everything spic and span. Didn't scrub a toilet for almost two full years. I miss having one so much here.