Classroom jobs

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by Mrs.Mom, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Mrs.Mom

Mrs.Mom Companion

Aug 1, 2008

What kinds of jobs do you have in a 3rd grade classroom? I'm sure this has been posted before, but with getting closer to the start of the year, I'd like to throw this out there again!

3. dola0072

dola0072 Rookie

Aug 1, 2008

I had teacher helper, 2 line leaders (we lined up in two lines), library helper (that person would bring the library basket down to the library and bring it back up on the day that we had library), paper passer, paper collector. These are just to mention a few. If you go to this link http://www.atozteacherstuff.com/Tips/Classroom_Jobs/
    it has a lot of neat ideas that are here on this forum. Good luck!

4. wrigleyroo

wrigleyroo Rookie

Aug 10, 2008

I have two class managers a day. They do everything and I rotate them everyday. I am not organized enough to keep track of who has what job. :)

5. susie.w

susie.w New Member

Aug 11, 2008

I have one helper per day. That child does everything...line leader, attendance, lunch count and any errands that I have. I use appropriate diecuts on a ring that hangs above our calendar (apples, pumpkins, trees, snowmen, etc.) Each day the kids turn it so that the new helper is shown. This works great for me and for one whole day, that student feels really special!

6. bluebutterfly

bluebutterfly Rookie

Aug 11, 2008

Game Show Host
    In charge of Homeworkopoly
    Watch students roll and move
    Give out prizes
    Tutor
    Helps students when teacher is busy
    Secretary
    Assist teacher as needed
    Take attendance and lunch count
    Sanitation Department
    Check for trash on floor
    Dust
    Straighten up areas as needed
    Substitute
    Takes over jobs for absent students
    Assist substitute teachers
    Mail Clerk
    Distributes graded papers, notes, etc.
    Lumberjack
    Sharpens Pencils
    Store Clerk
    Check totals for store purchases
    Counts back change
    Librarian
    Place returned books in proper baskets
    Check random baskets for misplaced books
    Straighten up book baskets
    Cashier
    Cashes checks
    Train Engineer
    Line Leader
    CSI Inspector
    Checks for clean desks
    Ambassador
    Flag salute
    Help new students
    Nurse
    Gather work for absent students
    Make ‘Get Well’ cards for sick students
    Cheerleader
    Stamps papers as directed by teacher

Each job lasts one month. Then the new person will be trained by the old person. Some jobs have two people assigned.

7. bluebutterfly

bluebutterfly Rookie

Aug 11, 2008

Also, I use to do one helper a day and called it "Teacher's Pet".

8. just-n-educator

just-n-educator Companion

Aug 16, 2008

I think I might have one or two helper a day rather then 5-7 helpers a week.

9. IndyJo

IndyJo Companion

Aug 16, 2008

Materials Coordinators
    Couriers
    Technicians
    Room Directors
    Librarians
    Mail Persons
    Laptop Arrangers
    Teacher Assistants

10. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Aug 16, 2008

This isn't a bad idea actually. The gal I student-taught for had a job board with about 7 different jobs on it (one for each student) but I remember when we reviewed them each morning, it would seem like somehow the names had been re-arranged and one student would be line leader when they had just done it two days ago. We never did figure out how that happened. And too, you had to remember to shuffle the names. I'm wondering if more than one of us was shuffling the names at the end of the day and that's how that happened.

11. Hunter's Wife

Hunter's Wife New Member

Aug 17, 2008

I have taught 3rd for 11 years and have done from everyone has a job to only 2 jobs a day. The easiest for me is when I use 2 jobs a day. Line Leader and Caboose. I post Line Leader and Caboose signs. Using name plates, each student has a card. At the end of the day the LL changes names for the next day. Line Leader does everything from opening exereses to errands. Caboose is in line for duties the next day. The reasoning for Caboose is when Line Leader is absent or unable to perform duties. This gives everyone a chance to do all jobs, know when their day is, and allows everyone equal opportunities. Having 24 students, students know that every 12 days they have a job. Hope this helps.

12. Mrs.Mom

Mrs.Mom Companion

Aug 17, 2008

I kind of like this idea! Now I wish I wouldn't have ordered the big 'job' bulletin board set!

13. just-n-educator

just-n-educator Companion

Aug 17, 2008

I really like this idea too!!! I think I might give it a try!

14. iteachinIL

iteachinIL Rookie

Aug 19, 2008

I have 2 Teacher Assistants of the Week, a boy and a girl. They get to do any jobs I need. I rotate every week. The kids each get about 3 or 4 times to be the assistant depending on your class size. This does not take up the space you need to have a job board and it is much easier to manage.

15. Happy Chatter

Happy Chatter Rookie

Aug 20, 2008

I use my register and select a child from the bottom and a child from the top to be my class monitors. They do all the jobs in class that day...the next day new monitors...because I use my register I never forget who has been one!

16. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Aug 27, 2008

This year I have 1 job for every student per week.(I only have 15 students) I have it set up with clips and I will rotate them in a certain order at the beginning of the week. I spaced them out so that the jobs that involve a lot of things are mixed with the jobs that don't have much to do(like substitute). I've found that when I don't have a job for everyone, things get mixed up and they do the same jobs everytime their name is pulled. Also, this way I can make sure that everyone gets a chance to do each job and they don't get to choose. This is the first week of school and I am using "The World's Easiest Token System" in my classroom, so I am picking chips for certain tasks. They will start with their regular jobs next week.