Classes you won't sub for?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by MrsPoppy, Dec 28, 2012.

1. MrsPoppy

MrsPoppy Rookie

Dec 28, 2012

I'm curious if I'm the only picky one out there. I don't mind subbing for general ed or academic subjects, but I will no longer sub in High School (I'm only certified K-8 anyway), and I am VERY hesitant to accept any special ed subbing assignments, or ISS (in-school suspension) assignments. These are because of my grade-level certification, I know that special ed is emotionally exhausting for me, and the ISS kids were already kicked out of someone else's class, which means they'll likely be harder to handle.

Aside from that, though, I'm hesitant to sub for special classes such as gym, music, art, and computers. Is this the case for anyone else? I've only accepted gym and music (vocal and band) subbing from teachers I personally know because I'm a bit nervous about what caliber of plans I'll get, and those are subjects where I don't have the skill to improvise. I've been too reluctant to accept Art class subbing at all. Am I alone out there? Is it weird that subbing for Art is more intimidating for me than music or gym? I guess I just don't know what is expected when subbing in art? I mean... do they still use the pottery wheels and other equipment, or do they stick to drawing?

Other than that, I have one specific teacher I won't sub for, but that is based on my experience there.

So, do you have classes (not teachers) you won't sub for? And Why? Please, no bashing anyone... this isn't about individual classrooms, teachers, or students. It's about grade levels or types of classes or subjects

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Dec 28, 2012

I subbed everything. I was nervous about SpEd at first, but I actually loved it. A lot of my jobs were SpEd. I enjoyed all grade levels and subjects. I subbed a whole week for an advanced computer programming teacher. I had no idea what they were doing- ever!

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Aficionado

Dec 28, 2012

I wouldn't sub for: PE, Kindergarten

Prefer not to: 1-3rd grade, but would if there was nothing else

Have done one mild/moderate spec. ed, would give it a try, it was ok. Did a severe sped ed class, loved it!

I would do music, but not with students taking out instruments, etc. Wouldn't know what to do with that and wouldn't want to be responsible. When I subbed a music class for a week we did regular class work about composers, it was great.

Wouldn't have problem with or other electives.
    Anything 6th grade and up is ok.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Multitudinous

Dec 28, 2012

If the school is widely known for its music program, as some of the middle schools and high schools are in my area, the plans for a higher-level performance class may very well call for the sub to serve as the certificated body of record while a student effectively runs the rehearsal. I know of at least one middle school where that has been the standard procedure. In such a case there's really no reason not to follow the plans.

6. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Aficionado

Dec 28, 2012

I didn't say I wouldn't follow plans. I would just make sure I know what I'm getting into before I accept the job (know the teacher, or have prior communication, etc)

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Multitudinous

Dec 28, 2012

Makes sense, too, Linguist, and I wasn't intending a correction for you but raising another consideration for the community, if that makes sense.

8. microbe

microbe Comrade

Dec 29, 2012

Won't sub for metal or wood working classes anymore. In my district they don't lock the equipment up and students feel that having a sub means that they need to play with all the dangerous equipment while the teacher is away. No thank you!

9. Enseignante<3

Enseignante<3 Companion

Dec 29, 2012

I used to avoid HS jobs (still have never subbed in a HS). I'm certified k-6, I'm young and SHORT, and although that probably shouldn't matter...I was scared!

I also was usually hesistant to accept music, art, gym, etc. and special Ed. However, I'm currently a building sub, and I am required wherever they need me for the day. Now, it helps that I know the kids and teachers, and I can usually see the plans/ talk to the teacher the day before. But in my experience, those special areas usually understand that many subs aren't experts in that area, so the plans tend to be pretty easy to follow.

And subbing in special Ed has become one of my favorite places to be! But again, I know the kids. Usually though, there are plenty of paras in those rooms anyway...they're verrryyy helpful!

10. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Virtuoso

Dec 29, 2012

The closest I ever got to subbing elementary school was as the librarian for a district's joint elementary / middle school facility. I could handle reading a couple of silly stories with lots of voices and then running an activity before sending them back to class. However, I could not handle an entire day with small children and knew better than to attempt it.

11. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Comrade

Dec 29, 2012

Ditto, only replace librarian with elementary music for my sister. I ran instrumental lessons and then any general music sing along type things, the music student teacher from across the hall came over ran those. The kids were so fascinated that I can play the flute and look like my sisters twin they thought I was awesome.

Other than that I stay away from elementary. I also avoid elective classes at any level--mostly art, PE, and music.

12. Nietzsche

Nietzsche Companion

Dec 29, 2012

I avoid elementary phys. ed. but do a lot of secondary P.E. I avoid art, music and wood & metal shop. I usually avoid math and and higher level HS science. My one HS has AP biology, chemistry and physics classes and I don't like to baby sit HS kids who know more than me. I do a lot of special education at all grade levels.

13. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Dec 29, 2012

When I subbed I did mostly elementary, with the one exception of a school district that was very small (about 120 kids total, K-12). I did everything from kindergarten to P.E., to wood shop for that school. Everyone was in the same building. Otherwise, I avoided high school. I did some middle school, but only for the same teacher (the track coach) so I got to know those kids.

14. Special-t

Special-t Connoisseur

Dec 29, 2012

I was afraid to sub kindergarten and ended up loving that grade-level. The students were so adorable. I had a week long K assignment where I got to help them prepare for their holiday assembly. I literally cried during their performance because they were so darn cute.

I did not like subbing PE.

Ironically, I found subbing high school really boring compared to elementary, but I love teaching at the high school level.

15. pete2770

pete2770 Comrade

Dec 29, 2012

I'm not subbing yet, and I'm crossing my fingers that I land a job once I'm certified so I won't have to.

However, I would not sub elementary. No way, no how. Middle school and up. From there, I don't care which subjects.

I would have too much anxiety in an elementary room. Making sure they're not into this or that, that one or two of them isn't running off, having to move them quietly through the halls, etc.

Give me high school where I can talk and joke with the kids. I don't have the skills to communicate with kids just barely out of diapers.

16. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Dec 29, 2012

I'm not even on the lists for High School. That scares me.
    I'll sub middle school at times when I'm desperate for jobs, but I try to only do history, english or science. I stay away from math, because I'm not confident in my own memory of how to do a lot of things. Generally I avoid middle school, though. The classroom management exhausts me.
    I'm happiest in pre-k through third, although this year I've had several forth grade classes that were a pleasure. Fifth can go either way. I'll take it if it comes up, but if there is a choice between two jobs on a given day, the lower grade tends to win. I've done music, but I stay away from PE. That just seems like yelling all day.

17. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Dec 30, 2012

I used to be scared by high school, but now I love it.

I do not like PE jobs. And you have to dress down. I don't like going to a school and wearing gym type clothes. Once I did that and I was asked to do bus duty after school. The parents looked at me like trash seeing what I was wearing. I wanted to shout, "I subbed PE today!".

If you're not comfortable with a subject, you just get the kids to teach it. ie: I was asked to teach a guitar class. I do not know anything about guitar. So I called up a student to demonstrate the correct fingers, another one to demo the song, another one to be the "teacher" and listen for mistakes, etc.... Or get them to teach you. "Okay, now where do I put my fingers? Can someone come up and show me?" Refreshes everyone's memories together.

18. Enseignante<3

Enseignante<3 Companion

Dec 30, 2012

this just made me laugh a little:lol::lol: my anxiety is all over HS, and I picture them just totally not listening to me. I think I'm more worried about them being into this and that and leaving the room than my little elementary munchkins! I'm way more able to talk, joke, and communicate with the little guys! :)

19. Special-t

Special-t Connoisseur

Dec 30, 2012

One big relief in high school is when a kid runs out of the room, you don't have to chase them :)

20. Enseignante<3

Enseignante<3 Companion

Dec 30, 2012

:lol:

21. Joy

Joy Cohort

Dec 30, 2012

When I used to sub, I would stick with elementary. I subbed middle school music one day and never went back to anything above 5th grade. I tried to avoid special ed. because I didn't feel qualified. My second subbing day ever was spent in a self-contained special ed. room where the teacher had quit the day before. I was always nervous to do anything in special ed. after that! I also avoided PE for the reason that I didn't want to go to school dressed down.

I subbed Art a few times and the teachers left very easy plans! I was nervous about it beforehand because I cannot draw at all but it ended up not being required. If you sub for Art, you do need to be good about monitoring the noise level. Students want to talk while they work on their projects. I'm okay with that as long as it doesn't get too loud!

I now teach full-time music and always try to leave plans that could be followed by anyone! We have a hard time getting music subs in my district so I plan to not have one. I usually have them play some games that the kids know really well! So far, I've only had planned absences and I've let the kids know what they are going to do before I'm gone. My sub just needs to be there for crowd control and to keep everyone on track. I try to keep it easy on them because I know some people are intimidated by subbing for specials.