Classroom Arranging Questions-please answer

Discussion in 'General Education' started by gritsteacher, Aug 11, 2017.

1. gritsteacher

gritsteacher New Member

Aug 11, 2017

How often do you rearrange your classrooms?
    Do you ever spend hours rearranging and then decide it doesn't work?
    Do you rearrange manually or do you you paper and pencil first?
    Have you ever got furniture for your classroom and it didn't fit?
    How often do you move rooms and have to decide on new classroom design?
    Once you get sitting arrangement for students, how often do you move the children around?
    Have you ever had a parent request to move their child away from another child, and doing that made more problems then before?
    How many hours do you think you spend on planning classroom design a school year?
    How many hours do you think you spend on planning student arrangement a school year?

3. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Fanatic

Aug 11, 2017

Wow, that's a lot of questions, and many of them are very similar.

I start my students in a seating chart. I change it up every grading period or so, depending. Because much of my classwork involves moving around the room, students are not always in their desks for a whole class period, so it takes longer for arrangements to get stale.

I spend maybe an hour total all year working on seating charts and arranging furniture. I usually keep my desks arranged in a U shape, but move them into rows for administering state tests.

4. rpan

rpan Companion

Aug 11, 2017

Once I know the students, getting a seating plan is pretty easy and takes no time at all. I do this once or twice a year. The aim of a seating plan is to help students help themselves to get in the routine of working when I ask them, listening when they need to. So once the routine is there, it doesn't matter if they get familiar with the people sitting with them; because the habit of getting down to business when the time comes, has been established.

I prefer rows, just because I find it easier to navigate around the classroom.

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Maven

Aug 12, 2017 at 10:31 AM

I only get to work with whatever furniture is in the room unless class size exceeds desks. I see seating as very flexible - anything can be moved, moved again. Where I put the students is much more dependent on me knowing who's who, especially early in the semester. Unless there is an overwhelming need to move students, I don't. To OP - why the obsession?

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2017 at 11:46 AM

My classroom arrangement and seating plans are very fluid and they are based on the needs of my students. I'd say that I probably change things up every 3 - 4 weeks. Even during that time, students are constantly changing where they sit as we group and regroup throughout the day.