classroom themes

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by kimrandy1, Jun 26, 2006.

1. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2006

My classroom has never had a theme. I'd never even heard of such a thing until reading the discipline thread that is on the elementary board right now, and I'm intrigued. I want to do a theme this upcoming year. I've read that some people have a jungle theme and some have an underwater theme....any other good themes out there? And what, exactly, reflects your theme in your room? Your discipline chart, your helpers chart, your name tags? Anything else? Can you give specific examples for titles for boards and such? Thanks!
    Kim

3. MissBanger

MissBanger Rookie

Jun 26, 2006

Hey Kim!
    This upcoming year will be my first so I do not have any expert opinions. However, I am planning to do a Medieval Theme in my classroom (I will be teaching 3rd grade). I have gotten some great ideas on the posts for my theme. My classroom will be "Third Graders in Shining Armor" or "Lord and Ladies of the Third Grade" (I haven't decided yet). Our newsletter will be called "The Herald," our helpers will be "Squires" or "Pages." I am going to have a cardboard box that looks like a castle in our reading area for the students to enjoy reading. The entrance to our classroom will be a drawbridge made of cardboard and rope. I haven't decided about the discipline chart..maybe something with archery? I'm still thinking on that one. Name tags will be something Medieval with "Lord" or "Lady" in front of their name.
    Like I said, I am no expert yet but maybe by giving you an example of what I am doing will help you see how themes are done in the classroom. I hope it helps!

4. yclark

yclark Comrade

Jun 26, 2006

Medieval Theme

That sound so cute. I'd like to see that.

Your discipline chart could be a pocket chart, call it a map of the kingdom, with pockets labeled or numbered for each individual child. Insert diecut castles with different colored flags. Green flag-all's well in the castle. Yellow flag-warning. Red flag-Trouble (with whatever consequence you have) Blue Flag- Note Home, etc.

Depending on how the die cut works, you might just post everychild's name or number on a castle and make flags on straws or popsicle sticks. That would be easier to change throughout the day.

If you stay with the archery theme, you could make a large target. Put everyone's name or number on an arrow made from tagboard and hotglue a clothes pin to the back. Start the day with everyone's arrow on the bull's eye and have steps to move it to the outer rings as they are needed. Each ring could coincide with a consequence in your behavior plan.

This being your first year, you might not know about the use of numbers. Assign everyone a number for the discipline chart, cubbies, etc. Then when children move in and out you reassign the number and don't have to remake the castle and all the labels in the classroom. (It also helps keep the discipline private. The kids learn everyones number but parents and other visitors to the class don't need to know everyone's business.)

5. yclark

yclark Comrade

Jun 26, 2006

Some other post on here suggested checking proteacher.com
    I looked there and there is a whole section where people have shared their theme ideas too.

6. MissBanger

MissBanger Rookie

Jun 26, 2006

WOW YClark.. thanks for your ideas!!! I really may use one of those!!!

I will have to look at proteacher.com too!

Thanks!!

7. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 26, 2006

There are some great jigsaw puzzles of castles, etc. I sometimes start the year with a completed puzzle that is glued together as part of a bulletin board display, then later in the year I have one for the students to work on at indoor recess.

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 26, 2006

There is a ready-made BB set of castles. Also, check the middle school posters and stuff for medieval stuff. You might find something that isn't too mature.

My theme affects the color scheme in the room, and the tone of the room. Mine is 'warm' and rustic. I wouldn't add in anything permanent that is in pastels, or is too modern.

9. MissBanger

MissBanger Rookie

Jun 26, 2006

Upsadaisy, what is your theme?

10. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jun 27, 2006

I've done themes in the past, but then find that I get tired of the theme and want to change it every year. I end up spending WAY to much money because I get so involved in it. I've done a Hawaiian Theme, a Western Theme, and a Suzie's Zoo theme. This year I'm going to try something different. I'm going to use the same border throughout my classroom and buy the same color of material and put it up on all my bulletin boards. Maybe then I can use it a couple of years in a row and just change the borders or something. I can't afford to spend a couple hundred dollars on decorations...

11. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Jun 27, 2006

This year I am doing a sports theme. Last year, I had a racing (NASCAR-type) theme. I have also had: stars, TAZ, and bees. I do like to change things every year and try to limit my theme to a few dollars that come out of my stipend monies.

Another place to look would be ReallyGoodStuff (dot) com They have some great themes as does Carson-Dellosa.

12. yclark

yclark Comrade

Jun 28, 2006

Miss Banger
    Last night my son walked in the house and greeted everyone as thought we were lowly subjects in his kingdom. My mind ran down a rabbit trail about castles and kings and I suddenly thought, I need to tell her about King Bidgood's in the Bathtub. Have you read that one? It is so cute!! It has a king, queen, knights, royal court, etc. and of course the hard working young page. Look for it to go along with your theme.
    Does this mean that I am totally pathetic, thinking about other teacher's classroom themes while I'm cooking dinner?

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 28, 2006

Soooo funny. No, not pathetic at all. I was reading a Lucy Calkins book, Living Between the Lines, while waiting for the shower water to heat up this morning!

14. MissBanger

MissBanger Rookie

Jun 28, 2006

Hahah... yall are funny!!! True teachers you are!

I haven't read that book.. in fact, I have never heard of it. I will look for it. Thanks for the recommendation:)

15. Mrs.Lineberry

Mrs.Lineberry Rookie

Jun 28, 2006

The theme I use year in and year out the past 4 years has been "ON THE RIGHT TRACK". I make sure that everything is based around either trains, race cars, horses etc. I have taught across the board from PREK to 3rd to now 6th. I have been able to gear it up or down as the age level changes. This way you can create bulletin boards of student work that is on the right track, your rules can be based on what to do to stay on the right track, and what happens if you fall off track etc... The kids get a kick out of it even the 6th graders I had last year loved it.

16. zolar16

zolar16 Rookie

Jun 28, 2006

I started using a "Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?" theme halfway through last school year with my K-1 special ed students. I assigned an animal to each of my students and labeled their seats, individual schedules and behavior charts with their die cuts. A general ed teacher might be able to assign the animals to particular tables/groups of students or maybe to centers. Many of the teachers on my hall just pick a favorite animal (bears, frogs, fish, etc.) This way, you can theme your classroom to make things seem a little more cohesive, but you can do as little or as much as you want.