Classroom Management HELP

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Holyoke, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Oct 13, 2018

What are thoughts about "stamping" Do Nows to increase completion? I don't want to grade them but I want some sort of accountability.

2. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Oct 13, 2018

I love the mystery # idea = it is exactly what my students need!! I'm wondering if I can say something like "I have a short game planned for us at the end of the day IF we are productive." I have heard of elementary teachers erasing letters when kids are not on task. How would you phrase this?

3. rpan

rpan Cohort

Oct 13, 2018

I usually tell my students at the beginning of the class that I have an agenda for today’s lesson and if i don’t have to stop the lesson because of disruptions, if I don’t have to spend time telling people off and giving detentions then we will be able to play a game at the end of the lesson. So if you make the right choices then the lesson ends in 50 minutes and we play a game. If you make the wrong choices then the lesson ends in one hour and we work all the way to the bell. So how your lesson goes is entirely up to you.

4. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Oct 13, 2018

You may be talking about "sponge" activities - easy, fun, learning related, self-directed and easy to correct activity that is a matter of routine no matter when students have "free time". If they have five minutes at the end of day routine is to work on sponge. Finished with bell work = sponge. Waiting for help = sponge.

On first day I gave each student a generic scantron answer sheet with their seat # at the top. Desks were marked with sticky notes. On the board (done in advance) were two problems with a-b-c-d solutions (like test format). I also gave each student a sponge activity. Standing at the door I greeted each student (shook hands) and gave directions: "Find your seat and follow the written directions on the board." In addition to the "two problems" were directions of what to do and what to do when finished - work on sponge activity. A key thing was the sponge activity. As you know, students finish at different times. If they have nothing structured to do they will find ways to entertain themselves all of which you won't like. Both the answer sheet and sponge activity were kept in students' binders. Extra sponge activities were kept in baskets in the back of the room - when they finished one they turned it in and took another one. Some students liked "Hidden Picture" so much they asked if they could take them home for homework. Hidden Picture reviewed things like X facts, place value, GCF, simplest form fractions etc. By coloring in the correct answers students would reveal a picture which was easy to correct at a glance. And none of this demands extra time from the teacher except to copy sponge work sheets and initial routine training.

otterpop likes this.
  5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 14, 2018

SKUNK is a favourite with my classes.

"What Number Am I?"--I choose a number and give them the range--between and 100, for example. They ask "yes" or "no" questions to determine the number.

"Hit the Target"--give the students 4 numbers with 1 or 2 digits and a "target number" that has 3 or 4 digits. The students must use all 4 numbers and any operations to get as close as possible to the target number.

6. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Oct 15, 2018

Today was surprisingly not horrible. I gave 3 detentions for talking/laughing across the room during classwork. I think the new seats also helped but the kids for the most part were quiet during classwork. I’m hoping that the detentions (and being strict during them) will help the kids. I didn’t get a chance to try the working for an activity today but maybe tomorrow.

Before, I had the kids do nothing in detention after their reflection sheet or do homework. I also didnt give a consequence for talking during detention! My mentor suggested making them write out multiplication facts which I am doing tomorrow. (I did it for one kid that I had today & he liked doing it LOL)

My math coach still tells me to try stations though and makes me feel bad for not wanting to do it!!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  7. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Oct 15, 2018

Think of the math coach as like a bad ex. It isn't you, it's her. Get over her and move on.

Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  8. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Oct 15, 2018

Yeah I was like things are finally getting better and you want me to go back to what wasn’t working before??

9. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Oct 16, 2018

The first part of today's class went really, really well with my tough class. It went better than it did with ALL of my other classes. It was an exploration lesson and I had tons of participation. (My other class barely participated and I had to use popsicle sticks to get kids to talk.) Again, they lost focus in the last 20 minutes so I need to figure that out. I gave two detentions for talking and called a few parents. I had the kids write out their multiplication facts in detention and was very strict about being silent and they hated it. :) I'm basically doing what the science teacher does in terms of detentions and one kid has two with me so he has to come next week too. She said that eventually they do not want to come to detention twice a week. I am no longer dreading this class and I actually like that they participate a lot more than my first class of the day.

10. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Oct 16, 2018

I would say the class did very well. You just need to mix it up a bit and find something for when they "are done." I don't know what that is but it is the next step.

I think finding solutions is best by talking to the teachers who also have these kids. The math coach sounds like a "textbook" not someone in the trenches! You are beginning to find those who can help you.

11. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Oct 16, 2018

^
    Right, it's the last part of class (and any time that is unstructured, ie. classwork) where they are struggling. Still trying to figure out what to do because I have a lot of material to get through. I haven't lost a day to behavior in this class recently however. I think being strict with detentions will help. Before, I didn't even give them a detention assignment. The science teacher has 29 f the same kids and she continues giving detentions which is what I'm doing to. However, I have 4 more kids as her and 3/4 of the "extra" kids in my class are behavior problems. That's why I think I need to be more strict.

My coach came to observe this class when they were really good and we are debriefing tomorrow. I hope she has some useful feedback. I did gain a lot from the lesson she taught, like having a student read the objective every day.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  12. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Oct 17, 2018

Tell us about the debriefing!

Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  13. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Oct 18, 2018

^
    The debriefing was good and she said she would recommend more than one minute of think time and more time to turn and talk. I told her that it was hard to check in with kids during the Do Now because when I work with a kid, a lot of kids start misbehaving. The behavior was good during the lesson and good today. I did give 3 detentions...one for turning around and laughing repeatedly, one for making a paper airplane during the lesson and not taking notes, and one for shredding paper and not taking notes. The science teacher gives detentions for chewing gum so I figure that these detentions are justified. Instead of multiplication facts, I'm going to have the kids organize their binders or make up assignments during detention.

The good thing is that the class is finally more under control (fingers crossed). I can pass out papers or set up the doc cam and the kids will talk (which is totally fine) but I can get their attention back without an attention signal or I can just do a quick countdown so it's not like I'm wasting a ton of time. Interestingly, I have been focusing on this class so much that the behaviors in my other two classes have started to show up!

14. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Oct 19, 2018

The behavior wasn't too bad again today. I finally had one week with them where I didn't have a horrible day! I did have to give two detentions again (poking another kid with a pencil and talking when he wasn't supposed to) and to one girl for coloring instead of taking notes (repeated issue every day). (The VP walked in and also stopped at this girl's desk to confiscate something she was drawing.) I figure that a logical consequence is that you copy the notes in extra help or do academic work since you missed. Academically, the class is struggling but that's another issue. The computer teacher gave me the advice to talk to one student who is getting repeated detentions and explain to him that when I look at him, that is one warning. I have been able to ease up a little bit on this class and I don't give warnings anymore, but I just say 'turn please, etc' which has been working better. I also took attendance today while they had 30 seconds of unstructured time and they are doing a lot better with that too. (Although I did have one kid get up to fix another boy's ponytail in the 30 seconds I was passing something out...lol)

Interestingly, the behavior in my high class has gotten worse + it is after lunch. I feel like higher kids can sometimes be more argumentative with redirections. I gave two detentions for repeated talking to people they were not supposed to be. The class didn't start great because I ran out of copies of a worksheet somehow so they had to share and write the problems on a separate sheet of paper. (However, if any class could handle it, it was them and they did great with it & it was just for the beginning. There are two kids that I am struggling with and both of them have attitudes every time I correct them. (Ex. I expect that they are working during a Do Now, not turning around and laughing. One particular student was turning around and laughing and he complained that he got a warning when he wasn't talking. Same issue with another student. These kids did not even get a detention!) And whenever I correct one of This is why I honesty prefer the kids in my morning classes at times because although it's harder to teach and the behaviors can be harder to manage, they don't have attitudes like I am encountering here. I don't have concerns about their behavior as a whole but it's just two kids that are obnoxious.

Finally, my other issue with my tough class is the bathroom issue. Literally every 5 minutes, someone wants to go to the bathroom. I do not want kids to miss instruction when I can't give individual help and it is getting ridiculous. And then they complain "I asked before her, etc." I want to be like "I CANNOT KEEP TRACK OF ALL OF THESE REQUESTS!!!" LOL. My policy with my other class is one at a time and it works well but this class is ridiculous! Any ideas? My mentor says she has the kids put their name on the sign out sheet and they go when the next person comes back. However, this is a loI might try this policy now & if they go during instruction it is their choice to miss whatever they are missing. They are good about coming back quickly but still...it is obnoxious.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  15. rpan

rpan Cohort

Oct 20, 2018

What I do to manage the bathroom requests is to ask the students to ask me again in x minutes. Usually it’s a weird number like 6 minutes or 7 minutes, something like that. Many of my students, especially in my tougher class, use bathroom breaks to take a break from work or avoid work or because they are bored from doing work etc. If they remind me again in the stipulated number of minutes then they can go. This helps to weed out the ones who want to go for genuine reasons and those who want to go for a walk and take a break. If we are within 10 minutes of the bell, no one leaves the classroom, so they don’t even bother asking because they know what the answer will be. My students are older than yours though.

16. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Oct 20, 2018

I have tried saying 'Not right now' and they REMEMBER and get mad when someone goes before them. I cannot keep track of it. I can say 'ask me in 10 minutes' and see if it works Monday. I don't have this issue in any other class. It is super annoying.
    I'm wondering if I should do bathrooom tickets or charge school $$ for the bathroom (which is probably not allowed.)

17. rpan

rpan Cohort

Oct 20, 2018

My students usually know who’s asked first. If i’m unsure, I just ask the kids, who asked me first, and usually they can sort it out amongst themselves. You could try this if a kid has asked you. You can say it’s now 10.12am. Ask me again at 10.22am. So if you give the student the current time, then if you can’t remember who’s asked who first, then the kids know. They are usually honourable and don’t ‘jump the queue’.

Prob not a good idea to charge school dollars for it. If they have to go they have to go. But the trick is to weed out the ones who want to go genuinely from those who do it to avoid work or avoid the lesson. Those who just want to avoid work are not as good as remembering to remind you in 10mins, as those who really need to go, they count every minute till it’s their time.

18. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Oct 20, 2018

Do you let the kids go during a lesson? My issue is that I do not want kids to leave during a lesson. Ex. If a kid asks during the Do Now, I would rather them go then than during the lesson so they don't miss it.

19. rpan

rpan Cohort

Oct 20, 2018

Yes I do let kids go during the lesson, I mean if they need to then they need to. But if they take advantage and take too long to come back, I tell them that the next time they ask, it will be a no because they have taken advantage. If they are quick about coming back, then they usually don’t miss more than a few minutes. Sometimes, if it’s something really important I’m teaching, then I say no, but otherwise, I do let them go.

20. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Oct 20, 2018

Maybe I will try this on Monday, thanks!!

My other concern is that I'm wondering if I am giving too many detentions. My mentor only gives 10 a year. I probably will have 10 kids on Tuesday alone. (Not for the same day though.) However, I have seen it improve behavior. (Ex. a detention for shredding paper instead of taking notes & the kid didn't shred paper or not take notes the next day even though he hadn't even come to his detention yet.) I also gave a session to a girl for drawing instead of taking notes (and this is a repeated behavior that I have talked to her about, etc.0 I am planning on talking to the one kid who is a repeat offender and saying that "a look = a warning" so he understands and is not upset when he gets a detention.