Class theme for 5th grade

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by 4myclass, Jun 2, 2007.

1. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Jun 2, 2007

I just got assigned to 5th for next year. I would like to have a theme for the room. Any ideas? I don't want to be to babyish or cutesy. I would like to have a theme that can carry throughout the year.

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 2, 2007

I haven't had too much time to think about themes yet. I never really seen themes done in upper grades. But here are some ideas I thought about:
    rock 'n roll
    ocean

4. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Jun 2, 2007

I was kinda thinking something like Journey to Success as a classroom theme. Maybe with a road going around the room or something like that.
    Hey Peachy, have you thought of joining the postcard exchange? I just did and that's why I was thinking about a theme with roadmaps, roadsigns, etc. I just think it will be a fun way to teach geography and visit different states. 5th grade is going to be so fun!

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 2, 2007

Yes, I'll have to join! Thanks for that idea. I like your idea of Journey to Sucess as a theme.

Well, I just went there and they already have 2 people for CA. Oh well.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 2, 2007

Character ed themes are great for this age group because they are very conscious of social interaction and peer influences. Have you ever gone to www.teachingtolerance.org ? It has a lot of good free materials.

7. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Jun 2, 2007

Man, that stinks. I think your class would be great to exchange postcards with. If you get into another exchange, let me know, I would love to work with your class. You seem very enthusiastic and I think it's contagious because I caught it. :rolleyes: Thanks for that.
    There are also Flat Stanley projects that I thought would be fun. You might look into those.

8. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Jun 2, 2007

I definitely want to teach Character Ed in my class. Maybe use a character word of the week. Thanks for the Char. Ed. website, I will definitely use it to get ideas.

9. Mrs.Rhinochunks

Mrs.Rhinochunks Companion

Jun 2, 2007

I am going to teach 5th next year too and I am going to have a similar theme. Kind of a USA based theme. Not so much patriotic but more about road maps. I am going to have a HUGE map of the US and a medium map of AZ (where I'll be teaching).

I have been an avid post card collector for several years and by having the very large map I can put the post cards on it. I have also heard of a program called Trucker Budies International that pairs truck drivers with classrooms.

I really favor the use of maps because you can tie so much of the curriculum and lessons tot he overall theme. By the 5th grade, maps can be used in math, writing, reading, art, social studies, science (enrgy and green ways to travel and transport goods)

This is probably not the direction you are headed but because I am leaning towards a USA theme and I want to introduce students to American institutions I may label the classroom library the "Library of Congress", the science center "the Smithsonian" - Maybe not so much label the centers as coincidentally have a picture of theose buildings near those centers. I think I will also have a time line that includes when each state joined the union and then incorporate student birthdays by having a board that reads "these students joined the union..."

I keep a 3x5 spiral notebook and whenever I have an idea or read a good idea I write it in my notebook. Eventually I will weed out the ideas I do not want but it helps me to create a cohesive idea about how will organize my classroom and how it will look. This of course is ironic since I will not see my classroom until the week befor school starts. Which, I guess is all the more reason to really be thinking ahead.

After reading your post I am thinking it would be cool to include street/road signs into my theme.

Also with a "Journey to Success" theme you can talk about different kinds of transportation and travel... ships, horse and wagon, space, motorized vehicles, transportation over time etc..

Good luck! Have great year!

10. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Jun 2, 2007

Thanks, I am really getting excited. My school sits on old route 66 and this year is Oklahoma's centenial year. There is so much that I think that I can pull into this theme. My mind is spinning with ideas.

11. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 2, 2007

I did a theme last year with Put Your Best Foot Forward. Could you use shoes with the kids names and include the quote about "A journey of a thousnd miles begins with a single step."?

12. BookWorm6

BookWorm6 Rookie

Jun 2, 2007

I teach fifth grade as well. This year our theme was the VIP's of fifth grade (Very Important Pupils). We had a red carpet made from butcher paper for the first day, and created little backstage passes for them with their names, seat number, classroom number etc. They really liked that theme, and it carried through during the school year. Next year I think I might go with a "construction" theme. "Lives Under Construction" or something of that nature. Good luck!

13. LATechTeacher

LATechTeacher Companion

Jun 2, 2007

70's Theme

A friend of mine taught 5th grade, and had a groovy guys and gals theme. She used smiley faces, volkswagon cars, peace signs, and different 70 syle decor. It was really cute, and colorful! I think the kids liked it too. Good luck!

14. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 2, 2007

I really like your VIP idea. Actually, I like all the ideas so far. I'm glad I have the whole summer to decide!

15. Mrs.Rhinochunks

Mrs.Rhinochunks Companion

Jun 3, 2007

Hoover,

I was just doing some thinking and reading and thought I would throw out a couple of thoughts/ideas...

I think if you go to a craft store (Michaels/JoAnn's) or a scrapbook store you could probably find paper, cutouts, stickers that are road sign or Route 66 themed. I have also seen fabric that has road signs on it and wouldn't be surprised if there is Route 66 fabric available. This could be used to cover bulletin boards.

Your hall passes could be yield signs or stop signs, if you have year-end goals you could mark them off as mile posts (similar to the thermometer idea where the closer to the goal, the higher the temperature), maybe street signs that say "caution: students learning" or "caution: minds under construction".

Since Route 66 stretches from L.A. to Chicago, maybe a map or black band w/ yellow stipes simulating a road or something else along that line of thinking that stretches from the west wall in your classroom across the south wall and to the east wall. On it you could put pictures of sights that can be seen as you travel along Route 66 and have them spaced according to their approximate distance from each other. Maybe look online and find the state's "Welcome to_________" signs and put them along the "route".

How about name tags that look like license plates?

Just some ideas,
    Mrs. Rhinochunks

16. SnowDaisy822

SnowDaisy822 Companion

Jun 3, 2007

I teach 5th grade and this last year we started with "Racing into 5th Grade" and everything was race car themed and everything. Next year I'm going to do a team theme and make shirts with their last names and class numbers on them to hang on the wall.

17. 5thgraderocks

5thgraderocks Companion

Jun 3, 2007

One of my favorites is the USA theme ... especially if you're starting from scratch! If you wait until after the 4th, you'll find lots of bargains! It fits in with Labor Day, Constitution Day and Veterans Day. When I use this theme, our Halloween pumpkins are Patriotic as well as S.Claus. After Christmas, you're set for President's Day. Before you know it ... Memorial Day arrives and its time to pack up your USA thematic room for the year!

18. ITeach4Him

ITeach4Him Comrade

Jun 3, 2007

Not trying to threadjack, :), but may help Hoover, too...my team has been assigned Europe to decorate this year. Each grade level got a continent. Any ideas for Europe? You all have such great ideas. Thanks in advance!

19. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Jun 3, 2007

Wow Rhinochuncks, you have some great ideas! You know, I don't even know yet is I have bulletin boards. I assume I will. Can't wait to see my room so that I can figure out where to start.
    Thanks everyone for all your wonderful ideas.

20. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 4, 2007

I just saw some "construction" posters at the store today that said things like "Pass with Hard Work" and "U turn in homework U get better grades" (imagine a U-turn sign). I thought of you right off!

21. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jun 4, 2007

I teach 5th, and my theme is bees, with some bright colors thrown in. I just try to make my room as cozy and welcoming as possible.