Classroom disaster in front of admin

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by newbie12, Nov 25, 2018.

1. newbie12

newbie12 Rookie

Nov 25, 2018

Hi all,

I don't know how bad this is. I had organised a massive classroom celebration with food and activities for my year 8 class. I had left them outside for a minute with a teaching aid while I made the final set up of the food and technology (I had been in class all day so had no opportunity to do this earlier, and no one to help). When I went to get them, another teacher was screaming at them saying they had been knocking on the windows of her class and disrupting her lesson. She was not happy.

I directed my class to sit down and behave, but they wouldn't. They were hyped up and stupid. Out of no where, the assistant principal, the head of campus and the head of department appeared. Apparently they wanted to come and see the great celebration I had put on. They stood in silence for a minute at the scene, before they walked off shaking their heads. I was humiliated. I immediately cancelled the celebration, put all the food and activities in the bin, took the kids back to the classroom and did a worksheet in silence for the rest of the lesson.

Is there something I can do to salvage my reputation after this? The AP, HOC and HOD all witnessed it and seemed to be quite unimpressed. I sincerely regret trying to do something nice for my (immature) class

3. dpatriots1

dpatriots1 New Member

Nov 25, 2018

I am so sorry that happened to you! With that said, this probably isn't the first time the Assistant Principal has seen a well intentioned lesson go wrong. Kids will be kids, and sometimes they do get over excited about a fun activity and forget how to behave. I would go talk to your Assistant Principal about it. Explain what the goal was and what you would do differently next time. I have found that talking about what I would change always has a positive effect because it shows self-reflection and the desire for improvement. Good luck!

Linguist92021 likes this.