Classroom Management HELP

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Holyoke, Aug 29, 2018.

1. rpan

rpan Cohort

Oct 20, 2018

Is detention the harshest consequence you can give them? I’m thinking, if they assault another kid, or tell you to F off, what consequence would that entail? Can you give other consequences? I make my students stay in at recess or lunch to do work if they are lacking focus, have no work output or just for a quick detention because they haven’t followed instructions. They eat their recess or lunch while they are with me, so they aren’t lacking in sustenance but it’s still a consequence they thoroughly dislike. I usually only have to do this for the first half of the year for a very tough class. In the second half of the year, relationships are established, classroom management and expectations are established; they don’t see me as the enemy, they behave for me because they want to please me, and I don’t have to do this anymore.
    I guess what I’m trying to say is, if you give your harshest consequence at your disposal for relatively minor indiscretions, then what is the next step up for the larger major indiscretions?

2. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Oct 20, 2018

All of the things that you said would be automatic write ups and would be sent to administration. One of my kids was fighting in the hallway and admin took care of it right away. I even had a kid hit another kid in my class (a few weeks ago when it was a chaotic day) and admin took care of it.

I can't make kids stay for lunch (and I don't want to either) and they don't have recess. I figure that a logical consequence of not taking notes in class is taking the same notes after school.

However, knowing my kids, I really can't see any of them swearing at me, etc. They are overall really good kids and I have nothing like the behavior from my student teaching. If I look at my tough class now, it is actually better managed than what my mentor or I had in my student teaching. (Kids playing on their phones, kids constantly yelling across the room, etc.) Right now, my worst behavior problems are off task behavior, turning around, and talking. (ex. during the Do Now, so I have to remind them.)

Personally, I wouldn't give detentions for things like gum (as I really don't care that much.) and I'm hoping to ease up on the number of detentions that I give.

There is one kid who has had about 5 detentions with me. He is a good kid & his behavior has improved, but he is still not behaving appropriately. He poked another kid with his mechanical pencil (in front of him) and was yelling out/talking when I was a few times. Calling his mother hasn't helped because he tells her that he has a "loud voice" and that's why he's in trouble, and she believes him. Yes, he did stop when I looked at him, but it is still a waste of time. Was it appropriate to give him a detention for this? I asked the science teacher and she said that's fine and that eventually they do not want to come after school anymore.

The English teacher, on the other hand, hasn't given any detentions. He has more experience but he's working more on the relationship building, etc. He does still struggle with them but his worst class is my 'ok' class. However, he told me that my tough group was really bad for him on the 1/2 day when he had them last period. He has my tough group first period when they are better behaved. My first period class is well behaved for me and not as well behaved for him. My mentor showed me her test scores from two years ago when she taught the classes that I am teaching and the test scores were twice as bad for the 2nd block class! It is crazy!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  3. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Oct 20, 2018

Please use the bathroom suggestions given by rpan. Great advice! You will get the hang of it. The most difficult part to learn as a new teacher is when the need for the bathroom is necessary. Many times it is an avoidance. Do they have time between classes? If so, that's when they should use it. those that really have to go will let you know.

The consequences for needed for students will probably cause you to lose your lunch or time that you need to prepare or just relax. Sometimes you have to do what you don't want to do so students know you mean business. No fun, but the way it is. By the way, this happens for parents disciplining their kids!

You are making progress and things will get even better.

4. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Oct 20, 2018

It's just not standard procedure in my school to make kids lose their lunch and we only have 25 mins. I have never heard of anyone giving a lunch detention and it's not a consequence listed on our behavior form. I feel like I do not want to take away the only free time the kids have but detentions after school Tues-Thurs is usually what is done.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  5. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Oct 20, 2018

1 - I tell students to ask me to use the restroom when the student who's out gets back. I tell them I don't take reservations.
    2 - For students trying to avoid work, I usually say to complete a problem or two and then ask me again. Half the time that gets them started and they forget they need to go.

6. rpan

rpan Cohort

Oct 20, 2018

Maybe they don’t have to lose their lunch? Maybe stay back for 5 mins to tidy up the classroom, or do an additional question?

If detentions are working for you at the moment, then stick with them, since they are the consequence of choice at your school. It doesn’t mean that just because you give more detentions, it means you are doing something wrong. Just keep working on classroom management and relationships with your students and the detentions will naturally decrees because the kids behave better.

7. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Oct 20, 2018

I don't have kids for lunch but I'm in high school. However, we can have detentions before and/or after school every day.

8. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Oct 20, 2018

I just don't like the detention for not taking notes. Not taking notes is an academic thing so I don't like behavior consequences for academic issues. It would be like giving a detention for not doing homework or bombing the test.

9. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Oct 20, 2018

Yeah, good point. I don't think I will do this anymore and I could just continue to confiscate paper balls, etc. I could tell them that if they have a good day on Monday, they can earn their way out of the detention.

10. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Oct 22, 2018

Omg the kids were horrific today!!! I’m not that upset about it but it is ridiculous!

The problem is that I’m always afraid to let them talk and work like my other classes so I ask them to do stuff silently which is probably too much! But they are getting obnoxious!!

11. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Oct 22, 2018

I hear you! It's getting to that time of the year too.

We're all getting worn out, the shiny-ness of the new school year has worn off, and holidays galore are coming up. Students who are usually fine are starting to bend/break rules just because they can. I plan to really crack down on behavior this week in my classroom too.

Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  12. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Oct 25, 2018

I am getting very tired of the behavior. I'm definitely not letting it affect my day like I did last month but I am still over it!! Most of it now is throwing things and talking. I have one student who was disruptive today and he earned two sessions as well as a behavior write up because he has had 4 detentions for the same behavior. My mentor said it's fine to ask for admin action when it is the same student and you've contacted parents and given multiple detentions. I think that's my next step with them & I wrote up this kid for further consequences.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  13. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Oct 25, 2018

You have followed the "chain of command" up to this point and now it becomes adminstration. They shouldn't have a problem with it now.

Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  14. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Oct 25, 2018

Thanks! I emailed the social worker about 3 students and she said she will talk to them as well as have admin talk to them. I also told her that I am writing up any issues with these 3 students in the future.

One of the students has had detentions for talking/laughing/making noises. I want to reach out to his parents to inform them that his behavior has not improved and that administration will be speaking with the student tomorrow. Do you think I should? I hate always sending parents negative emails but still!!

I was thinking of saying;

I wanted to provide and update on XXX's behavior in math class. This week, XXX has struggled to maintain focus in math class and needed multiple reminders to stay on task. For example, he has been talking/laughing and making noises in class. It is for this reason that he has received detentions in class. I have reached out to our administration about XXX's behavior in math class and they will be speaking with him tomorrow to discuss strategies to maintain focus and improve his behavior in class.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

***I could also wait to send this until tomorrow to see how he behaves.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  15. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Oct 25, 2018

Let me just second this! In my first year, the stretch between now and Christmas was easily the toughest which I didn't expect and no one prepared me for. I mean, it's still a hard stretch some years, but that first year with my toughest group it was brutal some days. Not sure if that's how it'll play out for you, but it does seem to be a thing that a lot of teachers go through. Hang in there and be as consistent as you can. You're doing great! :)

Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  16. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Oct 25, 2018

I’m also confused about what to do with one student. I thought I saw him talking to another student during a test so I gave him a session (and I told the kids that they would get automatic detentions for talking during the test since it is the district assesment). He claims he was only looking at the student and for the rest of class was complaining that he had detention for looking at someone? I’m not sure if I should keep his detention or remove it.

17. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Oct 25, 2018

Keep it.

Discuss with this student that, in the future, if he ever feels he was unfairly given a consequence, he needs to respectfully ask if he can talk to you later or in private. Complaining over and over is not a way to handle a problem. At that point the consequence is half for arguing with you.

18. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Oct 26, 2018

Did you ask why he was looking at the student??? I'd love to hear the answer! What possible legitimate reason could have have had?

19. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Oct 26, 2018

I think this is fine to send, just be sure you fix the typo. :)

20. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Oct 26, 2018

I talked to the student and said that the session was for arguing and he understood.

My admin was very supportive today. I wrote a detailed report for one student who was disruptive (repeated behavior.) Today, he did the following...
    -got mad at me when I asked another student to turn around during the Do Now. (Oh my god, we can’t do anything in this class!!!)
    -refused to stop shredding paper until I asked him twice
    -refused to give me his phone until I said that I have to talk to him after class if he doesn’t give it to me
    - got mad at me when I reminded another student to only talk to their partner (oh my god!! He wasn’t even doing anything!)
    -talking when he isn’t supposed to

Admin pulled 3 kids that I emailed the social worker about before my class and two of the students were better behaved. The student I wrote about student received 3 lunch detentions from admin for his behavior today after my write up. My VP emailed me and said that she gave mom an update from behaviors today when she picked him up. She also confiscated his phone for the day because of his behavior today. It’s frustrating that his behavior was the same even after admin talked to him. Maybe the lunch detentions will improve his behavior?

The class as a whole is still tough with the talking. Today I had them do one problem as a silent exit ticket because they were talking when someone was explaining. They didn’t like it...lol! I am planning on grading harshly especially if they don’t have any work from class done.

This class is no longer allowed to use the pencil sharpener because they left it a mess yesterday. The new procedure is that they hold up their pencil if they need to sharpen it and then I give them permission to walk to the handheld sharpener. One girl kept asking me if she could throw something away and my policy is that students are not allowed to throw anything away during class anymore because it is a disruption. Does this seem fair? She walked over after I said no, so she has a detention as well.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018