Classroom Management HELP

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Holyoke, Aug 29, 2018.

1. rpan

rpan Cohort

Sep 12, 2018

Maths is a subject that requires strong foundations for proficiency later on. I agree with posters who say that you shouldn’t really worry about schedules. Every class is different, with different students who learn differently at different pace. Don’t feel pressured because another class is following the prescribed schedule and your students aren’t. You won’t be doing students a favour if they can’t multiply decimals, and a disservice if you assess them when you know they aren’t ready. In reality, it will take as long as it needs to take. If you are behind, then so be it. In the end, if they have strong foundations, it may be easier to introduce new concepts later on, and you will make up the ‘lost’ time.
    Don’t feel discouraged about classroom management, if it was that easy to master, then teaching would be easy as pie. Don’t be so hard on yourself, trying to be ‘perfect’ is unrealistic, even for teachers who have years of experience behind them.

2. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Sep 12, 2018

So my kids STILL cannot multiply. I don't know what to do. I feel like a failure.

3. ms.irene

ms.irene Groupie

Sep 12, 2018

Dude -- YOU are not the source of the failure! Also, two or three days is not a lot of time to rectify years of deficiencies. I teach Seniors who still don't know how to read or write a basic paragraph (or sentence, for that matter). This doesn't mean I stop trying, but that I have to keep trying to meet my students where they are and find strategies that work. I would start a new thread asking for some specific strategies to teach basic multiplication -- maybe using some kind of manipulatives, or real-world examples? But cut yourself some slack -- you can't beat yourself up for something that you didn't create.

4. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Sep 12, 2018

I don't know what to do because some kids can multiply and some can't. I thought they would know how to multiply whole numbers and they can't!! I feel like I am teaching the wrong thing and I'm not sure if I'm meeting the standards. :( We've been multiplying decimals since Monday. I'm terrified of teaching division at this rate. I may have to move my quiz to Tuesday but I'm losing so much time. And I feel bad for the kids who do get it. What am I supposed to do with them?

I feel like I am failing my students. I have no idea if what I'm teaching is meeting the standards. I didn't teach multi step addition and subtraction word problems and I found out that my mentor did. I really don't know what I am doing or what to do. I really hate this unit because it is all computation. Apparently the kids learned a lot of strategies for decimal multiplication but didn't master any of them. I really really wish I had a curriculum. :(

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  5. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Sep 12, 2018

My new plan is: practice day tomorrow, mixed review (addition, subtraction and multiplication) with word problems on Friday, word problems on Monday. I am really hoping they'll be ready to quiz on Tuesday.

I think they might not be as bad at multiplication as I thought but my exit ticket was tough.

6. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Sep 12, 2018

You are learning where this group is at. You can't move on until basics are taught. For many kids learning the math facts is difficult and for some not much time was spent on it. It is difficult to move on when math facts aren't known! You are doing okay and not a failure. You are gaining information about your students and that is valuable information.

You have a plan in place and go with it. Please don't be discouraged. Just keep pushing toward the goal!

Loomistrout likes this.
  7. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Sep 12, 2018

Advice regarding what it's like to be a "teacher" my mentor gave me my first year:

(1) Give yourself permission to fail
    (2) When trying new things for the first time they tend to get worse before they get better ... What happened the first time you tried to ride a bicycle? Hit a golf ball?
    (3)You are not only trying to teach curriculum but, also, civilization. And you are trying to teach these to 36 squirmy bodies that belong to other people. These other people have years to build relationship. You have a couple minutes.
    (4)You will give more commands the first day than their parents give in a week. You will want 36 to follow your commands first time asked, promptly, neatly and with a good attitude.
    (5) Then when this is all done, you will want 36 to look forward to coming to class tomorrow.

ms.irene likes this.
  8. heyhey

heyhey Rookie

Sep 12, 2018

Hey Holyoke! I hope you had a better day today. I just wanted to chime in with another small thing you can do that could help behavior issues. You may already be doing this, but if not try to point out how the appropriate people are behaving, rather then saying "[insert name], stop doing that!" Instead, look for someone who is behaving appropriately and give them a compliment out loud, so the rest of the class knows what good behavior looks like. It's a great way to get their attention, but without calling anybody out directly or giving them a chance to retort (I can't count how many times i've heard the response "but it wasn't only me!" when I tell somebody to stop doing something). I do this when getting the class to be silent so I can give directions. Rather then say "[insert name}, be quiet", I will say "Thank you [insert name] for following directions."

9. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Sep 12, 2018

My day went ok today. The management was a bit better. I am being more firm with my students and it is working, I am planning on moving a few desks to hopefully help kids focus a little bit more. My principal walked in informally during my "bad" class but they were doing an engaging activity. Finding mistakes on problems around the room and he said it was great.

I am honestly really struggling with curriculum. I have no resources and my mentor teaches the same thing but she doesn't really share with me unless I ask. I tell her a lesson went badly and she tells me what I should have done, but then I just feel like I wasted a day. I haven't even done a ton of addition/subtraction word problems yet because I didn't know it was on the standard. I found some of the stuff she was giving her kids in the copy room and I realized I hadn't taught it. I feel so confused and lost. I almost cried today when I went to a required scholarship seminar. They showed a video of the kids having a discussion and it was perfect but there were 17 of them. With 34 kids, I feel like I don't know how they're doing with something until their exit ticket because I feel like I am really focusing on their behavior right now. I don't even know how challenging to make my work or anything.

I feel bad for the kids who have mastered multiplication if we are going to be doing this for two more days. :(

10. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Sep 12, 2018

I would have the kids who demonstrated mastery on the exit slip work on some of those word problems the next couple of days, while you drill the basics/facts with those who are still struggling. If the struggling kids don't get to the word problems, so be it. At least you are providing the challenge to those who are ready. Maybe it can be a bonus problem on the quiz.

11. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Sep 12, 2018

How do you recommend I separate the class? Give the word problems to the kids who finish early or give them a different assignment from the start?

12. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Sep 12, 2018

If it were me, I would have them split into groups as they walk in. I wouldn't even tell them groups that they are doing different assignments. The strong group's worksheet might start out with a few of the problems that the other groups have on their worksheet, but it would quickly get into word problems, whereas the weaker groups may not have any word problems at all.

13. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Sep 12, 2018

So I looked through the exit tickets and they are not as bad as I thought. I just have a really hard (3 by 3) multiplication problem. I think most kids can do a 2 by 2 multiplication problem.

I am thinking of still giving a quiz Friday but it is easy. The addition and subtraction they *should* be able to do and the multiplication is easy. I have an extra credit challenge page and only one multi step word problem. I am thinking of doing word problems on Monday and a mini quiz on word problems on Tuesday.

14. ms.irene

ms.irene Groupie

Sep 13, 2018

Don't cry at those ridiculous "training" videos -- laugh and remember that nothing is going to be perfect in real life :)

Teacher234 likes this.
  15. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Sep 13, 2018

Looking at exit tickets, I have about 25% of my students who need explicit instruction with multiplication. I am thinking of ability grouping them tomorrow and sitting with the lower kids...but I do not know how the behavior will be!

16. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Sep 13, 2018

How many days of school have you had? When you post, I hear progress and things are moving along. Quickly? No, but there is progress. Your principal even saw it!

There must be somewhere to find the standards for your State. Then you can plan your curriculum around that. Any textbooks? Not always the greatest but it would give you a guideline or what to do next. Your class eventually will be engaging. And as a new teacher, you do not have to reinvent the wheel so to say.

Having control of your class goes a long way to doing things the way you want. Yes, 34 kids are a lot and it sounds like you are able to manage the group. Please don't get discouraged!

You have gotten great advice from here.

As for your mentor, I wonder if she just wants you to find your own way. It sounds like she is willing to help but she just wants you to have the kind of classroom you want, not a copy of hers. When you approach her with questions make your requests very specific and what you really want to know.

Good Luck!

17. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Sep 13, 2018

My principal actually came in twice and I got a good first evaluation. (Everyone apparently gets a good first one but my mentor read it and my response and said it was good.) He came in Monday with the mayor and the superintendent which was scary and the kids were also a little bit scared. He came in again yesterday at a good time. Even though it was my difficult class, they were doing an activity where they were deciding if problems around the room were solved correctly or not.

Tomorrow, I am trying to find a way to differentiate. I have about 8 kids in two of my lower classes who do not know how to multiply. I am trying to figure out how to manage the behavior of everyone and group these 8 kids so I can teach them how to multiply.

18. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Sep 13, 2018

I think we have had about 11 days of school so far. :)

19. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Sep 13, 2018

Almost two weeks! Way to go!

If you are reflecting back on these days, what has surprised you the most? What do you wish you knew more about? What do you wish your school would have taught you?

I've said it before but from what I see, you are doing great!

Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  20. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Sep 13, 2018

I think I wish I knew more about the curriculum. I really assumed that all of my kids would know how to multiply. So when I started my lessons, I didn't realize that a lot of kids did not, so I feel like I am "working backwards." For my division unit, I am assuming they know NOTHING and I think it will go better. Most kids do not know the standard algorithm in 6th grade.

I also have no idea what is expected of the kids in terms of rigor, etc. For example, I did very few word problems in my addition/subtraction unit and I realized my mentor did some complex word problems. I told my instructional coach today that it is really difficult for me to teach without knowing how my kids will be assessed or what is expected of them. She said she will look for ways to get me copies of a unit test.

I think a lot of my stress is coming from my class sizes and being the only one in the room. I just can't work with kids individually like I did in my student teaching.

I am relieved that my principal observed me during some of my better lessons. :)