Classroom Management HELP

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Holyoke, Aug 29, 2018.

1. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Sep 21, 2018

Stay strict so they know you mean business! As others have said, kids really appreciate a fair and well run room. Keep going!

2. rpan

rpan Cohort

Sep 21, 2018

That’s perfectly fine. Kids respect that you can call yourself out when you’ve done the “wrong” thing. It’s what they perceive as fair too.

3. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Sep 22, 2018

^
    Thank you for the affirmation! The kid who said I was "too strict" was probably annoyed that he couldn't talk all class anymore haha. I think I will also get a little bit more "strict" with my other classes just because I do see a few behaviors starting to come up. My high class is honestly struggling with working respectfully in a group and it is getting annoying. I am definitely going to start enforcing the "silent Do Now" rule for all of my classes. I actually felt like I was able to enjoy my second period class yesterday and finally pass back papers when they were more calm at the beginning of class. I'm doing a fun activity Monday but I'm hoping they'll be able to do it. I also know that I need to be very clear with my expectations with this age group, which I haven't always done a great job on.

4. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Sep 22, 2018

Good news -- I have been very clear about my dismissal expectations and I've started giving them 20 seconds to put all of their papers into their binders before they leave. I have had two consecutive days with no papers/pencils on the floor!

Upsadaisy and otterpop like this.
  5. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 22, 2018

Nice job!

Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  6. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Sep 24, 2018

I had a difficult day today. I tried to do a fun activity but I had some kids literally throwing markers!!! We had to stop the whole activity and I’m thinking no more fun activities with them for a while. The activity went really well with my other classes. I cried during my entire planning and I have no idea what to do anymore. I gave 4 detentions and I know the kids are mad at me. I just feel like I cannot teach this class.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  7. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Sep 24, 2018

Who cares if they are mad at you? You followed through with consequences and that is so important. Just keep moving forward. You will get somewhere with this class but it will just take a LONG time. Do something fun when you get home from work. Think about something else to clear your mind. Do not let this class overtake your life!

Upsadaisy, otterpop and Ms.Holyoke like this.
  8. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Sep 24, 2018

I think I could have been more consistent in giving warnings, etc. but I will do better tomorrow. Sigh. I'm also going to pull the girl who threw the container and make her write me an apology letter by Wednesday...I forgot to give her a detention!

I'm also frustrated because I told my math coach that I have a few kids who are really struggling. She said I have to plan stations or "follow them around class" to support them but it's not ok for them not to be mastering content. I feel like what am I supposed to do when the behavior is so, so bad? There was an experienced teacher in our department planning who said she couldn't do a "teacher table" with her class of 25 because the behavior is ridiculous in her class. That's kind of how I feel right now, and I'm being expected to do it with a class of 34? Right now, I can't give any kids individual help because of the behavior and there's just too many!

I'm honestly considering a minimum 50 policy of tests/quizzes so kids aren't failing and they at least have a chance to get their grade up.

9. rpan

rpan Cohort

Sep 25, 2018

Classroom management takes a long time. The success you are having with your other classes is not going to be as forthcoming with this difficult class. But it’s not a failure on your part. You didn’t fail because the kids chose to be rotten. You are extremely hard on yourself. Some days will be good days some days will be bad days. One good day doesn’t mean you should expect all the days will be good. It’s often a one step forward three steps back situation and if you accept that, you won’t be so self critical. You are still learning, still forming your strategies, the fact that you have success with other classes means something.
    Please reconsider your 50 policy to bump up their grades. Grades should be merit based, giving students grades they don’t deserve is not doing them any favours in the long term.
    If their behaviour or attitude is so poor they can’t demonstrate their understanding then so be it. Let the grade reflect that.

Upsadaisy likes this.
  10. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Sep 25, 2018

^
    You're totally right! I need to stop stressing about it. Today's class went well but I know that tomorrow is a 1/2 day and the kids might be a little bit crazy. The good news is that I was able to "loosen up" on the warnings for talking while I was because it wasn't happening much. So I was able to just pause, look at the kid, and move on which I think generally helped the atmosphere of the class. I also made them feel guilty about throwing markers/throwing the marker caddy. I explained that I bought it with my own $$ and asked the class how they think I felt, etc. and I think it worked. I had 0 paper balls on my floor today unlike the 5 that I usually find. I did have one more detention today for a kid who was out of his seat and poking another kid with a pencil lol.

I'm stressing about grades because I can identify 4-5 kids in my class who are failing all assessments. I was told that admin does not like to see F's so I'm confused about what to do. Right now, my classwork percentage is at 40%. I wanted to bump that down a bit, but if assessments are 65% of their grade, I think they will fail. I cannot give individual help in this class but my coach says it's not ok for so many kids to be failing and that I need to be creative. I'm confused about what I am expected to do. I have contacted parents, asked kids to stay for my extra help day (they don't), and I've tried in class but it is tough.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  11. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 25, 2018

Are your students getting F's because they aren't trying, aren't turning in their work, or are they trying hard but still not understanding the content?

12. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Sep 25, 2018

I would say about 4 students in my two morning classes failed their quizzes. (I had kids get as low as a 5/25). I honestly think they are failing because they aren't understanding it (although I'm sure their effort could improve). I have one student with a D that I know is deserved. However, most of my students got As on the quiz so they are ready to move on. The failing kids really lack basic computation skills which makes this unit tough for them (I am just teaching computation.) I actually only have one kid with an F now because they receive some credit for the work they do in class. If most of my grade was based on tests and quizzes, I would have more kids failing.

I'm also including things like exit tickets and will soon be including weekly open response/journal questions in classwork so I don't mind the percentage. But this will likely bring down their grades!

13. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 25, 2018

I know some will disagree with me, but what if you tried adding a few easy problems to the test? If your principal doesn't like failing grades, it seems you'd have some leeway to get a bit creative. Maybe put a few vocabulary questions on the test and repeat, repeat, repeat in class to practice. Or, put some basic computation practice in there since it seems that need to be monitored in that area anyway.

If a student was going to get a 10/20 (50%), but you add five easier questions you're pretty sure they'll get, they'd get a 15/25 (60%) instead. It might also give them confidence and let them think they've got a shot at succeeding.

Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  14. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Sep 25, 2018

This isn't a bad idea! My mentor teacher from my student teacher differentiated tests (easy and hard) but I don't want to go there. Putting some "free points" on the test might not be a bad idea. When my coach said to "get creative", I think she meant to find a way to get kids to master the standards BUT I literally have no idea how to. Today, I even had to ask a few kids to "help" and "tutor" which is against my philosophy but I am struggling. This is one of the strategies suggested to me.

I will say that the quizzes I gave weren't too difficult and there was one pretty easy problem on each. The issue is that I gave a multiplying quiz and a few still can't multiply. We're doing long division now and I already know which kids won't master the standard.

15. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Sep 26, 2018

I feel like I have a good day and then a bad day. Today was a half day and it was rough for my second class. I’ve decided to move the desks into rows.

I really dislike this group and I’m starting to worry about their test scores.

I also get it because this unit is so boring. It’s just computation and I know that computation can be hard for kids who don’t have a good math foundation. It is very boring to learn and teach but I have to teach the standard.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    ms.irene likes this.
  16. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Sep 26, 2018

When I attended my first Fred Jones' seminar we spent a half day on furniture arrangement. Fred would make statements like, "This is how effective teachers arrange their desks", and began showing different arrangements. I sank down in my chair. I looked around, and the other teachers were trying to hide too. I never knew nor was it ever addressed in my methods courses that furniture arrangement is a key element determining how hard a teacher will work at discipline. Examples: I had my teacher's desk in the traditional spot - front of the room which is the worst place to put it. I had rows front to back which block teacher movement. My aisles were too narrow. I didn't use "dots" on the floor so students could move their desks back after "desk creep" or dots to show exactly where to place desks when moving into groups. In other words, there is more to furniture arrangement than merely separating students.

17. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Sep 26, 2018

^
    I honestly do not have the room in my classroom for the "Fred Jones" arrangements. I did partner rows because I cannot manage behavior effectively in this class when the kids aren't facing me. I'm really frustrated because my other classes are doing fine with groups. My aisles are narrow now but I'm not sure what else to do. :(

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  18. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Sep 28, 2018

Today was probably my worst day of teaching yet. I had the following behaviors:
    -Kids trying to move desks away from each other.
    -A kid making popping noises during class.
    - Kids talking when I am teaching.
    -A kid hitting another kid with a water bottle. (called admin on him)
    -It was too LOUD!
    -Lots of kids were off task.

My instructional coach told me that I needed to make the time to pull kids who are struggling during class. So I tried that today where my low kids did a worksheet and my high kids did a word problem partner activity. It was a disaster! The kids working independently have no independence to work respectfully with each other. It is like putting fires out.

I called admin for the water bottle student (who also exhibited other behaviors+rude when called out) and was told that I am not allowed to ask a kid to step out into the hallway. My mentor told me that admin doesn't like to get called too often...but I had no other option. I honestly also do not care if they're upset with me at this point.

My plan for this class is no more groups (regardless of what my instructional coach says) and no more fun activities. My class size is way too large to give kids individual help. I will just have a lesson, worksheet, and exit ticket.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  19. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Sep 28, 2018

Good plan. You really just have to be in surviival mode the first few years. This should also make lesson planning for the week a lot easier! And then in a couple of years, you can set up shop in a nice suburban school and do all the fun stuff you had always hoped you could do.

20. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Sep 28, 2018

^
    My other classes do a great job with activities and are well behaved. I will still plan some for them, but I will print a worksheet for this particular class. I hope that this works though because I'm not sure what to do if it doesn't.

I know I work in a low-income school, but most of my students are great. Almost every kid in my other two classes are well behaved and respectful and there are about 10 kids out of 34 in my difficult class that are ruining it for everyone else. I think that if I had classes of 25, I would have no problem managing this group.