Classroom libraries

Discussion in 'General Education' started by otterpop, Mar 11, 2019.

1. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Mar 11, 2019

For those of you that lend out books- how do you make sure you'll actually get them back?

I've always lent books out with a nonchalant attitude of, hopefully they'll get brought back but if not, at least my students are reading. I find that, 95% of the time, students are responsible about bringing books back.

That other 5% is bothering me, however, as recently some of my more popular (and expensive) graphic novels have gone missing. I'm also missing my first books of some popular series.

I've taken to saying that the graphic novels can't be borrowed, but they still end up getting taken and not returned.

Students use a checkout system in my classroom but the same ones who are not responsible about returning books are also not responsible about correctly using the system.

How can this be solved?

3. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Mar 12, 2019

Same problem here. I tried a Google Form, which worked fine, but I didn't keep up with it and now I think half the kids aren't even filling it out. I honestly just write DonorsChoose grants for the 5% every year. It is definitely annoying, but I'd rather lose a book than lose a reader.

otterpop likes this.
  4. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Mar 12, 2019

Yeah, I guess this is just something I need to count on. It sucks though.

5. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Mar 12, 2019

I figure that if books go missing, they're with a kid who it likely meant a lot to.

I, too, have no major system, after trying multiple ones over my first few years. I love the easy access this gives students. Some books do go missing eventually, and we have to occasionally do a "bring allllll books back that you have" time, as some get left at home, but not that many go missing, I'd say. And out of those that do, I usually get a good chunk of them in future years, which actually provides a fun opportunity to connect with that student.

otterpop likes this.