Classroom Mini Economy

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by EagleTeacher, Jun 28, 2011.

1. EagleTeacher

EagleTeacher Rookie

Jun 28, 2011

I have been using Angela Powell's bead system as a classroom behavior management system and it has worked great for me in third grade. But I have been thinking about starting the classroom economy like Beth Newingham's. I just want to know if anyone has tried it and how it went. Thanks!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2011

I've worked with mini economies and I keep changing how I do it. I want to try the sheet like Beth Newingham too, but not sure how to make it fit in with our school-wide system.

4. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Jul 13, 2011

I love Beth Newingham's idea too, and I'm just worried that I won't be able to keep up with it. Buying rewards for them to buy can be very costly, and I'm afraid I'll run out of time to actually let them spend their money. I think I am going to give it a go and see how it works. I can see how the kids could totally buy into it, so it may be worth the time and effort.

5. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Jul 13, 2011

I used the classroom economy for the first time this past year! I have an assistant, otherwise I would have had to of streamlined it. Allowing the students to do the "payroll" and "banking" jobs took alot of time but I have to tell you when I presented it that the children were learning about budgeting my parents loved it and I received many donations towards our store. My biggest "sellers" were things like extra computer time, sitting in a special chair for the day, picnic lunch, Half homework pass on spelling, etc. One job that I made up was "Classroom Cop"---we had two everyday and they were responsible for debiting rule breakers. The students were much stricter than I was and after a few bumps...it worked great.

6. funw/3rd

funw/3rd Rookie

Jul 23, 2011

I have a friend that did something like a mini-economy but she held auctions at the end of each grading period for the kids to spend their money. She also got parents to donate items (gently used books that their child no longer reads, some small candy ites). Since our schedule is made out for us and there is very little down time, another teacher on my grade level last year used her small group math time to pay the kids each week.

7. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 25, 2011

I love Beth's idea and system in theory, but didn't like using it. I felt it was too much work for me and the students weren't gaining that much from it. If you do go forward I would suggest doing so with the help of parent volunteers.

8. Kaylee hutton

Kaylee hutton Rookie

Jul 26, 2011

Angela Powell's bead system is really a good class room management tool. :thumb:

9. EagleTeacher

EagleTeacher Rookie

Jul 26, 2011

I have used Angela Powell's Bead System for two years and I think after hearing everyone's thoughts I may stick with it. Its great because it focuses on providing positive reinforcement and I don't have to spend money on rewards. I just provide Fun Friday activities for the kids for 30 minutes each week.
    I like the idea of doing a classroom economy but I am afraid I willl not get many parent donations and I'll end up spending too much of my own money. I am also afraid of it being too time consuming. This year our local board has already slashed our supply list by 80% so I am going to try to spend money wisely.