Classroom Scavenger Hunt

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by bina1357, Aug 3, 2004.

1. bina1357

bina1357 Companion

Aug 3, 2004

I was just thinking of a way to have my kids (4th graders) get to know the classroom on a more closer level than just me standing up front & pointing to the differnet parts in the room. I thought a scavenger hunt might be fun. Have you done this before? What items did you have your kids locate? I have about 12 on my list right now. I know our rooms are al differnt but I'd stil like to hear what you had your kids find. Most of my items are things like the agenda board, the reading center, the meet the teacher bulletin board, # of kids(boys/girls), rules poster, birthday poster, sink/drinking fountain, etc. Anything you can think of? I figure I'd have the kids ansewr a question or write down info they learn at each of these places in the room. That way I know they actually went to each one & didn't just walk around. :)

THanks for your help!!

Tina

3. MrsP

MrsP Rookie

Aug 3, 2004

Hi Tina - I have never done this before but I just read something about it in this month's Instructor Magazine and I remember it mentioned things like find a book with a three word title in the classroom library, something in the art center that starts with the letter P, the hall pass, etc.

Hope this helps - good luck!!

4. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 4, 2004

You could even do "the first word on p. __ in the dictionary," the title of your social studies book, the most interesting chapter in your science book, etc.

5. Robintz

Robintz Rookie

Aug 4, 2004

I did a scavenger hunt last year with second graders. I included things they could find in the classroom (write down the name of a book from the poetry box, where are the scissors, etc.) and I also included "what is your teacher's favorite animal?" (I wear my piggy earrings and I have stuffed pigs all around the room, pig socks, etc.). I tried to include odd ball stuff also, just to make sure they got to every corner of the room!

Robin

6. camcdade

camcdade Comrade

Aug 4, 2004

I have a scavenger hunt page that has kids find less specific things as well such as...
    find something made of wood (metal, plastic)
    find something with legs
    find something with wheels
    Find a book in the reading corner that has 4 words in the title
    find an object with more than 3 colors on it
    find something you think no one else has noticed
    find something triangle-shaped (square, circle, etc.)
    find something taller than you (shorter than you)
    Find something that starts with the "n" sound
    find something that has corners
    Find something that hangs
    find something that locks

7. AnnK

AnnK Rookie

Aug 4, 2004

I think a scavenger hunt is a great idea. I may try it having the students work with partners (nothing like encouraging cooperation from the beginning). I also like having questions about the teachers in the room (I will have a special ed. teacher, a TA, and myself): where did Mrs. K go to school/ favorite color/ etc. Maybe including questions like: find someone who has a birthday in the same month as you, someone with five letters in their first name, someone who likes the same sport, etc. This would be a great way for the students to get to know one another a little better too (although, this could be made into another activity all by itself).

8. Robintz

Robintz Rookie

Aug 4, 2004

I did do the more personal one as a separate scavenger hunt on a different day (but still during the first week of school). Part of our getting to know each other stuff...find someone who likes pepperoni pizza, find someone who owns a pet other than a cat or dog, find someone who has a brother and a sister, etc. If you know something at all about the kids in your class it helps you make sure you have kids who fit the questions!

Robin