Classroom Library and AR

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Sunny Teacher, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Sunny Teacher

Sunny Teacher Rookie

Jun 22, 2009

For those of you who teach in a school that uses Accelerated Reader, how do you level/set up your class library? I am a first year teacher, and am just starting to get my library organized and would like to hear of effective ways for setting up a library with AR books. I have seen Beth Newingham's library, and I really love it, but can I incorporate it with the AR program?

3. gab

gab Comrade

Jun 24, 2009

Our librarian has several printouts of AR books students can read for which we(the school) have purchased the tests. The three lists are organized differently- one is by author, another is by title, and the last by AR reading level.

I find the last one to be helpful in purchasing books for the level I need to add books to my library. The first 2 are the ones I used to go through my 1000+ books to pull AR books from my themed or author sets.

I discovered that I had over 200 AR books from the lowest level to some in the 4th/5th grade level. I teach 2nd Grade and usually utilize the Brown, Yellow, and Orange levels the most.

I then used color coded stickers/labels to match AR levels and placed them on the books in each level as well as noting it's actual AR level in permanent marker near the level sticker/label.

I used Word to list all books alphabetically within their color level. I keep this in a folder on my computer so I can update as I add AR books to my library. As kids are tested for their level they get a copy of their level list to keep track of their titles read and tested so they don't repeat a test since the system doesn't allow that to occur so why waste time.

I keep all my AR books on one bookcase, separate from the rest of my library, with all the same level books together on their own shelf so kids know where their level books are located. I know this is a lot of detail...I hope it helps.

4. ranger1stgrd

ranger1stgrd Companion

Jun 25, 2009

I pull out all my books and use relearn.com to find out what level they are. I put those round stickers from Wal-Mart in the right hand corner with the level written (1.2) Then I have a basket for the different levels, 1's basket and 2's basket.

5. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jun 25, 2009

Did you mean renlearn.com? If so, that's what I use to level my books.