classroom mailboxes, etc

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by misshufford, Jun 22, 2006.

1. misshufford

misshufford New Member

Jun 22, 2006

Hello!
    I will be teaching fourth grade this year (last year I was teaching second grade, part-time)...I am wondering where I can find classroom mailboxes for my students that are cheap...I've looked everywhere!! Thanks!

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 22, 2006

Hi, Misshufford and welcome to AtoZ!

Did you look at www.Reallygoodstuff.com ? I don't think they are really cheap anywhere. You could make your own with stacking plastic file trays, maybe.

4. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jun 22, 2006

This site is awesome for classroom organization, and I believe they carry some sort of mailbox setup. But like all teacher suppliers, they are pricey! www.callowayhouse.com

5. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Jun 22, 2006

my husband had a gazillion cd cases with no cds in them. i hot glued them together to make mailboxes. it turned out really neat!

also, your school might have some that you could use. ask the principal. if not at your school maybe another school in the district does. we had some shipped from another school to our school (for another teacher). doesn't hurt to ask before spending the money.

LC

6. AZKinderTchr

AZKinderTchr Comrade

Jun 22, 2006

Wow -- you guys are fast! I was going to say ReallyGoodStuff.com too. Love that website and the prices aren't too bad. They have a cardboard mail station that I have used -- it's pretty good.

7. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jun 22, 2006

One teacher I subbed for took a bunch (one per student) of the large-sized cans from the school kitchen. (The kitchen gets canned fruits and vegetables in them.) The teacher painted them, inside and outside. Then she stacked them in a pyramid shape. I am not sure how she connected them - some type of glue or bolted together?

That would be cheap!

8. Doublescoop

Doublescoop Companion

Jun 22, 2006

I found the traditional "mailboxes" way too expensive so I bought a plastic hanging folder box and hanging folders which I labelled with the children's names. It worked extremely well!

9. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 22, 2006

I use a hanging folder crate like Doublescoop suggested. Also, to make filing easier for me, I alphabetized the students by their first name, not last name.

10. teacherbecky

teacherbecky Rookie

Jun 22, 2006

I bought mine at Office Max, but it was on sale. I have seen some people use shoe organizers before. I have also seen it done the way GlendaLL suggested with the large cans or icecream cartons. Be creative!!!

11. cb4pebbles

cb4pebbles Companion

Jun 22, 2006

I only needed a "mailbox" to teach the students letter writing so I didn't need a large box for each child. I bought an over the door shoe storage chart from the Dollar Tree. It is made of plastic and is covered with little pouches for individual shoes. I designated each child a pocket. During mail delivery the "postman" delivered letters to the pouches.

12. Kathy9

Kathy9 Rookie

Jun 22, 2006

I bought my mailbox system at SAM's Wholesale Club about 8 years ago. I think it was around $30. It has held up really well.. I am still using it. I looked a few months ago for another teacher, but I didn't see any. I wonder if you could do a special order?? Or maybe check out Sam's online? I haven't looked there yet... just a thought.

13. misshufford

misshufford New Member

Jun 22, 2006

thank you!

14. ctopher

ctopher Comrade

Jun 23, 2006

I found a paper organizer (a large wooden box with shelves to store reams of paper) at a rummage sale for $5.00 a couple years ago. It works GREAT! It has 15 slots that are adjustable. You could make one easily using a cardboard box or scrap lumber.

Christopher (it's not all women on here!)

15. Miss O

Miss O Rookie

Jun 23, 2006

Hi, I also use an over the door shoe holder for a mailbox. I have it tacked to the wall. I bought a cloth one from K-mart and stapled numbers to it. Each student puts their assigned number on their paper by their name and it makes handing back papers really easy!

16. RitaFirstGrade

RitaFirstGrade Companion

Jun 23, 2006

I got mine at an office supply store. It is worth the cost, I think!

17. cmmottau

cmmottau Rookie

Jun 23, 2006

Hi I'm Cathy and I will be teaching second grade for the first time and I love the idea of the over the door shoe organizer for a mail system. I was only going to use one mail box but it would be so much nicer for the students to have their own mail box.

Thanks for the tip, you guys rock!
    Cathy :)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2006
  18. nyteacher01

nyteacher01 Companion

Jun 23, 2006

I just saw something I might try on bedbathandbeyond.com
    It's a shoe organizer with 30 slots and it's only $9.99

19. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2006

I saw this once and forgot about it until now- what a great idea. I guess the main thing would be how to connect them ...:confused:

20. Texas Gal

Texas Gal Companion

Jun 23, 2006

I also got mine at Sam's Club last year. It had 12 slots for 14.00, but you could stack them one on top of the other. These are sturdy, but I did have to hot glue the shelves into place because they come out!

21. Carla

Carla Companion

Jun 23, 2006

I also use shoe organizers and have for several years. They are easy. I put daily papers to go home in them and the kids pick them up on the way out the door. They also have to put their library cards in them. Cheap and Easy!