Classroom Jobs

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by TerriInCa, Jun 16, 2012.

1. TerriInCa

TerriInCa Companion

Jun 16, 2012

Back when I taught 2nd grade last time (over 10 years ago now) I had classroom jobs, about 10 of them and the kids rotated each day.

When I think about that now it makes my head swim! With Pre-K I used 1 helper for the day.

Would that work with 2nd grade? Having just 1 helper for the day? That person is line leader, paper passer, and so on. Or would it just cause more problems?

Love to hear what others do for this!

3. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Jun 16, 2012

I'd have one VIP for the day, but also have other classroom jobs as well for other students.

4. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jun 16, 2012

I use classroom jobs in sixth grade. I know you teach the young ones, but it worked out great for us. I rotate by week. I would think that the younger ones would be happy to rotate by day. They love being asked for help.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 16, 2012

In the younger grades we often have a captain that changes daily. This students helps with all the tasks of the day.

6. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Jun 16, 2012

I have a boy classroom manager and a girl classroom manager that I rotate at the beginning of each week. they are the line leaders, paper passers, runners, etc. I also have a girl sub and a boy sub. They fill in if the manager is absent or busy. I like to keep it simple and this seems like the easiest way. Switching every day would make me crazy!

7. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jun 16, 2012

I have a job for every student that changes weekly and it works well for us, but other teachers in the building use 3 or 4 helpers a day (or week) and it seems to work well for them, too. I don't think it really matters as long as the kids perceive the way you switch jobs as fair. I have found that if all the kids have a job it creates a sense of contributing to our classroom community and builds responsibility.

8. rabyoga

rabyoga Rookie

Jun 20, 2012

I just have one helper (teacher's assistant, as I call them) for all classroom jobs. If they need help, they may choose a partner-but that rarely happens. I have my TA-as I call them for the week. I give a little treat -such as a full-size candy bar, etc. at the end of the week for being such a helper ;)

9. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jun 20, 2012

Wow. I'm jealous that someone can still give candy as a reward. :rolleyes:

10. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 20, 2012

I have several jobs that we change every Monday. :) Having one person could work, but some of my jobs, such as door holder and lunch basket require multiple people.

11. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 20, 2012

My kids have jobs within their groups, and aside from that, 1 person from each group serves as a library cleaner. Then, 2 students help organize math centers, and two check the floor at the end of the day. I don't do line leader as I assign a number for each student and we always stay in number order. Jobs within groups are: material manager, group speaker, cleaner, and group leader.

12. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 6, 2012

I have one "Helper of the Day." I've never done classroom jobs.

13. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 6, 2012

I'm rethinking this for the upcoming year. As I posted before, everyone had a job this year and the jobs rotated weekly...but I'm leaning toward hanging on to only the most useful jobs and having my Star of the Week do them for a week...just sounds so much simpler!

14. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 6, 2012

:yeahthat:I'm totally switching from "Helper of the Day" to "Star of the Day." I think my kids will love that!

Cute idea!!! :thumb: