Classroom management

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by Cali, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Cali

Cali New Member

Nov 14, 2012

This year I got a new job working for a non-profit. A big part of my job is to go to different middle schools once a week and teach our curriculum. I love my job and the information I teach the students, but I have a very hard time with classroom management. I have a hard time getting the students to stay quiet and listen to what I have to say. I know it’s 99% of my fault because I make a lot of rookie mistakes, like being too lenient, not being consistent and I think sometimes I come off as unprepared because I get nervous and forget what I’m saying. Can you guys please provide me with some tips for classroom management, especially for someone who only teaches once or twice a week? Is it too late to get them to listen to me? I’ve read that if they don’t take you serious the first week, then you are basically screwed for the rest of the semester. I’m starting to believe I suck at teaching, and I really want to master this profession :)

3. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Habitué

Nov 15, 2012

Not sure what you mean, "teach our curriculum"? Can you be more specific?

4. Kamana

Kamana New Member

Nov 15, 2012

how to deal with aggression and fighting in the classroom

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 15, 2012

Are you left alone with the classes? Here, guest speakers/presenters are responsible only for presenting their program; the classroom teacher remains in the room to handle discipline and assist the presenter.

6. geegee1981

geegee1981 Rookie

Nov 18, 2012

If it was me, i would bring snacks for the students that behave, and hand them out 5 minutes before the class period ends...... Let the misbehaving students suffer and watch the good students eat lol.

My students use to be 100% bad until i started bringing snacks. Now their behavior is 60% bad lol

7. round stanley

round stanley Companion

Dec 2, 2012

I would find out from each teacher what their mgmt. system is and follow that. The kids will be used to that. If you need cue cards to stay on track, use them. Walk around the room, don't just stand in front and be a talking head. Make everything you say be relevant to their lives, not some vague esoteric values class.