Class theme for 5th grade

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by 4myclass, Jun 2, 2007.

1. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 11, 2008

That is really cool! I wonder when it was created. Nebraska's liscence plate in the photo is a pretty old one.

2. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 12, 2008

I really like the "Swinging Into 5th Grade". I think I'll go with that one. I already have the desk plates, so I'll only need to pick up a few more things!

3. 5thgraderocks

5thgraderocks Companion

Jun 12, 2008

Construction Theme Idea for Fall 2008 ...
    This might have already appeared in someone else's reply, but it's very cool. Instead of bulletin board borders...use bright yellow "Under Construction" plastic ribbon. It's a lot cheaper and looks great. I found some cones at Oriental Trading that fit right in with the theme. Desk plates: I cut out bright yellow hard hats. Check the party stores for matching stuff in the Bob the Builder section. Bob is too childish, but I found a bag of plastic cones and little construction signs. I haven't figured out what I'll do with them:) Stickers and little junk will have a new home in my great $5.00 bright yellow tool box from Menards! I just finished (TODAY) covering my bulletin boards with new fadeless paper and have all the borders up! Yea! It's been raining here for a week so it seemed like a great idea. I covered the boards with some used plastic table cloths. (I knew they would be useful one day!) I'm sooooo glad I didn't have time to clean my closets this spring. I still have my bibs!! I'm way too old for them but what great incentive to ditch ten pounds! I think I'll accessorize with a new tool belt! This is a fun theme. I hope it's OK if I 'borrow' a few of your ideas!! Have a great summer!! This grandma of three little boys is ready to rock!!

4. kermy

kermy Companion

Jun 14, 2008

i never thought of a theme for the year! i'm so excited. and I'm going to start to organize my notes of ideas. I sub right now so i have a bunch of note cards of ideas. Thanks! :)

5. Mrs. Porter

Mrs. Porter Rookie

Jun 20, 2008

Construction Theme

Our school just did a construction theme. "The Road to Success is always under Construction" If you need any other ideas just send me a message.
    ~J:rolleyes:

6. breneem

breneem Rookie

Jun 20, 2008

I used a construction theme this past year, and one coll thing about it was that there was a sign "quiet zone" that I hung above the classroom library, well from day 1 & on the kids asked if they could go to the "quiet zone" instead of the library. In the past, they would ask if they could go to the library, and I would ask "you mean the big one, or this one?" Totally eliminated that :)

7. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 25, 2008

Theme in 5th grade

There are some great ideas here!!! I love to do themes and even the older kids like it. I try to do something different every year. I'm thinking of a Jungle/Safari/Survivor type theme for next year. At the end of the year last year we voted for awards for our classmates (like superlatives) and I made a Survivor certificate for each kid. Since I'm looping with this class, I thought it would be fun to continue this theme with them. Any ideas for things I can do with the theme?

8. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 25, 2008

If I am hired for a 3rd, 4th, or 5th grade classroom, I want to paint my walls in soothing colors and "write" quotes in seemingly random places on the walls. My latest favorite is: "and he takes the sound of my name and draws it on the ground." attributed to Booker T. Washington in More than Anything Else by Marie Bradby. I've been in a reading/spelling methods class this week, and our instructor read this book to us - it had me in tears!

9. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Jun 25, 2008

PW--great idea about the quotes but just in case someone likes the idea but can't paint on their walls there is a web site (I found it on e-bay) that has all kinds of quotes that are stick on letters. They come off the wall easily and they come in different colors and fonts. I am even ordering one from ABC Distributing.

10. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 25, 2008

Wow, great idea, Matt! What did you search for on ebay? Do they have different fonts? I don't know what my future boss (aka P) will allow, so I need to be prepared, lol!

11. ParaPacker

ParaPacker Rookie

Jun 25, 2008

Music to my ears

I teach 5th grade and am always trying new things to keep it interesting for myself. I like to change it up.

I did a theme two years ago based on musical terms. Something like Fifth Graders Rock that was posted earlier. My classroom helpers were the weekly composers. The library was the conservatory, the writing center was the Composition center, the math bulletin board had a piano boarder and said Keys to math success. There were others as well, all my 'notes' home were on note shaped paper. The students that year learned a lot about the music industry through cooperative games and just terminology that I knew and learned for this theme.

The year before that I was piloting a new science curriculum called the Dreams of Flight. We had planes, hot air balloons, blimps, kites, and all sorts of flying machines around the room. All of my jobs were based on airport jobs. Security (line leader), baggage handler (lunch basket), ticket sales (assignment notebook checker)... It goes on and on you can have so much fun with this. Oh and I skydive so I had to throw some of that in there too.

Themes are so much fun and you can truly build your year on it.

Have fun!! The kids will and so will you.:p

12. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jun 26, 2008

I used construction theme last year. I found really cute things at the dollar stores: tool shaped pencil sharpeners, plastic tool boxes, etc. My Bulletin board was "Building Character" and I incorporated the Character Counts program my school uses.

One thing I thought of but didn't get was canvas apron tool belts. I thought it would be great to tie around the back of the students' chairs as a chair pocket.

13. princessa48

princessa48 Companion

Jun 26, 2008

You could always do a literary figures theme, or historical figures. I also like the road map idea!

14. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 26, 2008

tool aprons

I did a construction theme a few years ago. It was great!!! Our PTO also got tool aprons from Home Depot for our Spring Fling - If anyone is thinking about this theme, you might check with them.

15. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 26, 2008

Thanks for sharing, Jem!!! This is great!!!:D

16. jenteach

jenteach Rookie

Jul 5, 2008

I am doing a camping theme this year. I have found a lot of good ideas online for younger classrooms and have just adjusted it a little. I am doing things like a Theme Trail with areas for SS, Science, and Reading themes, and Mountain Math, Writing Waterfall, my behavior system has different items to represent talking (woodpecker), backpack (touching other people's things), bear (being gruff, disrespectful). I have started putting my class together because we start school in 2 weeks and it is really looking cute - I think the students are going to like the outdoorsy and warm feeling of the classroom.

17. Panther

Panther Rookie

Jul 6, 2008

I am returning to 5th grade after having taught 3rd and 2nd for the past three years. I am excited! I have been looking for a theme as well and think I found one here! I love the 5th Graders Rock idea. Our 5th graders are assessed in music and this would be a great way to fit in many of the music terms, etc. I thought maybe I would go to the flea markets or yard sales and find some records (can't wait for the kids to ask what they are) :) and put them around the room with center signs on them. I like the idea of sending notes home to parents on paper with music notes on it. Something along the lines for a newsletter could be "Music to Your Ears". What do you all think and do you have any other wonderful ideas I can "steal"?

18. cartigail

cartigail New Member

May 28, 2010

How about this????

I am not much into the whole cute thing either and last year was my first year in 5th grade as well (after teaching tech for 8 years before being moved) I did my entire classroom in black and white and I LOVED it and so did the kids. Some of my students even dressed in black and white! I found some coasters that were skull and crossbones that I used as warnings for student behavior and that was simple. (found them at the dollar store) I also used a black and white polka dot shoe orangizer as a token bag for each student. I had a great time using this theme. Just debating if I want to continue with it or not. Think I will since I bought so much stuff for it.

BTW - I even found some really cool black & white chairs on craigslist that I used in my reading lounge and the kids loved them too!

Good luck!:D

19. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 28, 2010

Was ther any particular reason you went with black and white?

20. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

May 28, 2010

I had 5th grade this year for the first time and went to "Really Good Stuff" and bought their "Challenge yourself to be successful" posters and banners then did the room in hot pink, orange, purple and lime green with a little black thrown in! We had paper lanterns hanging from the ceiling (dollar store) and I found striped curtains with all of the same colors in it. I also found a bunch of motivational posters in neon colors! We had two reading areas- one with a hot pink butterfly chair and a purple saucer chair with a matching 4x6 rug from Walmart (19.99) some big neon colored pillows--the second had a black and lime green chair w/ ottoman and pillows and matching rug again from Walmart---it ended up being like a guys section and a girls section---but it never deterred them from sitting in either area. Besides reading areas, I used these areas as rewards and let kids work in the chairs using the ottomans and clipboards! The kids loved the room and thought it was "grown-up" but soo cool.