Classwork / Homework Grades

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by WordLover, May 17, 2017.

1. WordLover

WordLover Rookie

May 17, 2017

Hello - as a new teacher, I'm wondering if other teachers are recording daily grades for classwork and homework I've just finished a replacement leave position where it seemed I was constantly wearing myself out with assessing and entering grades. How do you assess homework and classwork? Any tips for making assessments minimally laborious?

3. ms.irene

ms.irene Devotee

May 17, 2017

This is my "system" that I have mostly borrowed from others, and has worked for me over the years. Generally, I don't spend (waste) time giving feedback in a way that puts the burden on me, and ends up being ignored anyway. I try to give that responsibility back to the students whenever possible:

Homework: I don't "grade" homework, just check off if it is complete or incomplete. I have them have it out at the start of class, and I walk around and check off the ones who DON'T have it. I have a copy of my seating chart in a plastic page cover (I forget the name of those thingies, the ones you can slip a page into and put into a 3-ring binder?) on a clipboard, and I mark with a dry-erase marker. I enter points daily, erase the page, and am good to go in five minutes or less. We go over and correct HW together as a class, and it is up to the student to pay attention and look for corrections.

Classwork: Occasionally I collect classwork for a grade, but not always. We go over it as a class, and once again, it's up to the student to check and correct their work. I'll collect it, but I don't always grade it, or not all of it. Just enough to keep them on their toes!

Assessments: What kind of assessments are you giving? Can you do anything with technology? For quick, informal assessments, there are a ton of great apps...Google Forms, Classroom, Kahoot, Socrative, etc....Formal assessments (essays, essay tests, speaking exams, etc) do take a while to grade, but since I don't spend a lot of time on CW/HW, I have time to grade those longer, formal items more carefully.

Backroads and WordLover like this.
  4. HistoryTeach4

HistoryTeach4 Rookie

May 18, 2017

I grade participation practically daily. I grade all my homework but I only give one assignment a week. If I run out of time I will skip grading my classwork. I use Google Forms a lot. If you make your assignments with that and select the setting to make ita quiz Google will pretty much grade it for you.

ms.irene and WordLover like this.
  5. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

May 18, 2017

I grade only one assignment a week. You don't score the game based on practice.

Backroads and ms.irene like this.
  6. ms.irene

ms.irene Devotee

May 18, 2017

I really like this as a rule of thumb! Do you tell this to your students, or do they figure it out at some point?

7. WordLover

WordLover Rookie

May 18, 2017

Thank you, that helps. What is your criteria for class participation?

8. Tulipteacher

Tulipteacher Rookie

May 18, 2017

I completely agree with you philosophically, but how do you keep them from turning in junk once they realize that what matters is completion, not accuracy? Especially if you're just glancing at it and not really taking the time to check the quality? What happens in my classes, especially with going over classwork, is they don't really bother to do it well once they know I am going to go over it. So then I start taking up a lot more, but grading it isn't a good use of my time.

9. HistoryTeach4

HistoryTeach4 Rookie

May 19, 2017

To get the full 10 points students have to volunteer to read and answer questions, complete classwork activities without promoting, plus willing go up for the Smartboard activity. I use a program called Nearpod where I can upload my notes and insert divergent activities for students to complete during the lesson. I know some students don't feel comfortable speaking out loud in class if they complete all the activities during the lesson I'll give them the 10 points as long as they are also actively listening and following along. I don't think participation should just be talking in class.
    Students lose points for skipping activities, filling around during lessons, and just plain not paying attention.

WordLover likes this.
  10. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

May 19, 2017

I tell them along with explaining the idea of work being practice. I've never had an issue with kids trying to abuse the system. Students doing, or not doing, work is more of a classroom management issue than we often admit. Doing it is not optional, just like being on time is not optional.

a2z likes this.
  11. mathmagic

mathmagic Connoisseur

May 19, 2017

You teach the importance and purpose of practice. Those life skills are just as important as the content itself, if not more.

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 19, 2017

I tell mine that they perform the way they practice. If LeBron half-a**es it in practice, he won't be able to make the shots when it counts in a game.

WordLover likes this.
  13. otterpop

otterpop Fanatic

May 20, 2017

I'm in elementary, but here's what I do:

Homework: Turned in weekly. I grade for completion. In previous years, I did packets, but now it's more like written assignments on notebook paper with an attached assignment sheet. Depending on the subject you teach, you could still assign and review homework daily but have them staple it and hand it all in at the end of the week, then give one grade for it all.

Classwork: Mostly completed in notebooks. Again, graded for completion. (I do give weekly tests that hold a lot of weight, so they're being assessed in other ways.) Mostly I give them the assignment, give them work time, and then at the end of work time go around and quickly check to see who has it done. Sometimes I stamp in their notebooks but mostly I just glance. Most of them will have it done and get full points. The kids who don't get full points, I write down on a post-it as I walk around and check. My list might look like this:
    2/3 - Marlie, Seth
    1/3 - Byron
    0 - Paul

Then, I can use the "fill grade" feature in our gradebook, give everyone full points, and quickly take off points for the students who didn't get full credit.

WordLover likes this.