Classroom Library

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Jessie Gilbert, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Jessie Gilbert

Jessie Gilbert Rookie

Jun 6, 2018

Hi Everyone!

I am so BIG on having an extensive classroom library! In the past I have mostly taught 4th grade and I did teach one year of 6th. I am now teaching 1st grade and starting over gathering books. Does anyone have any affordable tips on getting my library put together ASAP? Thank you!

3. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Jun 6, 2018

'Tis the season for garage sales! My local library does a bi-annual book sale to make room for new titles, so it may be worth checking to see if yours does something like that.

readingrules12, bella84 and otterpop like this.
  4. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jun 6, 2018

• Garage sales/estate sales
    • City/County libraries (they often sell used books - often for really, really cheap! They also have occasional larger book sales)
    • Post on "buy nothing" groups or buy/sell, or even browse them -- there's often teachers or families trying to get rid of some old books!
    • Check with your school's library (or others in the district) - they often discard books over time
    • Ask fellow teachers -- sometimes they are updating their library or have too many copies of a book
    • Use Scholastic Book Orders -- I've got tons of free books that way through parent orders and then carefully applying the bonus points. I still have a good $350 from the below grant and about $600 worth of bonus points to spend...ha
      • Apply for the Patterson grant -- you might be able to get $500 to spend on books if you're lucky enough -- I was last year!
    It'll seem slow at first, but it'll pick up: I probably had just 100-200 or so in the first half of my first year (mostly my childhood books or ones from my maternity leave position that were given as a gift when I was done with that position), but now have somewhere around 1,700-1,900 books, even after donating 50-100 each year to other teachers/our used book fair.

Lysander, MissScrimmage and MsAbeja like this.
  5. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 6, 2018

First, I would check to see if your school is providing you with any books for a classroom library. While some teachers at my school do supplement our libraries, most teachers new to our building are provided with a classroom library, funded by the school.

Beyond or in lieu of that, I would recommend:
    - garage sales
    - local public library or YMCA book sales
    - Facebook Marketplace
    - Nextdoor app

My colleague just left teaching at the end of this school year, and she sold a ton of teaching stuff, including books, on Facebook Marketplace. I sold a bunch of books for younger grades that I no longer needed on the Nextdoor app last summer.

6. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Jun 7, 2018

A nearby college in my area hosts an annual free book giveaway. This year, the children's section had well over a thousand books, new or gently used. There might be similar giveaways in your area.

7. MsAbeja

MsAbeja Companion

Jun 7, 2018

I LOVE having an extensive classroom library. I'm a first-year teacher and I started off with nothing, but have hundreds of books already, and I didn't have to pay for any of them.

The vast majority of my books came from DonorsChoose. I highly recommend it! If you work at a public school, use this link to sign up and I can help your project out with its first donation!
    http://share.donorschoose.org/lVVGm

8. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jun 18, 2018

Even just mention it on a facebook post. Friends and family may be willing to clean out home.

9. Bibliophile

Bibliophile Companion

Jun 18, 2018

I get a lot of donation on the local Facebook swap and sell page. I post that I am a local teaching looking for donations of ___________ and then I tend to do pretty well.

I just got a 4 man tent for my summer autism class. I posted that we had a camping theme for ESY and I was hoping to get a used tent that someone was getting rid of to set up as a sensory tent. Within 24 hours I had someone offering to buy me a branding new tent and I picked it up the next day.

10. Rita A Lienhard

Rita A Lienhard New Member

Jun 28, 2018

11. Rita A Lienhard

Rita A Lienhard New Member

Jun 28, 2018

I looked on Craigslist and found a former teacher selling boxes and boxes of books. She was kind enough to throw in a bunch of classroom supplies, too.

12. Lysander

Lysander Companion

Jun 29, 2018

I agree with Scholastic Book Clubs. They're obviously a for-profit company, but they seem to really want to get books in kids' hands. I once got an incorrect book, and when I called to have it corrected, they sent the correct book and told me to keep the incorrect book for my classroom library rather than sending it back. You can also get lots of free books with bonus points or as monthly rewards when your students order.

For immediate books, I also recommend garage/yard sales and library sales. You can also see if the Scholastic warehouse in your area is having their semi-annual warehouse sale. Lots of titles for lower prices, and this year they are doing buy-one-get-one-free. Also see if there are teachers retiring in your area - many are glad to see their collection getting continued good use.