Classroom Management Question

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by bluedolphin9, Sep 13, 2017.

1. bluedolphin9

bluedolphin9 Rookie

Sep 13, 2017

So I am an early kindergarten teacher and I started at my job last month teaching summer school. I have these two girls, I'll call them Jill and Jane. They were in my summer school class and now they're in my regular class. They were behaved ok during the summer. Now they gang up and run around the room, jump up on the mats scream and sing. During lessons on the carpet they kick their legs. They talk back to me. When I reprimand them they look at each other and laugh. I haven't found something that works with these girls and am looking for advice. I have been calling in another teacher to lecture them but I don't want to do that, I want to manage them myself. Any advice would be appreciated!!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 13, 2017

Time out. In separate spaces. Let them know when they are ready to behave then they can return to the activity.
    Keep them as separated as you can
    Keep nailing them for their behavior-they are too comfortable with you and need to know you mean business.

4. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Fanatic

Sep 13, 2017

What did their parents say when you spoke to them about this behaviour?

5. bluedolphin9

bluedolphin9 Rookie

Sep 13, 2017

They said that they never got complaints before from other teachers. And they were ok during the summer, this just started last Friday. The one mom put her in time out at home but only for 3 minutes.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 13, 2017

The kids are in KINDERGARTEN. They didn't have too many teachers before you who would have notified parents. You need to get control of the situation TOMORROW. start giving consequences.

7. bluedolphin9

bluedolphin9 Rookie

Sep 13, 2017

Well this is a daycare and they've been in the school since they were babies. They sat out today of playground time for almost the whole time. Still continued to act up in the afternoon. And we're not allowed to give time outs. I don't know what else to do to get control.

8. Teacherhere

Teacherhere Companion

Sep 13, 2017

Never lecture, it does nothing and is counterproductive.

Kinder kids need procedures for every little thing, and I mean everything. When students carry out a procedure incorrectly you need to just observe and let them finish. Then restate the procedure and do it again. Repeat this until done correctly. Also, show no emotion or frustration. Once the class is carrying out procedures correctly and only one or two are not following instructions and expectations then you issue a consequence. You issue a consequence with no emotion or lecture. You need clearly defined rules and consequences that the children fully understand. You get this by teaching and modeling what it looks like when following rules and what it looks like breaking rules. You have to be 100% consistent. Remember, kids only do things you allow them to get away with. Accountability is key but you have to be 100% consistent.

This is hard to swallow as a teacher but never blame the kids. Always take responsibility for your classroom management and work to fix it. You will become a much better teacher.

9. bluedolphin9

bluedolphin9 Rookie

Sep 13, 2017

Thank you for your adivce, I will try that! What do you suggest for consequences? I'm not allowed to do a time out.

10. bluedolphin9

bluedolphin9 Rookie

Sep 13, 2017

Thanks, what do you suggest for consequences? I'm not allowed to use time out?

11. Teacherhere

Teacherhere Companion

Sep 13, 2017

That is something I cannot give you the answer to. What works for one teacher does not always work for other teachers. Remember, the consequence itself will not solve the problem. It is you the teacher and how you teach and nurture the kids that makes the difference. You have to able to issue consequences consistently and fairly. Issue consequences to the best kids in class as well because that makes a huge impact when the naughty kids see you being fair. Effective management happens when the kids know you care about them. Sorry if this is no help, but this is one area of teaching that every teachers has to figure out on their own.

12. Mmoom92

Mmoom92 New Member

Sep 13, 2017

Special education teacher here and behavior is my specialty have a classroom full of behaviors and consequences will work but there needs to be what's called a fair pair. What kind of positive reinforcement systems do you have in place? What opportunities are there for children to earn positive rewards and feedback? Even though token economies are generally reserved for special education, they can be very effective in general education too. Create very structured rules for the class positively reinforce these two girls whenever you see them following the rules. Maybe they can get a sticker or a star. When they get this sticker, provide very specific feedback like I like how you're sitting in your seat or I like how you're using a quiet voice. Classroom dojo can be a really helpful whole class system for this.
    Also provide will reminders at the beginning of the day, before the behavior starts. Remind the girls of expected Behavior and what they can get when they follow the rules. In the event of off-task behavior, provide rule reminders in a calm neutral voice and do your best to ignore the off-task behavior. It is likely attention-seeking and they like the fact that their behavior is getting them more attention. My dealing with behaviors, consistency is key. The more you positively reinforce the behaviors you like and ignore the behaviors you don't like the better the behavior will get. I hope this helps!

13. Fun_Teacher

Fun_Teacher Rookie

Sep 13, 2017

Hello, there.
    Wow...not being allowed to give time-outs? Yikes. Ok, here is what you could try.
    -Every hour of good behavior results in a special treat. As their behavior improves, gradually increase the amount of time between rewards.
    -Model Appropriate Behaviors, Verbal/Visual Prompting, Repeat Directions
    -Good behavior can be defined as following directions, being respectful, paying attention, and following rules.
    Example of Behavioral Intervention Plan (this is a starting point)
    9-10 Hour 1
    -If the student is good to your expectations with minimal reminders, a reward should be given at 10 AM.
    10-11 Hour 2
    If the student is good to your expectations with minimal reminders, a reward should be given at 11 AM.
    11-12 Hour 3
    If the student is good to your expectations with minimal reminders, a reward should be given at 12 PM.
    12-1 Hour 4
    If the student is good to your expectations with minimal reminders, a reward should be given at 1 PM.
    This is an example.
    Positive Consequence: Special Treat
    Negative Consequence: No Treat
    ***make the treat special and change the special treats throughout the day. Do not tell the student what the reward will be, just assure him or her that a reward will be given for good behavior.
    If this is effective and behavior has improved, after two months or so, continue to reward good behavior at 90 minute intervals. Eventually, two hour intervals. By the end of the year, the students may be able to behave with rewards weekly.