Classroom layout

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by SarahJ, May 19, 2008.

1. SarahJ

SarahJ Companion

May 19, 2008

Hi all

Please can some of you teachers describe your classroom layout to me or direct me to pictures/diagrams of your classroom.

I am going for an interview at a pre-school ( 3 - 4yr old group) this Friday and I really hope I get the position BUT the classrooms are small and I would like some inspiration in case of questions regarding classroom design etc

Thanks

Sarah

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

4. SarahJ

SarahJ Companion

May 19, 2008

Thanks STG. The classrooms at the school (and indeed 99% of pre-schools here) are roughly 4 or 5 meters wide and about 7 meters long and this includes the space for the teachers desk/storage. Not a lot at all! Unfortunately :( I've been t the school before and everything is just pushed against the walls.

5. LissiaLou

LissiaLou Rookie

May 21, 2008

Hope this helps......

Now, keep in mind that I am a Home Care Provider BUT my main Playroom is only about 200 square feet (long and narrow type room with 2 doors, an entrance door leading into the kitchen and one into the laundry room, and one window. So most every wall has something to challenge my set-up)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have to uplaod the others, brb. ;)

6. SarahJ

SarahJ Companion

May 22, 2008

That looks good :) Thanks. I've also got to bear in mind that I will have aproximately 20 - 25 4yr olds in there!!!!! And probably no assistant. There is a huge outside area, but they do need to play inside too, especially when it rains!

7. LissiaLou

LissiaLou Rookie

May 22, 2008

with so many in your class......

make sure to set CLEAR rules regarding centers and such. I visited a center that had little home-ade "blockades". The teacher had a # in a circle (laminated) at the entrance to each center. Once the center was occupied by that many kids, she'd put the small "blockade" in the little entry way to signal it was full.

Even with so many in your group, you can still accomplish a successful center based layout. work with what you have in your classroom and just play around with the different ways you could arrange everything. if there is something you need to make everything work, dont be afraid to ask your center director! Take advantage of wall space by using inexpensive hooks (ask your director before drilling/hanging any shelves or hooks) And dont think everything has to be pushed against the wall! (Just test to make sure the furniture or what not cannot be tipped over) without little partition type structure, all your centers will "run together" and that leaves potential for alotta mess and bickering.

good luck! Let us se what you came up with when you finish.

8. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

May 23, 2008

Hi Sarah: I have a page on my website where you can see each area of my preschool classroom, if you scroll down to the bottom of the page there is a link to a diagram of my classroom.
    Best of luck to you!

9. SarahJ

SarahJ Companion

May 25, 2008

Hi

Thanks for all the links. Interview ended up being moved to Thurs afternoon with little notice. They asked very few questions about classroom management, planning, setup etc but they did ask if I felt confident to run a class and I said yes because I am confident in myself, confident enough to ask for help when I need it and knowledge of the theory behind classroom management. They said they would call on Friday afternoonas it was between me and another teacher and I've had no call :( I really want this job. Am hoping that they're just busy and will call with positive news on Monday...

10. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Jul 2, 2008

Any news?
    Would love to hear.