classroom meetings

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Touchthefuture, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Jul 10, 2012

I have been reading a lot about positive discipline and they emphasize classroom meetings for both building community and solving problems. Does anyone have some suggestions for this? Here is what I am looking for:

format of meeting
    length of meeting
    how to fit it into an already jam-packed day

The books offer some great ideas but I want reality of what others have done. Any info is better than nothing.

3. believenachild

believenachild Rookie

Jul 10, 2012

I have always had team mtgs. I refer to my class as a team. I have box in my room labeled Huddle Up where students place their thoughts and concerns. We sit in a huddle at the end of each day and discuss both positive and negative aspects of our team. Our mtg. lasts about 5-10 minutes. If there isn't anything in our box, we say positive affirmations about our team. The students love being the focus and facilitators of our mtgs.

4. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2012

I have enjoyed having morning meetings, similar to the responsive classroom approach, in my room before. They lasted about 30 mins and include a morning message, a greeting, and either a game/activity or a sharing. The time was cut out of our schedule last year so I just did a greeting on their way into the classroom and a message everyday plus a joke of the day. I think my P is trying to give us more time first thing in the morning this year. Hopefully we'll be able to at least do a greeting and message every day.

That being said, whenever there is something important to discuss, we always pause in our day and move to the carpet to have a class discussion. We've done it for sad news (like when my grandpa died and the kids were worried about me), discipline issues, or to congratulate each other. :)