Classroom Theme/Mascot

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by teacher_cc, Jun 23, 2010.

1. teacher_cc

teacher_cc Rookie

Jun 23, 2010

I will be going into my 3rd year teaching 3rd grade. I'm not a very creative person when it comes to creating a theme for my classroom! I have yet to do it. So, I've decided I need to get a little creative and do something next year. I feel like w/ the themes you are more prone to spending a lot of $$ in creating a theme-based classroom, epecially if you're changing it every year.

I read that someone had a giraffe as their classroom mascot and based a lot of the classroom activities and goals around that. I will probably do something similar, maybe change it up a little.

What are somethings you guys have done or are planning to do?

3. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jun 23, 2010

So why do a theme? Do you feel pressure to do a theme? I remember my first year my principal came into my room a few days before school was starting and was appalled that I didn't have a theme. I'm not creative and I simply didn't want to spend my own money on stuff that didn't have to do with bettering their education. She actually gathered materials and set up my room for me. Ocean stuff here, ocean stuff there, stuff on the walls, useless decorations everywhere. The room was appealing.
    Fast forward 2 years.
    We are told by the district to tone down the rooms. Leave walls empty. They will be filled with student work, anchor charts and interactive writing. I was so happy.
    So now my room looks bare when school starts. But two weeks later we already have many things on the walls.
    I do use coordinating colors. My room looks very clean and spacious. No more useless items. Where that scuba guy and seaweed used to be stapled to the wall is now a place for us to keep a record of the books we've read. Where the treasure chest was stapled to the wall is now student produced work.
    I still use ocean themed borders and a few accents here and there... but nothing too much.

I think it is fine to have a theme as long as you keep in mind your real purpose for decorating a room.

4. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Jun 23, 2010

If your goal of a mascot is to create a sense of pride and team, I think that's commendable. Instead of a mascot, my students pick a name at the beginning of the year to call themselves. This past year it was Stellar Students. I referred to this often in the halls and on newsletters. It gave them a community to rally around. You can also have the kids develop a "secret code." Such as a handsign for using the restroom, getting drinks, sharpening pencils, etc. That has done wonders for my students and they feel like they are part of a secret club.

5. teacher_cc

teacher_cc Rookie

Jun 23, 2010

Ohmigosh this sounds just like me. I will probably not do a theme, but yes, so many of the teachers do them that sometimes I feel like I should try. The principal does not care if we do it or not. I also leave walls bare and add things as we go throughout the year. I just wanted to try something different this year. I may go w/ the mascot and use him as a motivator for tests and other things. Maybe use giraffe print on one of the tables as the tablecloth, just little things like that, but that's it!

6. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jun 23, 2010

Ooh, I like that. :thumb:

7. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jun 28, 2010

Most of my former themes (pics/descriptions) are available to see online at www.clutterfreeclassroom.com (camping, beach, western).

My newer ones are being posted on my blog (Hollywood, Jungle/Safari, Mystery/Detective)

I like doing a theme to pull things together. I don't think it's necessary. It can certainly be done on the cheap.

An especially easy theme to do cheaply is beach. Dollar stores have lots of stuff for this theme and other stores offer summer clearance on items that would work well.

You can also bring in a lot of your own things to add for the school year and not have to store them at home: coolers and beach chairs make great seating.

8. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Jul 1, 2010

For 3rd grade this year I am making my theme polka dots. It's easy because you can keep things as plain as you want and then decorate them with die-cut polka dots or you can simply cut them out yourself.
    There's a lot of cute things you can do with the theme. For a "star student" I'm calling it "SPOTlight Student of the Month" (or week, what ever you choose)
    I'm sending out welcome postcards to my students saying "You've been SPOTted in ******** Class!"
    Or you can have a "SPOTted Doing Good" award of sorts.

I've found there's loads you can do without making it too expensive!

Good luck!