Classroom rules for 5th graders

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by BioAngel, Aug 13, 2009.

1. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 13, 2009

Based on what I learned last year, I'm going to focus the beginning of the school year with REALLY getting the kids to understand that the rules MUST be followed.

I didn't want to go nuts with the rules... so I simplified them (less rules, easier language). I'm still deciding what happens if they break a rule or they are really great students and follow the rules. (I'll get there :blush:)

So here they are and I'd like your thoughts on them....

3. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 14, 2009

They look good to me! In fact, those are very similar to the rules I had last year in 5th. The first day of school I shared the three rules with them, and had them brainstorm what they meant (what should go under each of them). They came up with a TON of ideas, and I guided them to narrow each down to 3 or 4. Pretty much, they went with what I would have written had I done it myself. Just something to consider--they really took ownership in thinking they had "written" the rules, even though I really had (evil laugh here...)!

4. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Aug 15, 2009

I am using four rules:

Respect your Teammates.

Respect your Teacher.

Respect your Space.

Respect yourself.

Together, we will determine what these rules mean. Each class will make a list of non-negotiables. For one class, respecting space might deal with not touching each others stuff. For another, the focus may be to recycle any wasted paper.

5. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Aug 15, 2009

Bio, Those are the rules I have used for the last 4 years and they work great! I have never had to send someone to the Principal's Office. They have lost Free time Friday or not gotten to play my version of Homeworkopoly but I love the flexibility they give me, but the class knows what I mean by them.

6. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

Aug 15, 2009

I think those rules are great, too, because they are so broad. I've been using be respectful, be responsible, and be safe.

After my GLAD training this summer, I'm thinking I might try one of their 3 standards of behavior, "Solve problems." I like that one. Power to the students!

7. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Aug 16, 2009

Our school does the very same thing-school wide. We call them the 3 Rs-and we focus on one R every quarter. The first quarter it is Readiness, then Responsibility, then Respect. The final quarter is a focus on all three. We have an assembly at the end of each quarter to honor those students who have displayed the 3 Rs. Our parents love it.

8. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Aug 16, 2009

When I was student teaching my cooperating teacher did this thing where she took a large piece of paper and had a student come up and lie on it and then had another student trace the out line of them.

Then she asked everyone what were good characteristics of a student. She wrote them inside of the outline. Then she asked them what were bad characteristics and wrote them outside.

The kids came up with some really great examples.

Then she told the kids that this was the classroom rules and they loved it! They made the rules and it was easy to follow.

I loved it! What a great idea. I'm going to do it with the 5th graders this year.

9. backtoclass

backtoclass Rookie

Aug 18, 2009

This is a great idea. I love it.

10. MissNikki

MissNikki Comrade

Aug 20, 2009

I had something like that for the past few years and liked it. However, this year I am changing it up a bit and taking my cue from Rafe Esquith's Teach Like Your Hair's on Fire. My rules are:

Be Nice.
    Work Hard.

I made a graphic organizer and we are going to branch off of these and discuss their meanings (be nice to who? work hard means what? looks like? etc.).