Classroom Decorations/Bulletin Boards

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by MathTeach24, Jun 25, 2009.

1. 88tuner

88tuner Rookie

Jul 2, 2009

You may have missed my point. We take what's happening on the web page and make daily presentations on the video equipment. Basically a 100 inch BB with moving pictures. Different every day, sometimes every hour. I only have each class once a day, unlike an elementary class where they see them all day long. The students look at the screen at the beginning of class while we do attendance. This serves as the announcements and keeps the students attention for a few minutes. After that, it's rehearsal all hour. I'm not saying this is how it should be done in every class. I just offered a view of how this works for me.

2. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jul 2, 2009

OOOHhh.... Okay, I see what you're sayin'. I thought you were just talkin' about a regular classroom website. Gotcha. :thumb:

3. jessi.lewis

jessi.lewis Rookie

Jul 2, 2009

Chemteach, can we hear more about how you set up your "word wall"? Sounds interesting! :)

4. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 2, 2009

I agree that a well decorated room is fun and inviting (and actually, my room is covered in Simpsons and pandas. :) )

I just didn't agree with the idea that a BB that isn't decorated means that the teacher doesn't care or that it negatively affects his/her relationship with the students.

5. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 2, 2009

I have 8 bulletin boards not counting the small one I added. I change the one in the hall about every six weeks - our marking period. This past year every board included a replica of our school mascot - his costume changed depending on the board's theme. Sometimes student work was displayed there, sometimes season themes with student made highlights. I also utilize the hall wall to highlight major projects the kids create. THe big one on the side of my room changes only about 2-3 times a year - usually focuses on the main theme of each semester. For example, I'll have writing oriented posters prior to the state writing exam and literature related ones for the rest of the year. It is usually my welcome back to school board for the first month. I have a retracting wall with 6 panels and four of them change several times through the year depending on what is going on. One is usually a summary wall for the current novel - all handwritten (sometimes by the students) including info such as a summary of each chapter or rising action, etc. Another one usually changes depending on the current unit, one is used as a word wall - any student can add any new word they come across in their reading along with its part of speech/definition. Two - the list of state standards and the character counts one - usually don't change. I have one small one by the door and that contains the various schedules, lunch menu, etc. That changes as needed.

I like color and change - I have an inside room, no windows, on an inside hall with no natural light nearby. The color helps make my room comfortable for me and I assume for my students. I also sprinkle the walls with various inspirational posters that change as the spirit moves me. Does this help?

6. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 2, 2009

I would use the boards to track student data and as a word wall. Students really respond to seeing their successes tracked. I simply gave a student a "user name" or a number and then I would color code their test scores (based on our 5 tiered standardized testing levels). My kids would run to the board on Monday mornings to see if they tested "proficient" or "accelerated" and if a kid tested "basic" or "limited" they were working extra hard in class. Also, I would create bar graphs on excel, and my homerooms would have friendly competition. The kids always wanted to know which class has the most advanced students.

Word walls are great if they are used properly, especially for science. You need to update the words on a regular basis, based on units or content covered. One thing I found helpful is having a section of "testing vocabulary" for your word wall. Look at released tests from your state and introduce students to the vocabulary that is used on that test. By doing this, I discovered that many of my kids did not know the meaning of the word "disadvantage." I was blown away by that, and finding out that information helped me to better prepare them for state testing and for the next grade.

Make your boards useful. Don't put up lame posters from the teacher store or things your students will not use. The classrooms feel big, but we need every inch to encourage, assist, and display student learning.

7. MathTeach24

MathTeach24 Rookie

Jul 5, 2009

Thanks for all of the ideas. I plan on using a word wall and one of my bulletin boards for school news/information. I was hoping someone had some specific topics that they post in their chemistry, physics, or geometry classrooms.

8. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jul 5, 2009

I teach physics--both regular and honors and honors physical science. I only have 1 true bulletin board in my classroom. That is where I post my calendar and anything else that needs to be posted. The walls are then made into other boards. I make a word wall. I put up the words in ABC order for each section. These are the words that they need to know and will be on the wall when they take their test but I will not define during a test. I put the words in a different color for each group so they can easily pick out the words they need. I am going to make a "focus" board for each group. I am still trying to decide exactly how I am going to do this. If you google "focus board", you will get many examples. They are elementary but you can adapt it to high school. I am going to put up copies of any charts, etc. that the class will need to refer to. I am also planning on putting up the section learning objectives and essential questions. For instance--my first unit in regular physics is an introductory lesson. On my focus board, I will have all the learning objectives for the section and the essential question. I will also have a metric ladder, english to metric conversion factors, an poster with an example of a factor label problem, a poster that is on scientific notation, a drawing of a right triangle with the sides labeled and anything else I find that could be a reference for my students. I got several math and physics posters off of ebay at the end of the school year. I will have some random posters up for the whole year that all classes will use as reference like the lab report, scientific method, and lab safety posters. In addition to that, I collect and decorate around the room with frogs. All of the science department decorates our rooms with lots of things because most of the rest of the school is pretty plain classrooms. We also only have 1 tiny window in our classrooms so it makes the 3 large white walls less boring.

9. 5thgraderocks

5thgraderocks Companion

Jul 21, 2009

My bulletin boards get fresh (fadeless) paper and new borders in August and stay put until June.
    1) US map - use with current events; kid travels
    2) Birthday Board
    3) Notes: lunch menu; upcoming events, etc.
    4) Word/Vocabulary Wall
    5) The largest board will be blank when kids arrive. As anchor charts are created, the board will fill in.

Note: Do you redecorate you kid's bedrooms monthly?

I have holiday window clings and will stick a shamrock or a heart on a board but wouldn't think of completely redoing during the year.

10. MrsCAD

MrsCAD Companion

Jul 21, 2009

Can you tell me about your football punctuation game?

11. school_o_fish

school_o_fish Rookie

Dec 23, 2010

I may borrow some of these ideas. I will be teaching chemistry in Jan. and the classroom is very dark, dreary, and is not inviting at all. I am hoping to line my bulletin board with royal blue felt (one of our school colors) and add some of these ideas such as charts, diagrams, essential questions, etc.

I don't have the luxury of decorating with a theme though because I am only allowed to put things on 30% of the wall space and we already have safety posters and a periodic table up that are large and also mandatory.